Since most of the dealerships have received their BMW 1-series this week, many people have had the chance to pick up their cars, so therefore, lots of reviews have been posted all over the BMW forums. I've said in the past and I will say it again, I kinda like these reviews since it gives a more personal touch and even though they're not as professional as the reviews done by the car magazines, I still find them very useful and I enjoy seeing the true bimmer fans telling us about their latest Ultimate Driving Machine.
A few days ago, we have posted an article on the first U.S delivery of the 1-series and what an excitement moment that was for all the 1-series addicts. Today, we have some more short reviews and we will start with SL01, a member of the previously mentioned forum.
Here is what he had to say about his new BMW 135i.
My quick review (coming from an RX-8):
- +As others have said, photos do not do this car justice – it is simply stunning in person
- +Comfort access rocks
- +Blue-tooth works very well – everyone I called could tell I was using hands-free, but said I was easy to hear. And I don't talk loud.
- +The Boston leather is fantastic. It looks great and is soft and supple (it and the sports steering wheel materials reminded me of the Lexus IS-350 I test drove last summer).
- +The car feels very solid — it's quiet and refined on the road, but the engine has a nice snarl to it.
- +Low end torque… wow, just wow. No turbo lag…. if I didn't know, I wouldn't know.
- +The steering and brakes are excellent – I felt right at home immediately.
- +The clutch has a very good feel to it. Surprisingly, I think it's lighter than the 8's, or maybe just has a different feel… dunno, but I like it.
- -The gearbox isn't quite as good as the RX-8's. The throws are a bit on the long side and I find myself hunting for 3rd gear (I'm used to just gently pushing up, but that doesn't seem to quite work). I also accidentally put it in reverse at a stop light!
- -I-drive has a definite learning curve
All in all, I'm a very happy camper.