Earlier this year, our BMWBLOG 1M Project Car received a new upgrade: a BMW M Performance Steering Wheel with Racing Display. The supped up steering wheel is available in the M Performance Catalog and come with Alcantara and carbon trim, along with a racing-type of display.
Continue Reading Below
The display positioned at the top of steering wheel is inspired by the F1 technology and shows various information relevant to the driving mode you’re in. For example, the ECO PRO mode is all about fuel consumption, while the SPORT mode focuses on track-based metrics, such as lap timer and stopwatch, and G Forces information.
Many of you that have seen our posts on Facebook or Instagram have reached out to ask how difficult it is to install it. In some cases, the respective owners were quoted a few hundred dollars by BMW dealerships or other shops to replace the standard steering wheel with this new one.
With the help of 1Addicts member we will share a visual guide of the actual installation. Of course, the process is to be performed at your own risk and remember that the qualified BMW Service Technicians have received extensive training for the installations.
1. Not very big Flathead Screwdriver
2. 16mm socket with wrench and extensions
3. T15 torx socket ( i think it is T15 but I might be wrong)
4. Very small flathead screwdriver or Small Pik
5. 10mm socket
6. Plastic Pry Tools (RECOMMENDED)
Before you start taking everything apart you need to read PDF Instructions and get familiar with it.
– Make sure you understand what goes where. After you did that, I would recommend to label supplied BMW harness with A1,A2,A3,A4,A5,A6, and A7 tags. It will be easier to figure out what goes where.
1. Make sure you have your trunk open and I would recommend also lowering your windows and leave your key away from the car (if comfort access equipped)
2. Disconnect your Battery and make sure your (-) Negative terminal will not touch the battery, I kept a micro-fiber under neath to avoid contact
3. Next remove all trim work on both sides of the footwells, use caution as the trims and clips are fragile if not taken into account for your own strength.
6. Next remove the driver footwell covering ( 3 T20 screws or T15s I forget)
7. Then completely remove the driver footwell panel (USE CAUTION PULLING CONNECTORS OFF)
8. Next remove the passenger side foot well and side kick plate (CAREFUL there are 2 plastic tabs that hold it into place use your plastic pry tools to remove.)
12. Read PDF installation and remove Blue/Red wire from Pin1 and Red from Pin2. Insert A3 into Pin1 and A4 into Pin2. Now install wires that you removed from Pin1 and Pin2 into Connector E – Pulling out wires from Pin1 and Pin2
15. Install the control module B
16. Install the Black connector into Blue connector and then reinstall Blue connector. I used zip-tie to get all those wires together. Gotta keep it neat !
18. Now feed the remaining 2 connectors thru the console and have them out the driver side
19. Next remove the Air Bag Module using a flat blade screw driver to reach the release tabs. Next disconnect the connectors using a small flat blade screwdriver to remove the connector security tabs.
22. Now we need to remove upper/lower steering column trim. Pull the upper part first. Pull it up and do one side at a time. You can use your plastic pry tools again and push it up from the inside, but be very careful and take your time.
24.Make sure not to pull the whole assembly out of the column. Very Important. Unclip all the clips and remove just the Coil spring cartridge and nothing else. These are the clips that are holding it on the side, so make sure to unclip them
25. Bring the white connector up the steering column.
Read PDF instruction and remove wires from the Black connector (it has 6 wires in it) and insert them into A7 white connector. They are numbered 1-6 and you need to insert them the same way … #1 from Black connector goes to #1 in A7 White connector and so on …
28. Next transfer over your controls and trim to the new Performance Wheel V2
29. Re-Install Wheel – Transfer everything from your old wheel to your new PSW and install everything back. Read the PDF file. Connect black connector from the new Coil spring cartridge to the Green connector on you new PSW. The rest is the same. In PDF file it says to connect Black connector to Black but it is actually Green and not Black. Just FIY.
30. COMPLETED Simply test and re install all trim work after you have verified working.