What do you want the see from the BMW X7?

BMW X7 | March 19th, 2016 by 12
bmw x7 rendering2 750x500

BMW just gave us a tease of the upcoming X7 SUV, which will be BMW’s flagship SUV once it makes its debut. The X7 will slot above the X5 and X6, competing with the Mercedes-Benz GLS Class and Range Rover. It’s a wise decision for BMW to get into that segment and it’s actually a surprise that it took this long.

The full-sized luxury SUV segment simply dominates the luxury market, at least in America. Range Rovers, big Benzes and Cadillac Escalades are some of the most popular luxury vehicles in America, so it only makes sense that BMW would want in on some of the action. It was only a matter of time and we’re wondering what took BMW so long.

BMW X7 teaser 750x385

BMW X7 Teaser

But with a new X7 coming to BMW’s lineup, being that it’s an entirely new model in a segment that BMW has yet to compete in, what do you want to see from the BMW X7?

It’s likely that the BMW X7 has the Range Rover squarely in its sights, so look for extreme levels of luxury, equivalent to the BMW 7 Series. The X7 could have all of the same luxury and technology as the 7 Series and maybe even more. The X7 has the opportunity to be even more luxurious, thanks to its added size and interior room. There’s even a possibility of an extra luxurious model, akin to the BMW M760Li V12 Excellence, to compete with the Range Rover Autobiography.

But hopefully, the BMW X7 won’t just be a bigger fancier BMW X5 and is something completely different, maybe even with some genuine off-road tech. One of the Range Rover’s biggest upsides is that it can off-road with some of the best SUVs in the world, despite being incredibly luxurious on the inside. So it’s a great blend of both worlds. It would be nice if BMW could give the X7 some better off-road capability, possibly a locking differential, so it can be that fantastic all-rounder. That’s doubtful, though.

bmw x7 rendering2 750x500

BMW X7 Rendering

In terms of powertrains, the 3.0 twin-turbo I6 from the 740i is likely to be the standard engine with the 4.4 liter twin-turbo V8 from the 750i being the top-end engine, much like the 7 Series. A plug-in hybrid variant is probable and maybe even a variant with the 6.6 liter twin-turbo V12 from the M760Li is possible. But don’t expect to see a 2.0 liter diesel in the X7, it’s going to marketed far too high for something like that.

We’re very excited to see what the BMW X7 will become and have very high expectations for it. The current crop of BMW SUVs are very impressive and we don’t expect anything different from the X7. Hopefully, it has some more off-road capability than the other SUVs its related to, so it can compete at least loosely with the Range Rover, and hopefully there are some big engine options, like the V12. We’d also like to see even higher levels of luxury than the 7 Series has, with some more impressive tech. Those are the things we’re looking for in the X7, what do you want to see from it?

12 responses to “What do you want the see from the BMW X7?”

1. Icebreakerr says:

want it to be super luxury. big face that has a massive presence that says move out of the way poor person.

2. Marcos Medeiros says:

High Luxury, big wheels, presence and a vertical kidney grille.

3. MisterDemetrius says:

On March 16th 2016, BMWBlog posted and article named, “BMW’s Third i Division Car, iNext to Launch in 2020’s”. In that article there are two pictures if a somewhat large SUV, (presumably an i SUV). This is what the X7 should look like or at least resemble. Start there BMW….

4. seancorr says:

I hope it isn’t a bigger X5. Has to look different and feel $$$

• TheBingoBalls says:

Agreed. Although the interior lacks and extremely dated, the Mercedes GL does a great job at this, at least from the exterior. If BMW makes an extended X5, I will be extremely disappointed. Not only are they extremely late to this segment, to come out with bigger X5 would be a massive error considering the amount the X7 will cost.

5. FilipMPower says:

Even though it doesn’t fit BMW X design trends, I hope the new X7 is designed with more curves, less sharp edges and less fuss, I hope it doesn’t turn out as the overstyled mess that, in my opinion, the X5 is.

6. miketcho says:

In the engine range, I would like to see a powerful V8 diesel to compete with Mercedes GLS’ and Range Rover’s counterparts. And yes, I will very disappointed to see an extended version of X5 as it has already been pointed out. The X7 should be sleek, sporty and luxurious in the same time and should have a breath-taking design… Please, BMW, do not disappoint!!!

7. A. B. says:

I’m a mom with a toddler and a baby and honestly I’m not concerned with “presence.” I want features! Heads up display and super easy access to the third row with no head rest drama that comes with the the Mercedes GL. Don’t want to have to raise and lower headrest every time I access third row. Also want both back rows to be car seat friendly and safe. I want adults to be able to sit in third row comfortably. I want all the cameras and sensors that help you park as well as the best autopilot modes. Giant sunroof please! And USB ports everywhere. Voice control that learns my speech patterns. Glove box that can keep milk cold (like in the Volvo XC90). I am praying the bmw x7 answers all my issues with the Mercedes GL.

• James says:

8. MM says:

I agree with A.B. Please put on your Mommy hat when you design this car. 2nd row captain’s seats with removal center console for easy access to an EXTRA large third row that adults can fit COMFORTABLY in! If you have car seats in the second row you can’t easily pull seats forward to let people in the back so you must have a walk through! Heated seats everywhere – a decent trunk to fit groceries and sports equipment. A drop down DVD player that can be put away in the ceiling (NOT THE BACKS OF SEATS!!) so your children don’t get their greasy fingers all over the screens and also so that they don’t beg for movies all the time. Out of sight – out of mind! Cup holders – lots of them. Places to charge devices for everyone in the car. Please PLEASE make this a LARGE SUV not a 5X with extra seats jammed in. And please make this an SUV that can handle the beach – not get stuck all the time like the 5X. I’m holding out on a new car for this one. With fingers crossed – Thank you!

9. MM says:

The rendering up top is not big enough. Go BIGGER BMW!

10. James says:

Look I appreciate all the MOM’s. I am a Father of 3 (2 17 year olds, and 1 – 2 year old) Yep, I am what is now called a Multi-generational Father, so don’t shoot me for these next comments. We men who still have our MAN CARD do not want to drive anything that resembles a VAN. BMW is supposed to be the ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE. And I love my X6 even if some think it is ugly.. I love it for that, and I love that it PERFORMS. I love that I feel the road, and it does not make every decision for me. ON the other hand I have a large GMC DENALI that has all this self driving stuff and every damn bell and whistle to tell me all the stuff I am supposed to avoid. I DONT NEED that CRAP. I want a seriously NICE SUV not a CUV that drives like a BMW should. The back end looks terrible. Looks exactly like the Q7 which is UGLY. Make it bolder, taller, and higher.. I don’t care about Fuel Economy. I can afford the Gas, or I wouldn’t be buying a BMW in the first place. Put in the cup Holders (4), put in several USB – great, put in real seats that we don’t have to fight to put in a car seat, Make them fold flat. Yes we need to haul stuff, not just groceries, so make it so we can. Put the big mirrors on it.,,, not the small ones. Make it TOW up to 4000#, Don’t like the Escalade like lines on the side panels, DO YOUR BMW stuff, style it your way, don’t copy the trends, BE BMW!!!!! Give me a gas pedal that fits my big ass shoe, not a high heel or flip flop. Let me feel this SUV (not CUV)… Make it REAL BMW. I don’t need all the sensors, I can park my vehicle. Please do not be like every other trend. Start a new one!! Bring the SUV BACK!!!! It’s not supposed to be a car.