With two weeks left before the Geneva Motor Show, the BMW propaganda machine continues to provide bits of information on the upcoming BMW M1 Concept to be revealed at the Swiss auto show.
The one and only Scott27 returns with further details on the M1, this time, around its cosmetic personalization program, and BMW’s goal to allow for any enthusiast out there to customize their car prior to taking delivery.
Here is a summary of his report that can be found below:
- Carbon fiber hood (bonnet)
- Carbon fiber trunk (bootlid) with integrated spoiler
- Carbon fiber mirrors
- Carbon fiber front splitters
- Carbon fiber rear valence diffuser
- Carbon fiber sideskirts
- M-stripes (available in M tricolors, Alpine White, or Ferric Gray)
- M-stripes may be placed on left, central, or right hand side of car. Additional stripes can be incorporated along the side of the car.
- 18″ competition wheels in two finishes
- BMW shadowline chrome can be extended to the front kidney grills and rear exhaust ports (titanium effect finish will be an option).
- Matte paint options : Frozen Gray, Frozen Black, Ice White.
- Techno Violet option (including all additional colors from other M-vehicles)
- Seats available in full and half-leather using M tri-color pattern on center of seats (like E30 / M3 Evo).
- M tricolor pattern on door panels (like E30 / M3 Evo)
- Carbon fiber dashboard panels / Aluminum panel options.
- Titanium and body color matched pieces extending to the door handles and gear shift surround trim.
- Alacantra seat fabric and roof headliner.
BMW M1 Report:
When introduced as a Concept precursor to the BMW performance packet for the 1er Coupe. The Tii Concept introduced a modern day approach to personalization.
Having already established a successful personalization program for the MINI brand. Concept Tii introduced the early stages to what can be achieved for the BMW brand.
The Tii Concept unveiled at the Tokyo Motor Show in 2007 in a land where personalization is a common theme amongst younger domestic Japanese customers previewed the imminent BMW Performance range a customization package for the 1er Coupe.
Although the BMW Performance package has been established. BMW are still aware of the After market companies that offer enthusiasts more diversity some at the cost to the official BMW warranty.
The M1 aims to be a new form of concept for BMW by offering a personalization program to the specific demographic although the elements will be purely cosmetic.
Although introduced on the BMW 1er Coupe Tii Concept but never carried over to the BMW Performance range was the Carbon Fibre bonnet.
The BMW M1 will offer as a part of the personalization program this feature as well as an optional Carbon Fiber bootlid with integrated Spoiler. other Carbon Fiber features to be presented as options include mirrors , front splitters , rear valance and side skirts. This will allow the customer to add these additional lightweight aids to the standard Carbon Fiber Roof.
Taking a look back from history will be the return of M stripes which can be ordered in the M Tri-color or in Alpine White or Ferric Grey. The stripes can be ordered to be placed on each the left , central or right hand side of the car allowing a continuation from the front of the car’s facia flowing over the roof right down to the rear bumper. M-Bonnet Stripes can also be ordered being placed MINI style on the grooves of the hood. Additional stripes can be incorporated along the side “character line” across the car , classic reversed “Turbo” signs can
Alloy wheel choices will begin with standard 18″ 5 spoke wheels in two finishes , optional will be 18″ competition wheels again in two finishes. BMW shadowline chrome can be extended to the front kidney grilles and rear exhaust ports. A titanium effect finish will be an option.
The interior will offer a Motorsport haven by a combination of standard Sports seats in a combination of leather , half-leather full fabric using an M Tri-Color pattern on the central part of the seats and door panels similar in effect to the classic E30 series M3 Evo.
The Dash area of the car will offer Unique Carbon Fiber dash capping as well as aluminum effect , Titanium and body color which extends to the door grabs and gearbox surround . Alacantra for the seats and roof headlining will be an option.
Matte Paint options will be exclusive to the M1 and available in Frozen Grey and Black and Ice White. additional colors will carry over from other M Vehicles along with colors exclusive to the M1 including a new update of “Techno Violet”
The Tii Concept and the addition of BMW Performance has established that there is a market for an in-house personalization program for M vehicles although aimed at the cosmetic aspect additional Performance upgrades will be introduced as an extended vehicle option.
The BMW M1 will be the test case for the M Personalization program but it is highly likely the M3 will eventually offer something similar.[Source: 1Addicts ]