BMW 1 Series Sedan introduced at the 2016 Guangzhou Auto Show

1-series, Auto Shows | November 19th, 2016 by 25
BMW 1 Series sedan front three quarter world debut 750x500

Earlier this week, the BMW 1 Series Sedan was introduced to the world at the 2016 Guangzhou Auto Show. Although only of the Chinese market, the 1 Series sedan should help BMW in the segment currently dominated by the Audi A3 and Mercedes-Benz CLA Class.

The 1 Series sedan measures 4,456 mm in length, 1,803 mm in width and 1,446 mm in height, and has a wheelbase of 2,670 mm.The proportions are similar to a compact/medium size sedan. It’s proportioned well, handsome and sporty looking, even with its front-wheel drive layout. It features some good-sized kidney grilles, and the headlights and taillights are some of the prettiest in the current BMW lineup.

BMW 1 Series sedan front world debut 750x500

The top-end model has a dual-tone beige and black color combo with a floating dashboard that has a center console angled towards the driver. It features a three-spoke multi-function steering wheel, Start & Stop button, electric brake, full color Head-Up Display, 8.8-inch LED central screen, and BMW iDrive system.

BMW 1 Series sedan dashboard world debut 750x500

At launch, the BMW 1 Series Sedan will be available in three petrol variants: 118i, 120i and 125i. The base 118i is powered by a 136 hp 1.5-litre TwinPower turbo three-cylinder engine paired with a 6-speed automatic gearbox, while the 192 hp 120i and 231 hp 125i will pack a 2.0L TwinPower four-cylinder engine mated to an 8-speed automatic gearbox.

BMW-1-Series-sedan-rear-world-debut

[Photos: IndianAutosBlog]

25 responses to “BMW 1 Series Sedan introduced at the 2016 Guangzhou Auto Show”

1. Kaisuke971 says:

Looks very good inside and out, maybe the rear is a bit too cartoonish but that’s it really. This looks better than the CLA and is on par with the A3 sedan imo.

2. Fritz says:

Just nitpicking here, but it’s a ‘head-up screen’ in this case.

3. JRobUSC says:

BMW is out of their damn minds not selling this car in the U.S. Audi and Benz are each selling 2-3k A3’s and CLA’s per month here. If BMW had had this car here the entire year and were able to simply split the pot of buyers with Audi and Benz (i.e. take a third of each of theirs) they’d be “winning” the luxury sales crown here in the U.S., and they’d be selling cars to new buyers that would likely graduate upwards to more expensive models over time. Instead they split niches with X4’s (and soon X2’s), low volume models that do nothing of the sort. They need this car here ASAP.

4. Mark O'Neal says:

Another failure. bmw is just an idiotic brand.

• Fritz says:

Duly noted.

• Matt Stokes says:

Thanks for your input Mark,

We’ve arranged a tele-conference with the BMW Group board of directors to discuss the issues you’ve taken the time to highlight today. Rest assured that you feelings are of the utmost importance, and certainly override the expertise of the 122,000 BMW Group employee, and the owners of the 10’s of millions of BMW’s on the road.

We also take assurance from knowing that we don’t appeal to those with single digit IQs… so thanks again.

• Mark O'Neal says:

Thank you, Matt. Please also inform the bmw group board of directors that bmw is an absolute rubbish when put next to Mercedes-Benz, and the expertise of the 122,000 bmw group employees isn’t even worth one rear stoplight of a CLA.

5. seancorr says:

If there’s one complain it’s got to be the tall gear selector which looks out of place otherwise it looks like a really good model. C’mon BMW pls release a worldwide 1 Series sedan!

6. TheBingoBalls says:

That rear looks very uncharacteristic for a BMW.

7. darex says:

Funny. Now BMW is raiding the MINI parts bin. Looks a lot like my F56’s interior. Same engine even.

• Weiman says:

It looks nothing like a Mini interior. Exactly which parts do you mean?
      And Mini have shared engines with the 1-3 series for years so that shouldn’t come as a surprise.

• darex says:

The HUD is identical, the switches, the seats, the too high shift knob, the glove box,etc… Not to mention the platform, the electrical systems, coding, etc…

• Mark O'Neal says:

What else did you expect from pathetic bmw?

• Horatiu B. says:

Ok. It’s enough. I’ll block you if you don’t stop. We got the point over and over again.

• Mark O'Neal says:

You’d better inform bmw about my opinion instead of blocking me. Once I was a die-hard fan of bmw, but after their constant humiliation by Mercedes-Benz I can’t stand them any more. And there are many people like me for your information. Mercedes-Benz is making steady development, while bmw is making steady regress. Hence the global sales figures. It’s time to wake up!

• Horatiu B. says:

Yes, got that. But every single one of your comments is trolling. Nothing constructive or intelligent.

• Babken Hakobyan says:

OK, Horatiu. Now I’ll post under my real name. I just want to see bmw at the top of the game as it was since 2005, but not being kicked to the 2nd place by Mercedes-Benz easily and in just one year. That’s just shocking and unacceptable. For instance, it’s absolutely unacceptable to see that bmw is trying hard to make the 7 Series better than the S-Class which has been in the market for several years, but instead every time we see that the 7 Series doesn’t even come close. And I can’t understand what BMW is thinking about. It’s the pinnacle of their portfolio, but they still fail to reach the level of Mercedes-Benz. Moreover, BMW cars aren’t the sportiest in their segment any more as they used to be. So what do we have now? BMW produces cars which aren’t the best at anything, and therefore there’s no point in buying a BMW (actually that’s what is happening now). And now I ask the BMW community: is this what you want?

• Fritz says:

I don’t understand the hang up with sales figures, and whether or not BMW is in first place. Honestly, as long as they aren’t on the verge of bankruptcy, who cares?

Maybe this is just Mercedes’ time to shine for a while? They definitely did a lot of good work to attract a younger clientele. It’s not the end of the world.

• Babken Hakobyan says:

I also wish this blog success, since I’m your steady reader. But honestly, now I’m also thinking about switching to Mercedes-Benz, because I feel that it is more prestigious, reliable and a more complete package overall. Maybe that’s just my opinion, but something has changed in me. And I feel pity because I was a die-hard fan of BMW since 1997, but it is what it is now. The interesting thing is that i know many people who changed from BMW to Mercedes-Benz, but I haven’t so far sen the opposite. That certainly speaks for something. Anyway, I wish you good luck. I will continue to follow your blog, since I like it regardless of what brand I prefer now. And I will follow it since once i used to like BMW.

• Matt Stokes says:

You wish the blog success yet you actively spend time making it a less pleasurable experience…. good job on that one Einstein.

8. Matt Stokes says:

Looks good. Bring it to the UK BMW.

• Mark O'Neal says:

I hope British people are smart enough not to buy this garbage. currently the trend is that more and more buyers switch towards Audi let alone Mercedes-Benz. I’m sure bmw will soon run bankrupt, since they deserve nothing else because of their lowest quality rubbish car, which aren’t the best at anything.