BMW X5 M or Porsche Cayenne Turbo S – Which one would you buy?

BMW X5 M | February 11th, 2015 by 18
bmw x5 m porsche cayenne turbo s 750x500

Super SUVs, like the BMW X5 M, Porsche Cayenne Turbo and Range Rover Supercharged, are something all Americans seem to love. And why not? They are the automotive epitome of the American Dream. It’s all about more. More space, more power, more luxury and more money. Sure, they are somewhat useless as SUVs and are pretty wasteful, but if you’ve got the money to afford one of these cars, you probably don’t care about useless or wasteful.

The Porsche Cayenne Turbo and Turbo S were the first cars to really enter the Super SUV world. The current model houses a twin-turbo, 4.8 liter V8 engine, making 570 hp and 590 lb-ft of torque. That’s some mighty power to take little Timmy and his buds to soccer practice with. Despite its massive curb weight of 4927 lbs, the Cayenne Turbo S can rocket to 60 mph in 3.8 seconds. That’s faster than the claimed time of a BMW M4, in a car that weighs as much as a small aircraft carrier.

bmw x5 m porsche cayenne turbo s 750x243

No doubt, these are some mighty impressive numbers. And it’s not all just numbers on a spec sheet either, everyone who’s driven the Turbo S has come away impressed with its duality. The fact that it can flat-out embarrass some of the best sports cars currently on sale, but it can actually handle a little bit of soft-roading in supreme comfort. And being a Porsche the steering is sharp and accurate and the body is very well controlled. All sounds great right? That;s until you see the price — a simply eye-watering $157,300 to start!

2014 porsche cayenne turbo s photo 532286 s 1280x782 750x458

That is simply a ludicrous price. For that money, you can have a Porsche 911 GT3 AND a Volkswagen Golf. But what if you want to have a vehicle like that, but you’re just kinda rich and not uber-ridiculously rich?

I’ll direct you to the BMW X5 M.

The new BMW X5 M with BMW M Performance Parts

With a twin-turbo, 4.4 liter V8, the X5 M produces a healthy 567 hp (that’s only three shy of the Turbo S, if you aren’t good at maths) and 553 torques (only 37 less). This will take the X5 M to 60 mph in 4 seconds flat which, while two tenths slower than the Turbo S, still faster than a manual-equipped M4. The X5 M also seats the same amount of people, has just as much luxury and is about equally as capable when the road disappears.

Where the X5 M sticks the dagger in the Turbo S is price. The X5 M starts at $98,700. That’s no small number, mind you, but the difference between the two is equal to that of an average American’s yearly salary. And that’s just to start. The X5 M comes pretty loaded as is, whereas everything on a Porsche is an optional extra. Want a Sports Exhaust? That’ll be $3,210. Want carbon fiber interior grab handles? That’ll be $1,640. Want a steering wheel and tires? That’ll be one hundred million dollars.

The X5 M is clearly the better alternative, price considering. It may not be the sharp, smooth handler that the Turbo S is, but it sure is damn close. And considering how close their performance numbers are, this seems like a no-brainer. I truly do love the Cayenne Turbo S, but I cannot overlook the brilliance-for-dollar advantage that the X5 M has over it. If I had the scratch to buy one of these, the X5 M is what’d I’d buy.

18 responses to “BMW X5 M or Porsche Cayenne Turbo S – Which one would you buy?”

1. JW says:

The Cayenne Turbo S is a better car. But I would still take the X5 M over it any day.

2. Pevvex says:

U confusing me . So u saying u would pick worst car than ?

3. Mike Vella says:

Just looks alone (IMO) I would take the BMW. I think that Porsche cars are some of the best looking ever, but not a fan of the Cayenne.
    FWIW, I’d take a supercharged Range Rover Sport SVR over either.. :)
    Back to the real world, I bought a loaded CPO X3 last weekend – great car for the money.

4. bvhlecia says:

Porsche options pricing is insanity across the board. Start with a high price and then in short order you can add another 30-50%. Here’s one I configured:
    Base price: $157,300
    Price for Equipment: $52,135
    Destination Charge: $995
    Total Price:* $210,430

I just configured an X5M with EVERY option you can buy for $114,750.

5. FEED says:

the toughest competitor of BMW…

6. Viperboss7 says:

Oh brother Nico, the X5 M is in no way comparable to the Prosche in terms of off road performance or towing. The Porsche is really the only vehicle that has been able to get Uber on road performance blended with superior off road ability. It can also tow more than many other vehicles in its class including the X5 M. If its about money, yes the X5 M, if its about the better SUV, the Porsche is head and shoulders above it. Yes! I have taken my 1st gen Cayenne Turbo off road, went places others got stuck. Has manual height adjustment that BMW do not offer. mI like the X5’s but I do more than go to the mall with it. See it at Viperboss77 on Youtube.

7. Roland Renno says:

Turbo S is a better car???
    I claim that is your personal opinion. Matter of fact is that the X5 M is better:
    1- Similar power from a more compact/smaller engine.
    2- More fuel-efficient.
    3- Better looking (my opinion).
    4- Cheaper.
    5- Proud to own a BMW badge inside my garage door.
    ///M

• Achmed says:

The Cayenne Turbo S is 10x more luxurious pal.

• MrBigglesworth says:

Have you seen the interior of the new X5 M? Sorry pal I’ve seen both in person and the X5 M takes it by a mile. The Cayenne Turbo S looks dated and old. X5 M looks modern and sophisticated. It has a larger nav/media screen on the dash, a much better ergonomic and clean button layout and more technology available for it. The X5 M comes standard with an full Alcantara headliner and leather wrapped dash, and for not much extra you can get the center console and lower part of the dash wrapped in leather as well.

8. bvhlecia says:

Again, the real question is would you rather have a Cayenne Turbo S or TWO BMW X5Ms? That’s the dollar for dollar comparison.

9. anyonecanownaBMW says:

plus every one and there dog has a BMW….high inventory, low resale…..

10. […] 3 best, though, are the BMW X5 M, Porsche Cayenne Turbo S and a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT. Those 3 are a best combinations of power, opening and bland […]

11. Bimmm says:

I have a 2015 M4 convertible. But would love to upgrade in couple years for X5M or Porsche Turbo ( if get good price ). I want to still have power but experience a nice car quick SUV in couple years. The Range Rover SVR is pretty cool too.