BMW i8 marked up to $247,450

BMW i | January 12th, 2015 by 19
bmw i8 100000k 750x500

Update to the original story: Irvine BMW says the i8 has yet to be sold Ever since its introduction last summer, the BMW i8 quickly …

Update to the original story: Irvine BMW says the i8 has yet to be sold

Ever since its introduction last summer, the BMW i8 quickly rose to the status of the most desired car on the market. BMW dealerships from around the country, and even from around the world, have put a premium price on the i8 hybrid sportscar, with some asking as much as $100,000 over the sticker price.

But we have yet to hear about an i8 that actually sold at that markup. Until today. Irvine BMW, a dealership in Southern California, is selling their Sophisto Grey BMW i8 for a whooping $247,450, exactly $100,000 over the sticker price.

bmw i8 100000k 750x422 SApZ2Bj 750x484

BMW i8 uses a plug-in hybrid system consisting of a turbocharged three-cylinder BMW TwinPower Turbo petrol engine and BMW eDrive technology in the form of an electric drive system.

The 1.5-liter combustion engine develops 170 kW/231 hp and drives the rear wheels of the BMW i8, while the 96 kW/131 hp electric drive sends its power to the front wheels and allows an all-electric range of up to 35 kilometers (22 miles) and a top speed of 120 km/h (75 mph).

BMW i8 has a manufacturer’s suggest retail price of $135,70.

So the question is: would you pay that premium price to own of the few i8 cars in the US?

[Source: VWvortex]

19 responses to “BMW i8 marked up to $247,450”

1. Bri says:

An idiot, that’s who. I don’t know why BMW of America would even allow dealerships to engage in this type of absurdity.

• Horatiu B. says:

I don’t think they can control the pricing.

• OceanArcher says:

Most dealers are doing this. Not necessarily $100k above, but they’re marking it above msrp. The ones that are not marking it up have wait lists until 2018. I’ve called 55+ dealerships looking for the best deal + wait time. The dealerships around me (Phoenix suburbs) are asking $75k above MSRP. I’m assuming they’re selling them because even at that price, there’s a 8-month wait list. Autotrader, eBay, etc., all have these marked up. It’s just supply and demand. I don’t have to buy it if I don’t want to. I can either wait or pay a premium. Free world.

2. Vladimir says:

Bri,
    Couldn’t agree with you more. BMW should intervene (or at least make the dealerships forward them the extra cash).

3. Geebo Harris says:

BMW should cut dealerships doing this kind of markup out of their network.

• JRobUSC says:

Would I spend $100k over on an i8? No, I wouldn’t do that for any car. If I had $250k to spend on an i8 I’d just put my name down for whatever the 100th anniversary thing is BMW is cooking up. With that said, however, it’s supply and demand. Very respectfully, dealers sell 99.99% of their cars under MSRP, and no one has a problem with that, right? Of course not. The “S” stands in MSRP stands for “Suggested”. It’s not “The Price”, nor is it a maximum or a minimum. The market determines the value of commodities. If people are willing to pay over list for a rare thing then so be it, it’s ridiculous to expect any seller (BMW dealer or otherwise) to take less than they can get. If you were selling your house and a bidding war erupted and suddenly people were offering more than you’d listed it for, would you stop the bidding at the listed price? No, that would be idiotic, the goal of the seller is to maximize the sale price. Besides, even if BMW dealers were obligated to sell i8’s at MSRP, you’d just end up with every single vehicle being sold to brokers, who’d then be reselling them for the same prices they’re at on the secondary market now anyway. If that’s what the market value is for the car, then why shouldn’t the dealers be the ones making that money? They’re the ones with the investment in the brand with a brick and mortar location, not the brokers.

4. Kate says:

Those who really want to bypass the wait lists should look at charities auctioning off i8s at events. There were two auctioned off in Portland, OR last year for about $247,000 each and they are offering another this year (the event is in March 2015). If you are going to pay over sticker price (and can afford to), why not do it for a good cause? Check out Classic Wines Auction in Portland.

5. James R says:

I was fortunate to get on the list in Reno (live in the Bay Area) and paid list price…0 mark up. I guess I should credit the dealer for having the integrity to stick w it. Ferrari actually had a huge issue with this back in the 80’s when they were charging a huge markup….ends up some of the cars were duds and Ferrari was on the hook to pay back that premium. The i8 is an awesome car but BMW should shut the price gouging down.

• Horatiu B. says:

Congratulations. Would love to see an owner review from you. Wouldn’t mind publish it

• James R says:

I couldn’t be happier. It is a much more striking car in person. The dimensions are far more balanced than what a photo shows. I have the dark grey with the blue accents and what I am most impressed with are the different personalities the car has. You move it into sport mode and you feel as though you are driving a more hardcore GT/ sports car but then with a push the shifter over to comfort it becomes a tame, quiet crusier. The fit and finish is beautiful and the technology is outstanding. They come standard with HUD…why this isn’t required on all cars I don’t know…I feel weird driving a car without it now. The only downside I have found is getting in and out. I am in my early forties and relatively fit but it would be tough if you are older and my wife said no skirts. I have been fortunate to drive 911’s, and although its not as sharp. I would pick the i8 over one any day. And people really respond to it…..whenever I park there are folks constantly wanting to talk about it. I have only had it for about 5 weeks but it’s the best all around car I have ever owned.

6. Tom says:

I tried to buy one of these a few months ago, BMW Beverly Hills wanted me to pay $100k over sticker for it! Forget that, I sold my M3 and bought a $135k Tesla P85D instead. BMW just lost a long time customer. The Tesla is a LOT faster and I’m much happer with it than I was with my previous BMW!