This BMW 2002 project was for sale on eBay for the reasonable price of $104,990. Since the listing went up a few days ago, the seller has ended it without explaining the reasons behind it.
Paul Cain, a long time vintage BMW enthusiast, completed this BMW 2002 project in 2017. He is also one of the co-founders of the Legends of the Autobahn event in Monterey.
Working together with his brother Joe and Tom Rakestraw – a BMW enthusiast and local architect – they set off to take a brainstorm idea of the “Ultimate BMW 2002” from paper to reality. This endeavor would evolve into over a half-decade of late nights that would empty bank accounts.
Paul purchased this 1972 BMW 200tii in 2000 and had been restored to take the body and technology of a BMW 2002 turbo. His goal was to build a perfect 50/50 weight balanced 2002 with lots of drivable power and as lightweight as possible – by using all BMW OEM parts.
The final result is a twin-turbocharged, M54 6-cylinder, 335 horsepower, 5-speed manual with a nearly perfect 51/49 weight distribution. That balance was achieved, in part, by modifying a transmission to move it rearward, placing it just ahead of the differential.
Full project details:
- 3.0 Liter 4 valve dual overhead cam aluminium M54 straight 6 cylinder:
- KKK (custom built) twin turbochargers
- Fuel Injected (Autronic engine management system)
- Bosch Motorsport fuel pump
- One off custom carbon fiber intake manifold
- 335hp/316tq at the rear wheels (at 0.6 bar of boost)
- All BMW custom transaxle (Getrag 265 5-speed gearbox)
- ZF power rack and pinion with 2.1 turns lock to lock
- M5 rear axle with Quaiffe torque sensing differential, 3.73:1
- 304 stainless exhaust system with titanium rear mufflers
- 51% / 49% weigh distribution
- Brembo 4-piston brakes (same as Porsche 993 Twin Turbo Big Reds)
- Custom valved Bilstein coil over suspension
- Factory Alpina 17×8 wheels
- Full custom leather interior:
- Custom Scheel-style sport seats with vintage corduroy inserts
- Extra set of custom Kevlar Recaro Pole Position seats:
- Available for additional fee
- Alcantera and/or Perforated seat inserts (sport vs. city)
- 2002 Turbo gauge cluster pod with 7k rpm redline
- All extra gauges in correct BMW font
- Vintage Autoflug harnesses available for additional fee
- BMW OEM navy blue carpet (period correct)
- Custom built rear seating (delete) area in correct OEM look
- Custom 8 point rollcage discretely welded into A, B and C pillars
- Tig welded
- Custom laser cut mounting brackets
- Ties together transaxle and front/rear shock tower brace
- Custom formed carbon fiber hood and trunk lids
- Duplicate steel painted steel set available for an additional fee
- OEM 2002 Turbo flairs and front/rear spoilers
- Custom OEM style badging, stripping, mirror etching, and engine decals
- Xenon headlamps custom fabricated to fit the original Hella H1 design