BMW M4 Gran Coupe – Should BMW make one?

BMW M4, Rumors | April 15th, 2015 by 14
bmw m4 gran coupe 750x500

If a BMW M4 Gran Coupe were to be made, it would probably lost out on some performance, compared with its two-door sibling

We’ve spoken much about the BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe lately, and I’ve been a large proponent of the 6er GC, claiming it to be the most beautiful car in BMW’s stable. I stand by that proclamation, as I’m sure many here will as well. The Gran Coupe is a breathtaking machine. And the M6 version is quite possibly the most desirable BMW of all. But everyone, including myself, seems to overlook the 6 Series GC’s younger sibling, the 4 Series Gran Coupe.

The 4 Series GC is forgotten by many, and it’s hard to see why. The standard 4 Series Coupe, and its M4 variant, seem to be stealing away all the attention. The M4’s polarity is understandable, as it’s an automotive rock star. But the 4 Series Coupes, are still more popular than the 4 GC, which is odd as the Gran Coupe version is the better looking, at least to these eyes.

bmw 4 series gran coupe alpine white m sport 32 750x499

With the same seductive, four-door coupe styling as the 6 Series GC, the 4 Series version is absolutely gorgeous. It has all the right proportions, it’s the right size and it’s a hatchback, so it’s even practical. What more could a person want or need? Combine the stunning looks and practicality with the excellent chassis and driving dynamics of the regular 4 Series, and the 4er GC becomes a real winner.

2015 bmw 4 series gran coupe images 5 750x500

But the really strange part about the 4 Series Gran Coupe is the lack of an M Version. There’s an M4 Coupe and an M6 Gran Coupe, so it only makes sense that an M4 Gran Coupe would follow. One could argue that the M3 is the sedan version of the M4, but the 3 Series isn’t the sedan version of the 4 Series, the 4 Series GC is. And considering the fact that all of the tooling and R&D was already done for the M4, and the 4 Series Coupe and Gran Coupe ride on the same chassis, an M4 GC isn’t a stretch to imagine.

bmw-m4-gran-coupe

I could see if BMW was marketing the Gran Coupes as more of Grand Touring cars, not meant to be hardcore sports cars. But the 6 Series Gran Coupe exists and sells well. So the market for that kind of car is there. Sure, M4 Gran Coupe would be a small niche car, but since when has BMW shied away from creating another niche?

bmw-m4-gran-coupe-render

If an M4 GC were to be made, it would probably lost out on some performance, compared with its two-door sibling. This is mostly because of the added weight gain that the extra doors have. But the looks and practicality would far outweigh any performance loss. Can you imagine the aggressive aerodynamics of the M4 on the Gran Coupe body? Or the magnificent twin-turbo, 3.0 liter, 425 hp inline-six engine under the hood? I’m starting to drool already.

An M4 Gran Coupe probably wouldn’t be a dynamite seller, and could very well get lost in the already vast BMW lineup. But adding M styling and powertrains to that already gorgeous design would make such an incredibly desirable car. I’m speaking purely as a fan at the moment, as I know such a car probably wouldn’t the best financial move. But the world would be a better place with M4 Gran Coupes in it.

So please, BMW, make an M4 Gran Coupe, because we need something else to drool over.

14 responses to “BMW M4 Gran Coupe – Should BMW make one?”

1. Mike N. says:

I think I read something on this very site that the reason there is no M4 GC is because of the lack of structural rigidity due to the hatchback.

• Horatiu B. says:

Same could apply to M6 GC. IMO, it’s all about having demand for it.

• Magnus says:

No, not really.
        The 6er is a 4 door, the 4er is a hatchback.
        If the 4er GC would have been on the china lwb as a sedan (as one of the proposals were) I would really morn the decision to not make a M version.
        However I dont like the fact that the door line does not line up with the hoffmeister kink and that the roof i “resting heavily over the rear wheels” since there is another window behind the door. The main C-pillar i to far back in the design.
        Just my 2 cents.

2. Los Angeles M Cars says:

this would be amazing!!!

3. Brandon M. says:

I feel like the 4 series gran coupe is pretty much just a 3 series sedan with a hatch. It has the same front end style and a near identical interior. What makes the 6 series gran coupe special is that it has different styling than a 5 series sedan.

4. Drac says:

BMW’s line of cars have become to cliche in their design and look. Not much difference between the models other than price points and size. The design group needs emotion injected into their pencils.

5. bandile says:

The 4er GC was a bad idea to start with, what will happen to the sales of the 3er? if they make the 4er GC M4 its gonna be a big farewell to 3er and M3 in general and that will not be a good look for BMW as a brand considering the 3er being their money maker. BMW should’ve just made up their mind and stay happy with the 3er and not the 4er GC. already people buy more of the M4 than the M3 why do they wanna kill the dignity of M?

6. joseph_rma says:

I think the M version of 4 GranCoupe is an unnecessary car. Just don’t feel it’s right to have M4 GC while you have M4 and M3, and also practicality shouldn’t be the considerable factor in this case.
    And there is market demand and it is M3′ area

7. William C. says:

I would love it!!

8. What? says:

The reason people ignore the 4GC is because it looks like a 3 sedan. The reason the 6GC is given so much footage is because it looks erotic, compared to a standard fare 5 sedan. So an M3 could easily satisfy the needs of an M4 GC.

9. Jacek Czmer says:

I would like BMW to build to M3 Touring. I find Alpina B3 Touring somehow boring when it comes to the design. I have always loved the wide wheel arches of M3 and its muscles. And RS4 Avant and C63 would have a though competition…

10. SVPhilly says:

Drove a 430d GC through Germany on vacation recently, was a real blast. Liked the car and proportions, and the diesel engine was terrific. I’d be really interested in an M4 GC!