After its world debut, the BMW i3 is now out in the open and daily real life photos surface on the interwebs.
The BMW i3 features a large number of technological innovations – such as a carbon-fiber passenger cell and a chassis made of aluminum – and sets new standards in the field of lightweight construction. With a curb weight of 1,195 kilograms, it is lighter than most vehicles in the compact segment, yet offers significantly more space for up to four occupants.
The BMW i3 is available in Ionic Silver, Arravani Grey, Laurel Grey, Andesite Silver, Solar Orange and Capparis White.
The Solar Orange i3 spotted below comes with the BMW i3 REX range extender. In order to reduce range anxiety, a rear-mounted 650cc, 34 hp, two-cylinder, gasoline- powered Range Extender generator is available, which roughly doubles the vehicle’s range. When the battery gets to a certain level, the Range Extender starts and maintains the battery’s current state of charge. The Range Extender never directly drives the vehicle’s wheels. The Range Extender adds roughly 330 lbs. to the vehicle curb weight and has a fuel capacity of 2.4 gallons.
- Pricing (before federal or local incentives) starts at $41,350; $45,200 for Range Extender model. Destination & Handling Fee not included.
- On Sale: Q2 of 2014 in the USA.
- BMW’s 360 Electric electro mobility services.
- BMW i Remote app, which connects with the car.
- BMW Navigation is standard.
- BMW Intelligent Emergency Call (‘eCall”), Anti theft alarm and Rear Parking Distance Control are standard.