BMW and Toyota continue working on joint sports car

Rumors | July 1st, 2015 by 12
bmw toyota 120211111 750x500

According to Bloomberg, citing BMW representatives, says that the Munich-based automaker and Toyota are moving ahead with the joint midsize sports car project. The new sports car will use common underpinnings of major components for two models, a BMW and a Toyota car. The program to create the vehicle is “progressing according to plan” with the accord on the platform, said a BMW spokesperson.

Toyota and BMW outlined plans for the sports car in early 2013 and said in November 2014 that they’d reached the concept phase for the vehicle after completing a technical feasibility study. The manufacturers have declined to specify where the model might be built or when production would start. Sources say the car in question for BMW would be a Z4 replacement, and will most likely use a turbocharged four-cylinder engine. However, no details have been given about actual development or specs. Toyota is rumored to work on a Supra successor with an engine developed by BMW; a turbocharged inline-six.

bmw toyota sports car rendering 750x500

It’s just unknown whether BMW or Toyota will head development and if the plant will be in either Europe, the United States or Japan. Both companies will look at the biggest markets to determine the best location for development.

The carmakers’ cooperation also includes research projects on fuel cells with testing of a first set of components remains scheduled for 2020.

12 responses to “BMW and Toyota continue working on joint sports car”

1. Crux says:

Mmmmmmmmm…. I6 Twin Turbo Toyota Super! Get the paperwork ready cause this one will be going in the garage. Perfect daily driver.

• Kaisuke971 says:

You are on a BMW forum and you praise a Toyota Inline 6… I feel it like being on a VW forum and praise a Nissan V6.
      Not that it can’t be right but… It just feels wrong on so many levels.

• Horatiu B. says:

It’s all good, we embrace everyone here. And that Supra is an amazing car, I even like it :)

• Kaisuke971 says:

I love the Supra this car is a beast don’t get me wrong, but, i mean… Come on BMW straight six… Nothing can touch that. RB26DETT, 2JZGTE are beast, but a BMW Inline 6… Hell yeah !

• Reino-five-five-oh says:

It’s a BMW inline 6. Toyota hasn’t made one in a decade.

• Anthony Martin says:

BMW i6 is a bullet proof engine I own one and love it….e39. I love this joint venture my two favorites under one hood doesn’t get any better than that.

• Crux says:

I know but there is no collabo between VW & Nissan, hence you cannot praise a Nissin ‘any’-6. I love the Supers, imho 2JZ series is a Godly motor. Partnership exist so my praise for a new i6 going in a Super fits within this subject matter.

2. Reino-five-five-oh says:

I’ve been following this car, but a part of me wouldn’t mind seeing another product of this collaboration: outfitting the X series with some 4Runner off-roading capabilities.

3. CDspeed says:

Boo, come on BMW you can build great sports cars without the librarian of the automotive world.

4. If they’re putting a Toyota body around a BMW I6, why not put that N57S in a Tundra?

5. […] confirmed that it will be developed together with Toyota. The two companies have been working on three sports cars for years now. BMW and Toyota have been tight-lipped about details but the two companies say their partnership […]

6. […] At the 2015 Geneva Motor Show, Klaus Frohlich, BMW head of R&D told the press that not only a Z4 replacement is in works, but also confirmed that it will be developed together with Toyota. The two companies have been working on three sports cars for years now. […]