Listen to the BMW M8 exhaust, try and figure out the engine

8-Series, News | May 27th, 2017 by 26
BMW M8 PRE PRODUCTION 27 830x553

Okay, so we’ve officially seen the BMW M8 prototype in the camouflaged flesh. BMW enthusiasts have been waiting decades for such a vehicle to materialize and now it’s here. To quote a movie I’ve seen the commercial of too many times, it’s very, very exciting. So now that it’s here, there are going to be endless fans analyzing the most minute of details to try and figure out what’s underneath.

At its premiere, some attendees caught a glimpse of its exhaust note. We don’t know what lies under the hood, as BMW hasn’t released any official information. But that isn’t going to stop anyone from speculating.

In this short clip, we hear an incredibly deep growl and bark. There’s little of the typical high-revving BMW rasp we’re used to.Β I’ve heard and read some people comparing its sound to that of an AMG V8. That comparison seems pretty spot-on to me, as it doesn’t have that racy sound of a BMW V8 and doesn’t sound much like the F90 M5.

That sound!!!

A post shared by sgCarMart (@sgcarmart) on

Admittedly, this could just be a pre-production exhaust and not what the final car sounds like. Or, it could be a completely new engine for BMW M, based on a new family of engines. We don’t think it’s anything larger than a V8. While there are some rumors of a V12, it’s not like BMW M to put such a heavy engine in the front of a car.

So we’re thinking some sort of V8, whether or not it’s the S63. But I’ll leave it to you to discuss. What do you think is under the hood of BMW’s latest performance car?

26 responses to “Listen to the BMW M8 exhaust, try and figure out the engine”

1. Kaisuke971 says:

I’m pretty sure it’s a new block, and that we’ve already heard it in these 8 series and X7 prototypes

2. Guillaume Perret says:

probably a classic crossplane V8 with some tweaks on the exhausts in order to sound more like flatplane

3. iNoob says:

M8 will be a hybrid

4. Joseph Rincon says:

New engine. Definetly a V8. Not the S63 though. That engine has a certain sound tune to it.

5. Mfan560hp says:

Hard to say for me as im not a motorist.
    But It doesn’t sound like my V8….which I’m glad coz it’s way too quiet! :(
    So if it’s a crossplane V8 with some tweaks in the exhaust done for me.
    If it’s a ANGRY V12 I’m happier coz it’s “sounds” noble and prestigious πŸ’ͺπŸ‘πŸ‘ŠπŸ‘
    furthermore the hierarchy will be respected towards other M models.
    Greetings from France to every car loversπŸ˜‰

6. Maxime Durez says:

Could it be a new 4 liter V8? Some time ago I’ve read that they would supply these engines to JLR as well. http://www.bmwblog.com/2016/07/22/bmw-sell-v8-engines-jaguar-land-rover/
    It would fit in their strategy to build modular engines with 500cc per cylinder.

• iNoob says:

Was thinking about the same thing, but a 4 liter wouldt make sense in a M8 when the M5 uses a 4.4

• Maxime Durez says:

True, but it would make sense to debut a completely new engine in their flagship M model. It would explain why people say it doesn’t sound like the 4.4 from the F90.

7. PoweredbyM says:

Deff a twin turbo V8

8. maxnix says:

Not the V12, for sure.

9. Rick Morty says:

I believe the M8 will use a V8 engine, lighter and very powerful! I also hope there will be 860 model with the same V12 from the M760! That would be awesome.

10. SydneyBlue120d says:

I wonder if and when we will get a V8 based on B48 and most of all a V12 based on B58 platforms, that would be amazing!

11. Crux says:

Best TT engine ///M Div has put out. S68 4.0? The pitch & high rev sound must not be from the 4.4? I don’t know its just a guess. Different sound category but tech wise its like a ferrari cross-plane V8.