G30 BMW 5 Series will launch in Summer 2016

Rumors | January 25th, 2014 by 16
g30 bmw 5 series 750x457

The sixth-generation G30 BMW 5 Series will come to market in summer of 2016. The second 5 Series Gran Turismo will debut in the spring of the same year, followed by the Touring model in the fall.

All these models are built on an all-new high-tech platform called “35up.” The nomenclature designates all the models from the 3 Series all the way up to 7 Series and it’s both a rear-wheel drive and xDrive platform. The platform mixes high-strength steel, aluminium and carbon fiber to drop around 80 kg from today’s 5 Series.

g30 bmw 5 series 750x415

The next M5 will also go through a weight lost program and is expected to shed nearly 180 kg while the power output will be raised to close to 600 horsepower. Despite recent rumors that an xDrive is not planned for the next M5, sources told CAR Magazine that an all-wheel drive M5 is possible.

For the first time, a three cylinder engine will be deployed in the 5 Series, most specifically, the entry-level 518d. From a 1.5 liter turbocharged engine, the 518d will produce 150 horsepower and an impressive 4.0 liter per 100 km or 60 US MPG.

BMW is grouping 500cc cylinders together to create three-, four- and six-pot engines, with 60% common parts. A 2.0-litre four-cylinder will power the 520d and 231bhp 525d. As a result,  smaller-engined 5 Series share front axles with the next 3 Series, but go for a six- or eight-cylinder 5 Series and you’ll get the front axle from the next 7 Series instead.

At the high-end, BMW will offer the 333 hp 530i, 375 hp 540i and 400 hp for M550d. The diesels will also get a power increase, 286 hp for 530d and 333 hp for 535d. Hybrid versions of the 5 Series will be offered too, including a plug-in version that lowers its charge adapter to a garage floor-mounted plate for inductive charging.

Lots of new tech goes into the G30 5 Series, starting with self lateral parking and automated lane changing with overtaking. It’ll use radar-based cruise control to stay in its lane, detect a car ahead, and signal before pulling out and passing the car in front.

[Source: Car Magazine]

16 responses to “G30 BMW 5 Series will launch in Summer 2016”

1. mckillio says:

Other than the small weight loss, these numbers are all very impressive. Are there long term plans to make the V8 share the same 500cc cylinder design?

• Jay Dub says:

The V8 is of a different engine design, it is not inline like the 3, 4, and 6-cyl engines. I think it will be dropped with the M5 being the only V8 available, to many people’s dismay (mine included). BMW will be following Audi’s steps. Mercedes still has the E500 (US E550) available in EU for 2015, but has been dropped in US.

• mckillio says:

Regardless of design, BMW thinks that 500cc per cylinder is the ideal cylinder size. And it would help cut engine costs because it would share more components with the other engines, pistons, rods, valves, etc.

That’s a good point on BMW completely dropping the V8 from the 5-series though, certainly possible. If not this coming generation then the one after. When did Audi announce that they’re dropping the V8 from the S6?

• Jay Dub says:

So far Audi is not, but Audi’s marketing the S6 as a premium offering compared to the E500 and 550i. Previous A6 generations had an available V8 engine, now just the S6.

2. Crux says:

Am I reading this correct M550d, as in Diesel? No, 550i? Oh heck no!

Our E60 is nearing it’s retirement and if there is no 550i, then I will skip the 6th gen and opt for F10 550i M-Sport.

Pffft…

3. mpdaws says:

6th gen? Try 7th generation 5 series – e12, e28, e34, e39, e60, f10? then g30. Is the current one F10? i’ve lost track now of the latest one – its so boring.

4. BimmerBuilder says:

I hope they have stretched the wheel base a bit. I have a 2014 535 M Sport and the biggest issue I have is the very poor rear seat leg room. My 2013 328i had more leg room in the rear. I wish BMW would offer a 5xx Li in the states, like they do in China. I may have to consider another brand when my lease is up if they did not address this. And I don’t mean a 1/2″ more leg room.

• Horatiu B. says:

I don’t think it will grow in size, it will be pretty much the same. The 5xx Li would cannibalize the 7 Series sales in the US, which are already low, so that won’t happen.

• Horatiu B. says:

• Pictor says:

WB is already long enough in the F10. Get a 7 series which is essentially a stretched 5 chassis anyway. Remember that the F10 shares similar dimensions as the E38 7 Series. Rear leg room might be another issue but if anything keep the WB as is and shorten the overhangs.

I’ll look for another car if the G30 is bigger than the F10. As it is, I already have my eye on other brands after owning 7 different 5 series (at least one of each generation). The F10 has grown too large.

• Pictor says:

5. BimmerBuilder says:

6. Tunmishe Oke says:

Can’t drive a smaller 550ix that is not a v8. Just switch to a 7. It just won’t be fun without the sound.