Consumer Reports: “Tesla reliability doesn’t match its performance”

News | October 20th, 2015 by 24
tesla model s drive 750x500

The best car ever tested by Consumer Reports — Tesla Model S – has received a worse-than-average overall problem rate in the Annual Auto Reliability …

The best car ever tested by Consumer ReportsTesla Model S – has received a worse-than-average overall problem rate in the Annual Auto Reliability Survey. According to Consumer Reports, over 1,400 survey responses were received from Model S owner who chronicled an array of detailed and complicated maladies.

Last year, the Model S was rated as “average” in the reliability survey.

Consumer Reports says the main problem areas involved the drivetrain, power equipment, charging equipment, giant iPad-like center console, and body and sunroof squeaks, rattles, and leaks. Specific areas that scored worse on the 2015 model, compared with the 2014 model in last year’s survey, were the climate control, steering, and suspension systems.

01 2012 tesla model s fd 1347336745 750x498

“It’s a great car. We stand by those words; it’s a great car when everything is working 100 percent,” said Jake Fisher, Consumer Reports director of automotive testing.

With its four-year/50,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty – and eight-year/unlimited mileage battery and drivetrain warranty – these problems are usually fixed at no-cost to owners.

The magazine’s news sent Tesla’s shares plunging 15 percent, along with concerns about the pricing and production of the new Tesla Model X luxury SUV.

24 responses to “Consumer Reports: “Tesla reliability doesn’t match its performance””

1. Matt Stokes says:

Ha ha ha, ‘Like’. Nicely done Horatiu.

2. Frank says:

No way ! Tesla – car built by gods – cannot be worse-than-average !

3. CDspeed says:

When I had my M3 E92 convertible I had a woman stop me to ask if I was having a problem with the roof leaking, because she was. And in my 5GT, I had an audio problem where the stereo, and any other sound like parking sensors stopped working. It then took 6 trips to my BMW dealer to finally get it fixed. My mother’s X3 had problem this year with its AC that my local BMW dealer made worse because the part they put in was faulty, after 7 trips they finally figured it out. So…………..

4. CDspeed says:

One more thing, in my i3, and an X3 loaner I got once, the NAV screen occasionally says “NO SIGNAL”. The X3 loaner’s NAV screen never recovered, but my i3 thankfully will reboot pretty quick.

• Drag times says:

Another Tesla troll aren’t we. Your kind is so predictable and pathetic. I’ve seen you before.

• CDspeed says:

And your not a troll? I’m simply giving an example to say that no brand is perfect. Where in my comments did I even use the word “Tesla”?? See the i3 I use as my user photo, it is my i3, the 9th BMW I’ve owned to date.

• Drag Times says:

You have 3319 comments on Disquss alone. You are the true definition on an internet troll. You don’t own a BMW and hated it. You are a EV/Tesla troll. I suggest you come clean.

• CDspeed says:

Here is an article I wrote and photographed for BMW blog, featuring my 8th BMW.

I’m a car fan who tries not to be such a fanboy that I’m biased against other brands, I’ve loved my BMWs, everyone has a repair issue once and a while. I didn’t blame BMW, my BMW dealer could use a tune up, but BMW as a brand has been one of my favorites. I like German cars primarily, and I like Tesla too, doesn’t make me a troll. 3,319 comments is not a lot, I got attacked by a troll once that had nearly 30,000 comments to his or her credit, and I think you’ll find that my comments are spread out over time, it’s not like I’ve been on for a month. And when one of my favorite sites merged their comment system with Disqus a few years worth of comments were set into my Disqus account when I signed up. You need to chill out that’s the problem.

• CDspeed says:

PS, I have 2,380, you looked at my up votes.

• Drag Times says:

Lol! You try so hard to justify your 3,000 comments. Still even if it spread out, I still don’t know anybody who has that many comments. Not even a thousand. Do you realize that all you do is comment and argue with people. Admit it. You’re an EV troll.get a life. Play or watch sports. Btw I owned 10 BMW’s 4 5 series 2 M5’s 3 3 series an X5 and Weill be buying the new 7 series. So you can shut up bragging about being a BMW owner. I am done talking to you. Get a life.

• CDspeed says:

2008, I found the year I started my first account, it’s seven years worth. Congratulations your one BMW ahead of me, but my total includes a 1959 502. I only opened the account to pursue my interest in cars, the reason I don’t show bias is for this exact reason, we could have had a nice conversation, but because your so stuck on BMWs you blew up on me. I only highlighted a few of my own service experiences as a example, it would be impossible to write a disclaimer for each comment so readers don’t take it the wrong way. I hope your not related to the Drag Times videos, I really like them, and now I’m being attacked by a reader that uses the same name, what a shame.

• cubs suck says:

Drag Times are another Tesla minions. They’re being paid by Tesla. Why do you talk too much anyway. Who cares what cars you own.

• CDspeed says:

I only mentioned my BMWs to make it known that I’m an experienced BMW owner. I don’t think in review that the reader who posted comments to me is involved with Drag Times. I realize my mistake in talking to people without real accounts………………

• Matt Stokes says:

As the saying goes, you shouldn’t bother arguing with idiots, they just drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

• CDspeed says:

I agree, once and a while I forget about this kind of person until realize I stepped into a trap.😨

• cubs suck says:

There you go again. Stop arguing. The world will be a better place. Go METS. Watch some playoff baseball.

5. James says:

Lol. Where’s the guy from the last post?

6. jason bourne says:

I wonder what my Tesla fanboy co-worker will have to say about this tomorrow.

The guy’s been down on gas/diesel-engined cars ever since the Tesla came out, touting the Tesla as the best thing since sliced bread.

• Perttu Lehtinen says:

I would be more bothered by the fact that BMW 5-series was just as bad in the same survey. After all these years they STILL cannot make their cars last.

7. I thankfully just got rid of my pre ordered M4 convertible for the same reasons sited as problems for the Telsa. 90k and the thing rattled and squeaked more than my 10 year old Toyota.