2016 BMW 7 Series: Engines

7-series, Engines | June 8th, 2015 by 32
BMW 7er 2015 Pure Excellence 750x500

The new 2016 BMW 7 Series won’t be unveiled for another two days, but official images and technical specs have started to show up on the interwebs. Along with a new design, the G11/G12 7 Series also brings exciting new engines.

BMW’s B57 and B58 diesel and petrol powerplants are the latest and greatest and will shortly be implemented in other BMW series cars as well, starting with the 3 Series Facelift. The new modular engines not only deliver more power, but also higher fuel efficiency, a trend we have seen within BMW fleet over the last few years.

2016 BMW 730d

BMW 7er 2015 Pure Excellence 750x422

Under the hood of the G11 730d, BMW has placed the B57 six-cylinder diesel engine making 265 horsepower. In addition to the marginally improved performance, the engine also has noticeably reduced consumption: the EU cycle of the 2016 730d, depending on the tires, will range from 4.5 to 4.9 liters per 100 kilometers — up to 1.1 liters per 100 km below the level of the 7 hp weaker predecessor.

Even compared to the competition, the EU consumption of 4.5 liters is significantly better: the Audi A8 3.0 TDI quattro has a combined fuel consumption of 5.7 liters per 100 kilometers, while the Mercedes S-Class S 350 d has a fuel consumption of 5.5 to 6.1 liters per 100 km.

2016 BMW 740i

The new BMW 740i G11 scores with reduced consumption: the 326 hp straight six-cylinder B58, which was officially launched recently in the BMW 340i facelift, depending on the tires configuration, has an EU consumption from 6.6 to 7.0 liters per 100 kilometers – the predecessor with 320 hp still needed 7.9 liters with the same requirements.

2016 BMW 750i xDrive

A significantly lower consumption than its predecessor can be found in the all-wheel drive BMW 750i xDrive V8 model. The 450-hp V8 TwinTurbo in the new 750i xDrive G11 has a fuel consumption of 8.1 to 8.3 liters; the predecessor reported 9.3 liters per 100 kilometers.

In the course of 2016, the new 7 Series family is expected to get other engines as well, including a four-cylinder TwinTurbo diesel with 231 horsepower (B47 engine). In addition, we expect BMW to unveil information on a 740e with a plug-in hybrid drivetrain.

32 responses to “2016 BMW 7 Series: Engines”

1. Icebreakerr says:

the v8 and v12 will also be used in future rolls royce models

2. Crestd says:

This so called new 7 series is so ugly that it really does not matter what engine it has. No one, unless you are idiot, will buy a car so ugly at such high costs simply because the engine is marginally better than the competition. I really cannot understand why BMW has made such a silly design cockup.

• Billy The Hillbilly says:

The engine is marginally better? You mean, like… more hp from the same/less engine capacity and with AT LEAST 10% less fuel consumption with all that? Which is features common for almost all engines across their range when compared to others? Nobody’s forcing you to love the bavarians (altough it is a bit weird to be on such site then), but could you, at least, not talk complete and utter rubbish?

• Crestd says:

I actually made my comments as a honest BMW fan. You may also wish to note that I have actually seen this car and it certainly is both rubbish and ugly.

• Billy The Hillbilly says:

Could be, I’m not challenging your taste in design (I was expecting more as well in fact), my reaction was against the words “engine is marginally better”. Yep, a good engine on its own might be hardly a reason to buy a car if you don’t really like some of the rest as well, but… c’mon, better in every measurable way is not “marginally” :)

• Crestd says:

I have now looked further into this and accept your point. These new engines are great evolution. But, any one buying a luxury car wants good looks and not a silly facelift after 7 years.

• Billy The Hillbilly says:

Well… the Porsche Panamera sales makes me think otherwise :). Yep, I agree, it will be hard to chase, say, an S-class w/ such look, I especially hate the back of it. Have you seen any with the M-paket? A bit of an improvement, maybe?

• Crestd says:

Here in Germany and I think rest of Europe the Panamera has failed dismally because of its looks, even though I have to say, it does not look that bad or at least not as bad as the new 7. I have not seen the M version but can only imagine it to have different bumpers and less chrome so I do not expect any major improvement. BMW’s biggest mistake appears to be the rear as you suggest and also the sides of the car with plain panels and idiotic stick on chrome hockey sticks.

• Billy The Hillbilly says:

Very well… seen the official introduction – the chrome stick are just “lol”, but it appears to be the same type of problem as with the e60 – m’eh with standard bumpers and wheels, one of the best looking saloons ever with the M-paket. I have to say that the M pack does the trick for me here, somehow it complements the whole car rather well.

• Icebreakerr says:

i dont think you can afford this car crestd.

• Crestd says:

Get a life Icebreakerr. We all know you work at the local car wash and spend all your life relying on your …..

• Ask says:

you nickname says it all, get some education

• Tony says:

Just because you can’t afford one, doesn’t mean it’s ugly..

And everyone that has seen the car says it’s gorgeous. So not sure how you can base your claim when you haven’t even seen it.

• Crestd says:

Considering that my current car is a 2015 M6 Gran Coupe I would like to think I can actually buy a 7 series if it was worth the price tag.

• Ask says:

Most ignorant commment on BMWBlog in a long time.

So when those YouTube reviewers say the car is ugly (especially the high end ones), do you tell them “Just because you can’t afford one, doesn’t mean it’s ugly”?
        Go to sleep kid.
        FYI, I own a 2015 SO M3, X5 and E46 ZHP.

Waiting for immature your reply..

• Icebreakerr says:

looks great to me.

3. Kaisuke971 says:

Let’s cross fingers, and maybe on Wednesday the car won’t look like the leaked photo at all but rather like the Vision Luxury concept (= good).

4. Ask says:

Just cannot justify those chrome hockey sticks on the sides..

5. Tom says:

In reality it looks and feels so amazing, pictures are by far not able not show it!

6. Immanuel John says:

If this is how it really looks, well then the S-Class has no real competition from BMW. BMW has been making fugly cars for many years now, but the 7 always was the prettiest one. How can they spend all that money and design something fuglier. When I saw the last concept they launched, I really thought wow, may be they are learning how to draw beautiful lines again but this one is just sad. BMW is officially off my list when going car shopping (not that it ever really was). The folks at Audi/Mercedes are laughing all the way to the bank. I’ll wait for more high res pics and personal check the car before passing further judgment but based on what I see here, BMW is dead as a brand.

• Horatiu B. says:

You’ll see the car in 2 hrs. It actually looks good.

• Billy The Hillbilly says:

2 hrs? You have like 10 minutes to post an article :). Ain’t it on the web to be seen online?

• Immanuel John says:

Nah, still looks kinda ugly, boring, the S class and A8 look way better, no doubt it would be a nice car to drive and be in, but the interior too is boring. It can’t match the classy look and feel of the S class

• Billy The Hillbilly says:

LOL sure the A8 looks way better, they had a new car out in… what was it? 2002? Yeah, well done, Audi, really, good job. Shame on ya, BMW, for putting out something new with each generation, Audi is the example to be followed.

• Immanuel John says:

The old gen Audi A8 (pre-2010) didn’t look good, the 2011-2015 version looks pretty good, the recent refresh looks clean and the lines are pretty mean & muscular. Sure, the design is risk free but it is a good looking design. while the refreshed 7 only showcases the worsening design language at BMW, pretty much their entire lineup looks like the cars were designed in a sweat shop in China.

7. Sam says: