WORLD PREMIERE: BMW 140i Hatchback with more power

1-series | May 16th, 2016 by 6
BMW M140i 1 750x500

Starting this summer, BMW will replace the top-model of the 1 Series range – the M135i – with an upgraded version. To be sold under the M140i badge, the new model features an upgraded version of the B58 3.0 liter TwinScroll Turbocharged engine. The new unit has an aluminum crankcase and cylinder head developing 250 kW/340 hp, a 10 kW/14 hp increase in maximum output over its predecessor. The new unit lays on peak torque of 500 Newton meters (369 lb-ft) between 1,500 and 4,500 rpm and generates maximum output at 5,500 rpm.

Therefore 1 Series models are 0.3 seconds faster than their predecessors on average. The BMW M140i 3-door and BMW M140i 5-door complete the dash from 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) in 4.8 seconds with the standard six-speed manual gearbox or 4.6 seconds with the optional eight-speed Steptronic Sport transmission. Get them with all-wheel drive and that time drops to 4.4 seconds, which is actually faster than the manual BMW M2 and only 0.1 seconds slower than the DCT version.

BMW M140i 1 750x563

Along with these improved performance figures, thanks to the new B58 engines, the M140i now also claim to have better mpg ratings. In the European test cycle, they are claimed to be 7 percent more efficient. The M140i model is supposed to return between 33.1 and 30.1 mpg (7.1 l/100 km – 7.8 l/100 km) depending on the model and transmission.

Standard specification includes M Sport suspension lowered by 10 millimeters, 18-inch M light-alloy wheels in exclusive double-spoke design, an M Sport braking system, Variable Sports Steering with Servotronic function, a model-specific M aerodynamic package and exterior mirror caps in Ferric Grey metallic. Playing their part in the sporting interior ambience are the cloth/Alcantara sports seats with blue contrast stitching, the M leather steering wheel and an M driver’s footrest.

6 responses to “WORLD PREMIERE: BMW 140i Hatchback with more power”

1. Crux says:

Start a petition to get BMW to bring the 1 series hatch here in the US. My wife wants a CT200h but I don’t like it =*(*. Fans/Enthusiast, Current owners need to make noise. #BringThe1SeriesHatchUSA

• yankee2 says:

That would be EXCELLENT. The one problem I have with a fast car is that there is no place in the US, and certainly not near where I live, where I can stretch it out. In normal driving, on roads with cops, I can’t use half its potential, and I’m talking 128i, not 135i, is or M. What would I do with a turbocharged car?

I may not be an “enthusiast,” per se, in that I don’t care that much about speed, but what I do like is quality, and that’s a key point about BMWs, and one of the criteria BMW demands when building its cars, something which they know well-heeled owners/drivers crave. Besides “sporting” (HIGHLY sporting), a key word in every description of BMWs is “quality,” and I like that!

Which is why, though I MIGHT change up to a turbocharged model, because I like fun almost as much as anyone, I also like, in addition to quality, ECONOMY, and I think one of the smaller-engined, cheaper European models might suit me just fine.

What I really like about driving is driving smoothly while shifting a manual transmission, preferably a nice one (I had a Miata for 11 years, and although I love my Getrag, there are none better) and front-engine/RWD. I like driving my 4Runner TRUCK (which is a VERY good drive, for a truck, in MHO).

A BMW 1-series hatch would be a perfect counterpoint to my truck, like having a much more refined, much better handling Toyota Corolla, with even better quality and not too much more costly, either.

2. yankee2 says:

What I’m looking for is some of the less expensive small Bimmers sold in Europe, but not in the US. Of course the whole reason I own a BMW is, apart from them being great cars, is for RWD and a stick shift. One other thing would be for the small versions at least to be as reliable as a Japanese car, and not quite so much more expensive to repair, i.e. Bimmers for the common man…

• AlphA says:

Should’ve gone with the 135i a lot more fun to drive..

• yankee2 says:

I agree. See, I never had a fast car before, and the 128i seemed PLENTY fast – when I first got it… I may trade up, though if I do, I may opt for a 335i… The E82 model seems a bit small.

• AlphA says:

The m235i is deff a good looking car but it doesn’t compare to the 335i or 135i n54 engines. these engines are the best to do mods on and you can easily get 500+ hp out of em. Let me know what you end up getting.