After tens of official photos, we are bringing you the first real life photos of the new 2011 BMW X3. The second generation X3 has been redesigned from the ground up and went through an extensive exterior redesign.
The new model is built under the codename F25 and compared to the first generation, the 2011 X3 is a half-inch taller, 3.4 inches longer and 1.1 inches wider than the current model, similar dimensions with first generation BMW X5. Stretched longer and wider, the X3 now sits squatter, with a more aggressive stance than the X3 it replaces.
In our previous articles, we noted the flowing lines along the belt line that both mix and contrast with staunch, boxy lines squaring off the vehicle. Headlights are near “E36″ in their rectangular, boxed shape. Two round foglights sit high on the font bumper, now a BMW design hallmark of recent vehicles. T shaped tail lights blend the latest light emitting diode (LED) technology with traditional design.
The rear green house maintains similar basic proportions to the original X3, with a “slant-back” hatch design.
2011 BMW X3 Details
- Available at the end of 2010 in the U.S.
- Manufactured at Spartanburg plant in South Carolina
- New engines, eight-speed automatic transmission, innovative suspension technology and BMW EfficientDynamics.
- Two engine variants at time of market launch: BMW X3 xDrive20d with four-cylinder diesel engine (135 kW/184 bhp) and BMW X3 xDrive35i with straight six-cylinder petrol engine (225 kW/306 bhp). The engine used is the N55 twin-scroll
- Auto Start Stop function featured for the first time in conjunction with six-cylinder engine and eight-speed automatic transmission.
- BMW xDrive featured as standard, Performance Control optional.
- Newly conceived suspension technology, electric power steering featured for the first time in a BMW X model, variable sports steering optional.
- First BMW X model with optional Damper Control and Dynamic Drive Control.
- Highest degree of interior variability thanks to folding and 40 : 20 : 40-split rear seat backrests, maximum luggage compartment volume: 1,600 litres.