Photo Comparison: 2016 BMW 7 Series vs. Mercedes S-Class and Audi A8

7-series | June 15th, 2015 by 22
Bild Vergleich BMW 7er 750Li G12 Audi A8 L W12 Mercedes S Klasse S600 2015 03 750x500

The 2016 BMW 7 Series reshuffles the cards in the luxury class: The luxury sedan from Munich takes aim at both the Mercedes S-Class and the Audi A8.

The new 7 Series brings its A-game to this segment with a Carbon Core lightweight construction which lowers the weight by 130 kilograms compares with the previous generation, therefore making it by far the lightest luxury sedan in Germany.

With its low weight, the new BMW 7 Series generation lays the foundation for agile handling and lower fuel consumption, while also bringing the latest infotainment technology to market. New assistance systems and electronic aids, such as the BMW Display Key with Remote Control Parking underscore the leadership of the new BMW 7 Series.

Bild Vergleich BMW 7er 750Li G12 Audi A8 L W12 Mercedes S Klasse S600 2015 06 750x562

BMW’s new 730d weighs in at 1,830 kilograms, including 75 kg for driver and luggage. Both the Audi A8 3.0 TDI quattro ultra as well Mercedes S350d have a weight of 1955 kg. At the high-end of the class, the 750i xDrive has a weight of 1945 kg, 50 kilos less than the Audi A8 4.0 TFSI quattro. The Mercedes S500 4Matic give the Swabians a curb weight of 2050 kilograms.

Bild-Vergleich-BMW-7er-750Li-G12-Audi-A8-L-W12-Mercedes-S-Klasse-S600-2015-01

Thanks to new or revised engines, the consumption of the BMW 7 Series G11 is more than impressive: With an EU consumption from 4.5 to 4.9 liters, the new BMW 730d undercuts its competitors significantly. The comparable Mercedes S350 D consumes under identical conditions from 5.5 to 6.1 liters while the Audi A8 3.0 TDI quattro ultra requires 5.7 liters.

Bild-Vergleich-BMW-7er-750Li-G12-Audi-A8-L-W12-Mercedes-S-Klasse-S600-2015-07

As always, we have put together a photo comparison showing the three luxury sedans from all possible angles.

[Photos: Bimmertoday]

22 responses to “Photo Comparison: 2016 BMW 7 Series vs. Mercedes S-Class and Audi A8”

1. JustAName says:

7-series, hands down. It’s even an easy win if you ask me.

2. Jigstraw says:

I find these photo comparisons very valuable. I really think it’s one of BMWBLOG’s signature items and you do them well. But when you have three cars (which is rare) it would be much more effective to put the BMW in the middle, as you can get a true side-by-side comparison.

3. Kaisuke971 says:

Front: I don’t know but… The more i see it the less i like it actually. The A8 might look a lot like its smaller siblings, up front, i prefer its traits. Yes they are more conventional but it just looks good. When you put them side by side, it looks it’s not even trying yet it looks better up front. If i really wanted a big executive car in my market, i’d prefer the front to look like the one of the A8. A Modern, classy, but still simple figure, the figure of a true success. When you’ve worked hard but you stay humble, the A8 is totally traducing what you are, at least up front. But in this class, the best looking front is the Maserati by far ! I’d say Quattroporte, A8, S-Klasse, XJ, 7 Series.

Once we come to the rear, well, the A8 is actually te worst to me. It doesn’t try at all, and it just doesn’t look good enough. Here ? Not fair because it’s the V8 vs V12 and W12. But i think it’ll be the 7… If the XJ didn’t exist x). I say XJ, 7 series, S-Klasse, Quattroporte, A8

Side: 7 series , Quattroporte, S-Klasse, XJ, A8. The hockey stick just works so well with the executive 20″ wheels :O

On the interior the things start to get interesting: the 7 looks more modern, and the S more executive, but i actually prefer the 7. A8 ? Shitty here, sorry Audi x)
    So: 7series , S-Klasse, Quattroporte, XJ, A8.

Finally, for the design, overall, i think it’s actually the 7 that comes first.

4. mattbianco says:

My preference, in order:
    Front: MB, BMW, Audi (Passat-like, with a long nose)
    Back: BMW, MB, Audi
    Side: Audi, BMW, MB
    Inside: BMW, Audi, MB (weird angles and shapes, two ugly screens, neither symmetry nor complimentary shapes)

Hold a gun to my head and make me choose? I’d pick either BMW or MB, pull the hammer, and I’d say BMW.

5. Dat510 says:

Here is my preferece:
    Head lights: MB, BMW, Audi
    Front bumper: BMW, Audi, MB
    Rims: BMW, Audi, MB
    Tail lights: BMW, MB, Audi
    Tail pipe: BMW, MB, Audi
    Steering wheel: BMW, MB, Audi
    Air vents: BMW: MB, Audi

The 7 has more luxury version of rear cabin, I think it would be better put it in the comparison instead of the one in the photos. :D

6. Phoris says:

Quick tip, if you look at the upside down photo of the back of the bimmer you get the A8’s taillights. And vice-versa, call it magic… Or lack of inspiration?

7. Shark says:

7 series with it evolutionary design it takes time to understand it because it resembles futuristic modern design mercedes and Audi are too traditional . Bmw beautifull athletic guy wearing a suit . The others are chappy billionaires with a lot of accessories . Bmw the leaders in innovation and design

8. viper says:

here goes:
    the front…neither three are pretty but I give the S class slight advantage over a8 and 7.
    The side. S class wins hand down , looks fluid , solid , and more relaxed than more simple audi , and busy & nervous 7er
    rear: a8 and 7er share the same rear , weird.
    the interior: very tricky all three are very good: the S class is both retro and modern and very fluid , a8 is top quality fit and finish very modern and the 7er for some reason reminds me of darth vader , looks cool and the rear seats photos SUCK because both S nad A8 are with the executive lounges and 7er is not although it’s available ! pretty lousy job whoever chose the pictures..

9. John Paul Reis says:

The A8 has an amazing exterior facelift but the interior was not changed at all, it is in need of a huge upgrade now that the 7 Series and S Class have totally new interiors. Audi better do their homework.

10. bernio says: