Audi RS5 vs BMW M4 vs. BMW E92 M3 – Drag race

BMW M4, Videos | August 26th, 2015 by 11
bmw m4 audi rs5 e92 m3 drag race 750x500

AutoExpress takes the Audi RS5, BMW M4 and E92 M3 to the drag strip for a head-to-head race. The Audi RS5 uses a 4.2-liter V8 …

The Audi RS5 uses a 4.2-liter V8 producing 450 hp and 430 Nm (317 lb-ft) of torque, paired with a 7-speed gearbox and the quattro all-wheel drive system. Official specs show a 0 to 62 mph time of 4.5 seconds. BMW’s first M4 is powered by a 3.0 liter inline-six turbocharged engine developing 425 horsepower and 550 Nm (406 lb-ft) of torque. The 7-speed DCT box takes the M4 from 0 to 62 mph in just 4.1 seconds.

The previous generation E92 M3 comes with the award-winning S65 4.0 liter V8 engine making 420 horsepower and 400 Nm (295 lb-ft) of torque. The M3 needs 4.6 seconds to do the standard sprint.

bmw m4 audi rs5 e92 m3 drag race 750x398

So we have two rear-wheel drive vehicles and an all-wheel drive powerhouse on a wet tarmac, therefore the result is quite predictable.

From start to finish, the Audi RS5 needed 12.95 seconds, the M4 14.03 seconds and the E92 M3 14.95 seconds.

11 responses to “Audi RS5 vs BMW M4 vs. BMW E92 M3 – Drag race”

1. Griffin says:

I’m pretty sure the M4 would have won if the tarmac wasn’t wet…

2. Msz says:

The m3 was ahead of the m4 but in the end the m4 caught up.

• FilipMPower says:

No, it’s because the M4 is more powerful in HP, but the M4 launch was terrible. Way too slow, even though that reporter mentions wheel spin. The M4 launched so slow, it was criminal. The 4.2 RS5 doesn’t have 430 HP, more like 385, no matter what audi claims. The M4 would have won if it was using launch control even on the wet tarmac.

• Kaisuke971 says:

Launch is terrible because of its high torque putted on the rear wheels, and that’s why the M3 was quicker off the line, otherwise it would’ve been behind.
          RS5 has at least 400hp to be that quick with its very high weight.

• FilipMPower says:

The launch of the M4 wasnt terrible becuase of high torque, as there was no wheelspin off the line, the driver was simply very conservative with the throttle because he didnt want wheelspin. Too conservative, so the launch was painfully slow. Take a peak at some dynos, I reckon the best the engine will ever do stock is around 400 hp. I talked to a mechanic and tuner yesterday actually, and he said that it is kinda sad that the R8 V8 owner which wanted an exhaust swap actually thinks the car does 430 hp. The tuner said, the V8 produces way less than that.

3. Icebreakerr says:

M4 would have won if it wasnt wet.

4. Ben says:

Pure RWD days are likely over after this current generation of M cars. BMW already hinting 4wd M5 and hybrid M3/M4 with electric motors running on the from the front wheels.

If I shop for a high performance car in a few years, I will ask myself these questions:
    If a Tesla is faster than the M, why am I getting the M?
    If I spend $70K + on a car, why do I have to wait till it is dry to outrun an AMG / Audi RS equivalent? I expect my car to dominate on everyday roads (who goes to the track?) – on my way to work.

5. jason bourne says:

Idiotic comparison test since it’s obvious which car would perform better in the wet.

6. […] the moment, the Audi RS5 is quite old. While it’s still a high-performing car and has a brilliant engine, it just […]