BMW 5 Series GT won’t die

5 Series GT, 5-series | January 27th, 2015 by 18
2013 bmw 5 gt facelift 22 750x500

Despite many people’s universally, unabashed opinion that the BMW 5 Series GT is a giant, ugly mongrel, it still lives on. The 5 Series GT …

The 5 Series GT has never really had a large fan base. It’s a car that was met with almost unanimous negativity from car journos the world over. Half of the hatred stemmed from the looks and half from the fact that it was on an island all by itself, segment-wise. The 5 GT is an answer to a question that no one asked, nor wanted to ask. It has no real place in the market and has no competitors either. However, despite all of these looming issues that would seem to hold it back, the 5 GT sold enough to warrant an all new model coming in 2016.

2013 bmw 5 gt facelift 11 750x500

The biggest markets for the GT were the Europe and China, with China accounting for 42 percent of the 5 GT’s sales, while Europe had 29 and the US had 10 percent. All in all, the 5 GT sold 21,143 units in 2013, while the official numbers from 2014 aren’t yet available. That’s 5.7 percent of the 370,930 5 Series sold. While not stellar numbers, it must have been profitable enough for BMW to want a new one.

2013-bmw-5-gt-facelift-12

I can understand the market for it in China, as their customers value backseat space over everything else, hence why there are long wheelbase versions of pretty much every car there. But in Europe where space is more of an issue and the streets are narrow and fuel consumption is more highly scrutinized? It’s hard to understand how it could sell so well over there. The real kicker is the US, though. We don’t even like buying wagons here in ‘Merica, everything has to be an SUV or a pickup truck, or else you’re a communist. Maybe it’s because the 5 GT looks like the German Pontiac Aztek.

2013-bmw-5-gt-facelift-01

The thing is, despite my, and many others’, attempts to knock the 5 GT down, it keeps getting back up. Clearly, BMW knows far more than I, and the rest of the enthusiast community, about selling cars because it’s working. And even though I crack jokes, I’m glad the 5 GT is selling so well. It makes BMW money, so they can make the cars that we all love. So, despite how much of a mongrel the 5er GT is, it’s an important mongrel.

18 responses to “BMW 5 Series GT won’t die”

1. Derrick Rose says:

I forgot the exact business reasons behind it (i think it was the fact that BMW is considered a niche brand), but BMW could only be continuously long term profitable by creating new markets/cars/portfolio. i think they are just implementing the 2nd phase of the GT product line with market feedback, and hope they are gaining more momentum with a first-mover advantage like they did with the x5. yea, there’s lots of MBA/CPA jargon here.

• Horatiu B. says:

We’ll see if they can make it look better. The first GT drove amazingly well and some point, there were some crazy lease deals on them. But the looks…even some BMW designers agreed it wasn’t the best. Funny that the designer, Christopher Weil, is the most talented designer at BMW now. But probably the guidelines were strict.

• Horatiu B. says:

2. Michael Christopher Frazier IV says:

I see these awful things all around Los Angeles. Ugly mongrels.

3. CDspeed says:

My 5GT is about to turn 5 years old and I still love it. It doesn’t have to be a beauty pageant contestant to be a great car. I haven’t had it for the past few days though, it’s in for the N63 engine recall.

4. CDspeed says:

5. toughlove2001 says:

I’ve never understood the dislike of this car. It’s gorgeous compared to most of the BMW fleet. The last two decades 3 and 5 series have the most forgettable back ends ever. The x3 and x5 look like soccer mom cars. The GT on the other hand has a bold masculine front end with graceful but powerful curves through the tail. It’s height and length help it stand out in the crowd. The X6 and X4 share the overall aesthetic, but suffer from looking like steroid injection (X6) or narrow waistline and marginal features (X4). The 535 GT is mistaken for a limo more often than not. It screams luxury, and performs amazingly well. Wagons are not loved, but for a family of five, this is the perfect crossover between luxury sedan, company car, and family road trip without the bulk.

6. TinyRK says:

I do like the GT as well… The space inside is great – isn’t it based on the 7-Series? Unfortunately that’s the closest it gets to a wagon here in the US, but I’ll take it.

7. Jose Y. says:

it´s ugly because of the proportions but we should all agree that it has one of the best front ends

8. Fordybox says:

Okay, so not everyone likes the 5GT. I guess that’s why BMW have a big range of cars! I can only speak for myself here but my current GT is a 535d M sport in ‘footballer white’ and here in Europe I think it looks ‘different’ in a good way. However, on the inside it is (for the money) the classiest car for around. When I came to replace my last GT I looked at the 7 series as the natural successor but choose to stay with the 5GT because it did everything that a 7 does but with more interior space. Like most buyers of this type of car I have a family and I drive pretty high motorway miles so I have the car for comfort and not to go street racing. Handling ‘B’ roads on 2 wheels or driving past shop windows is not really my thing so the view on the inside is just fine. Overall I would say try one because you might just surprise yourself.

9. Phil says:

I have owned and driven BMWs for over 20 years. My wife has a 2014 Mini Cooper S, so we are hooked into BMW products. 4 years ago I bought a brand new 635d, terrific car. We mainly used it to holiday from the UK to France. I could get two bikes in the boot and return 40 MPG. What do you get to replace a 635, probably a 640, however personally I do not like the current 6. So I bought a new 520d GT. I must be mad! But you just have to own one to know it. Ride is terrific, economy 50mpg. I actually prefer sitting in the back to the front. That is a first for me. These cars represent excellent value and really look good from some angles. I think from the front they are just too high and lack presence. From the rear they are fab. Much better looking car than a 5 Tourer. I owned a 530d Tourer 2005 model, so I do know what I am talking about. I honestly believe that the motoring press did not understand this car, they started slanging it off and now can’t lose face and admit they just got it wrong. The 5GT is one of the best long distance touring cars I have ever owned and am really looking forward to my 1,000 mile commute to Nice in July. Just think of all the bottles of wine I will get in the car.

10. Pietro2013 says:

Ok, my wife and I are the proud owners of a 2014 535 GT and a 2015 X5. These are our first Beamers. She has been a Cadillac fan and me a MB fan. After 6 months , I am liking her auto better than mine. The handling and driving experience of the GT is phenominal. The GT has the luxury of a 7 series, but with more cargo capacity. Having owned a SL500, I can honestly say her car handles almost as well with the added capability of not worrying about where the clubs and luggage will go. A Win-Win.

11. Art says:

Dealer is ordering me one July 1. I test drove a 2015, great ride. Wife loves the look as I do. Replacing my 2008 750i, which is a great ride.

12. GaryJR says:

As soon as the MY16 configurator is up I’m all over it.

13. mateistefan says: