Rendering: 2012 BMW 1 Series Convertible

Rumors | August 2nd, 2010 by 14
2012 bmw 1 series convertible rendering 100317300 l 750x500 Rendering: 2012 BMW 1 Series Convertible

The first generation BMW 1 Series Coupe and Convertible was introduced in 2008, but in just under two years, the second generation 1 Series will make their debut. Test mules are yet to  show up on public roads, since the main focus being for now is centered on the Hatchback models.

As a preview to what we might expect to see in the new model, rendering artists give us computer generated images of the next 1 Series Convertible. As expected, the design lines introduced by the recent BMW models, 5 and 7 Series, 5 GT and even the Z4, are serving as inspiration to these renderings. The latest styling theme characterized by a protruding nose and oversized grille and wraparound headlights, is also present in the images below.

The new 1 Series Convertible  is built on a slightly longer and wider wheelbase, a common trait in the newest BMW models.

2012 bmw 1 series convertible rendering 100317300 l 655x409 Rendering: 2012 BMW 1 Series Convertible

Our sources indicate that new three and four turbo engines will be used across the 1 Series models, from a 1.3 liter engine with 136 horsepower to a new 1.3-liter turbo powerplant developing 177 horsepower. The gasoline version, dubbed N30, comes in displacements of 1.2 and 1.5 liters with power output of ranging from 70 to 184 horsepower. At the high-end of the line-up, the 135i will be using the N55 Twin-Scroll engine.

In the diesel segment, a new three-cylinder 1.5 liter N37 engine will have a power output ranging from 110 to 125 horsepower. The threes-cylinder engines will use about 10 percent less fuel.

Stop-start technology and electrical-regenerative systems will carry over into the new series, as well as possible new EfficientDynamics technologies such as heat-recovery systems and solar panels.

Despite several rumors, the BMW 1 Series will continue to remain a rear-wheel drive vehicle only and we expect the new 1 Series Convertible and Coupe to be unveiled at the end of 2011.

[Source: MotorAuthority ]

14 responses to “Rendering: 2012 BMW 1 Series Convertible”

1. M5POWER says:

The front looks a lot like a 5GT. Though I expect more to come…

2. okeribok says:

I hope the sides will be lower than the current model. It’s pretty weird and unattractive to see only a head sticking out. Besides: I’d like to be able rest my arm on the door, so at least my shoulder should stick out above the window line. I’m 6’2″ btw.

• Wooo hoo. says:

Isn’t that a safety issue? (high shoulderline)

• FreudeKing says:

Sorry but if you are 6’2″ with long legs and want to stick body parts out the car, you should try adjust the seat upwards. I quite like the high profile of the 1 Series, it certainly makes me feel secure… and no, not only my head sticks out.

Check the 1 Series side crash test, it achieved 100% a fews years ago if I remember correctly.

• okeribok says:

If I adjust my seat upwards, I will loose some feel with the car. Sitting as low as possible gives the greatest (feeling of) control, or so I have been tought at advanced drivers training.
        Haven’t you noticed the increasing height on the shoulderlines on recent cars? I think it looks stupid. They should get their safety elsewhere.

• FreudeKing says:

I think the 1 Series shoulder height is good. I most certainly don’t want to feel like I will be thrown out the window in an event of a side crash like the Renault MPVs. Feel with the car shouold be through the steering, pedals and the back rest (esp if you’ve got hugging sports seats). I don’t think the height of the seat makes that much of a difference.

In fact, if you say your head is the only part that can be seen through the window, don’t you feel like a midget in an already compact 1 Series???

3. ABK says:

The BMW design involution goes even further! Couple of years ago I was laughing about Audis’ and how they all look alike. Now check this out and compare it with all the new models released by BMW.

4. v1p3r says:

I’m willing to bet that it’ll look NOTHING like this rendering. This is just a 5er GT front end pasted onto the current 1 vert body

5. FreudeKing says:

I think it is a nice looking car.

6. elgee says:

to much of the 5gt at the front

7. efoza says:

Good choice of the success in 5GT design.

8. Giom says:

Yea, I don’t think they’ll combine the GT and 5 series front-ends and call it the one series… Regardless, good photoshop job.

9. Kenee says:

perfect 5 GT influence. It is a great version of the real thing for those who want a 5 GT’s good looks without the size and price – of course.