The folks over at Autobild take the new BMW i8 for a ride and gives us some key performance figures. Before we jump into the results, here are some key technical specs of BMW’s first hybrid sportscar.
BMW i8 uses a plug-in hybrid system consisting of a turbocharged three-cylinder BMW TwinPower Turbo petrol engine and BMW eDrive technology in the form of an electric drive system. The 1.5-liter combustion engine develops 170 kW/231 hp and drives the rear wheels of the BMW i8, while the 96 kW/131 hp electric drive sends its power to the front wheels and allows an all-electric range of up to 35 kilometers (22 miles) and a top speed of 120 km/h (75 mph).
- 0-100 km/h with Launch Control (1st/5th attempt): 4,2 s/5,8 s
- 180-250 km/h (with full battery/low battery): 17,3 s/41,4 s
- Average range: 567 km (32 km in electric mode)
- Fuel consumption (min.): 4,5 l/100 km
- Fuel consumption (max. at 250 km/h): 29,9 l/100 km
- Fuel consumption (average with E-engine/without E-engine): 5,6 l/100 km / 7,2 l/100 km