BMW X1 – The Best BMW For Your Money

3-Series | January 19th, 2015 by 18
bmw x1 xdrive28i 46 750x500

BMWs are too expensive. You know it, I know it. Sure, their starting prices are not too shabby, but add options that most cars come with as standard, and the price balloons to eye-watering territory. The cars are worth it because they’re great but still…too expensive.

There is, however, a deal that I think is quite overlooked — the BMW X1 xDrive28i. So for around $34,000 in the U.S., you can get an all-wheel drive BMW SUV – let’s face it, it’s a wagon with higher ride height – with a fantastic 2.0 liter turbocharged engine and an 8-speed ZF automatic. It also has good cargo space, safety and, well, is a BMW.

bmw x1 xdrive28i 40 750x562

People just think 3 Series when they think cheap BMW, but the 3 Series isn’t really so cheap anymore. Yes, the 320i is not too bad, but that comes with less standard kit than a KIA Forte. Great car, but not good value.

The facelifted X1 SAV came to the U.S. in Fall of 2012 and according to the company the sales have been nothing short of spectacular.

Under the hood, the X1 xDrive28i features the N20 2.0 liter four-cylinder making 240 hp at 5,000 rpm with max torque of 260 lb-ft located at throttle tip in – a ultra low 1,250 rpm.

bmw x1 xdrive28i 08 655x491

So the often ridiculed X1 seems to be the best BMW bargain out right now. It may be a bit ungainly looking but if it drives well and comes with a lot for the money, the looks seen to fade into the background.

READ ALSO: BMW X1 xDrive28i Test Drive

Good news is BMW is refreshing the X1’s looks and the new face and body look really good and not just in comparison to the Elephant-Man-Looking X1. So soon people will be able to get not only a good bargain, but a car they can be proud to own.

18 responses to “BMW X1 – The Best BMW For Your Money”

1. SF Dede says:

A few questions:
    How many X1 s are sold annually?
    How does that compare with expectations?
    How many X1 buyers would prefer a 1series hatch?
    How many would be hatch buyers would never buy an X1?
    How many X1 buyers were new to the BMW brand?

• Horatiu B. says:

We don’t know the exact number in the US, but we heard it’s mind blowing.
      US buyers don’t know the difference from 1 Hatch. Europeans do. X1 is a smaller SUV, a raised up wagon, versus the 1 Hatch which is a sporty RWD compact car.

Different customers I think.

Good question on how many new to the brand, I would expect a lot. It’s an entry level car that competes outside the premium segment also.

• Horatiu B. says:

We don’t know the exact number in the US, but we heard it’s mind blowing.

Different customers I think.

2. OZ says:

If you want good value, buy used!

3. Mike Vella says:

I need to go and test drive one of these.
    Sometime in the next 12 months we’re probably going to trade in the GTI, but I’d like to replace it with another hatch. Been looking at CPO Q5’s, A4 avants and the BMW X series. Then we’d have 2 BMW’s.. :)
    Not finding to many X1’s outfitted like I want in the CPO market at the moment.

4. bmwlightfoot says:

The other great thing about the X1 is hydraulic power steering. And while it looks like an SUV it handles like a 3 Series. My wife has had an X1 for two years/30,000 miles and we have had zero problems with it. I mean absolutely nothing wrong; the car has been perfect.

5. bmwlightfoot says:

• Anonymous says:

I agree. Current X1 is based on the 3-series e46 chassis. Probably my favorite… last of the hydraulic power steering too.. I think next gen will be electric :/

• bmwlightfoot says:

i think you mean E91 3 Series Touring. And, yes, probably the last BMW with hydraulic power steering. Oh, well.

• Horatiu B. says:

Is it the last one? Trying to figure out if there was something after.

• bmwlightfoot says:

After the E46 came the E90 sedan, E91 touring, etc. The current 3 Series touring is the F31. It is hard to keep up with all of BMW’s project numbers, especially since they changed their system. With the E46 there was the E46/4, E46/2, E46/3, E46/C, etc. With the E9Xs, each body type got their own project number. Now each body type gets their own number and M Cars get a separate number! No wonder they are blasting through the alphabet!

• Horatiu B. says:

I dont think they have a choice. So many new models and variants

6. Lawrence says:

Why can BMW just not make the X1 look better like they have done with the 1 Series. Why do they always have to disappoint with their design??? I it really that hard to get it right? I mean look at the 4 Series, the Z4, the 5 Series i8 these areall great looking cars. Just be consistent with the quality of yoru designs!

7. […] to mind. The 5 GT is far uglier than anything Bangle designed. And though I’m a fan, the X1 isn’t a particularly good looking car either nor was it widely accepted as […]

8. Derrick Rose says:

i saw some good lease deals for the x1, but decided against it since the x1 facelift was coming out by year end, which is when I really need another lease instead of now. i just cant get over the low ground clearance for an SAV, so hopefully the facelift sits higher.