Why I love BMW

Interesting, Others | January 18th, 2015 by 14
Love BMW 750x500

There’s been some talk, lately, that BMW is losing its Ultimate Driving Machine mojo. Some say the Bavarian brand has gotten too soft and lost its edge. My question is, compared to what?

When I first got my driver’s license, I test drove many cars before buying my first, as most people do. I drove all of the typical first car brands; Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Ford, Chevy, yada yada. Basically all bore-mobiles. Those cars were four-wheeled Ambien. However, I didn’t realize just how dull they were when I was driving them, I had just thought that’s what cars drove like. Until I tested my first BMW.

E34 525i skyline 750x329

My parents had an old E34 525i and finally let me drive it. I was hooked. It just felt so much more focused than the others, it felt like it was made to make you a better driver. It talked back to me, it let me know what it was doing, it felt alive.

So on went my quest to find a used BMW. Admittedly, it was hard to find a good one on my meager $5,000 budget. So I started looking for anything similar; Audis and Volkswagens.

While both were good, neither had that secret sauce that BMWs had. Then I found it, a 1996 BMW 328i Sedan in silver with black leather and 142,000 miles for $5,000. I didn’t like that it was automatic, but I had searched long enough with no results so I needed this Bimmer.

BMW 328i 1996 750x373

When I test drove it, I fell in love. It was so much better than not only all the other cars I drove, but to me it was so much better than my parents 525i. It felt so sharp, so focused. The suspension was planted and firm yet compliant — perfect. The steering was tight and accurate. The engine, an M52, 2.8 liter I6 that just soared to redline with a mechanical roar that only BMW straight-sixes have. It’s a feeling I have yet to experience driving any other brand.

And I feel that in the new ones too. If you’re comparing their Ultimate Driving Machine traits to older BMWs, I can understand your argument, but compared to other brands, it’s still the Ultimate Driving Machine.

Over to you: Why do you love BMW?

14 responses to “Why I love BMW”

1. CDspeed says:

I have looked at other brands, but few communicate through the steering wheel, and suspension like a BMW.

• Very few, BMW just has a secret sauce that few can replicate.

• CDspeed says:

I was trying not to be too biased, but I did grow up in BMWs, when I was little my mother had a 733i that I have fond memories of, and my father had the first M6. Later I learned how to drive in a 740i, and my i3 is the 9th BMW I’ve owned to date. The only other brand I’ve ever owned, and did enjoy was Porsche, but after a while I did get sick of the optional extras.

• CDspeed says:

• Lawrence says:

I must say that with the new electric steering, it feels a bit numb. Still better than the likes of Audi, which just feels like VW steering (I suppose they use the same parts).

I think the most engaging and fun to drive car that is not an M or Z car must be the 1 Series E87. That car was just so balanced and connected and direct. The current one feels a bit disconnected compared to the E87. The E87 had a spark that keeps shining, even though glowing into the distance now as we introduce the new facelift of the current model and in the future a FED 1 Series….. that E87 spark…..

2. jason bourne says:

“If you’re comparing their Ultimate Driving Machine traits to older BMWs, I can understand your argument”

That’s exactly the point.

Many of us have been loyal to the brand for years/decades and recent BMW releases are soft, to put it mildly.

• I understand where you’re coming from and agree with you in many ways. But BMW is simply moving on with the times. Modern BMWs aren’t bad, just different. Modern BMWs are to other modern cars as older BMWs were to other older cars.

3. jason bourne says:

That’s exactly the point.

4. Forty2 says:

The reason I ordered a 335i last spring was that fantastic straight six engine. I had zero interest in the four-cylinder models, didn’t even want to drive one, and had to place a factory order to get the exact car I wanted, including the six-speed manual. Dealer was convinced I was crazy here in traffic-choked Atlanta, but I didn’t and still don’t care. The car is simply a joy to drive and I don’t regret this choice at all.

5. Jo Nathan Bala says:

After driving my friends E36 M3 many years ago I picked one up as soon as I found a clean one. Recently, I moved further from work and traffic is awful in LA, so I picked up the i3 for the HOV lane instead of the M235i. There is magic in that peppy electric engine.

I’ve driven many of the new BMW’s. It seems like they’re more concern with comfort and speed than driving the ultimate driving machine.

6. Jo Nathan Bala says:

7. Hayden Opai says:

It started when I was young and enjoyed mafia and james bond films. BMW for some reason just fit the part out of all other brands for being quite “gangsta” thats where it started me in owning BMW cars, models, toys and posters. NOW I respect BMW because they have kept their rep up and continued to produce the best we demand
    lol.