BMW Super Bild Of The Day: BMW Nazca C2

Interesting | April 19th, 2012 by 12
1991 italdesign bmw nazca c2 and m12 01 750x500 BMW Super Bild Of The Day: BMW Nazca C2

The BMW Nazca C2 or Italdesign Nazca C2 was a 1991 concept car. The car was designed by famed automotive engineering company Italdesign, home of Giorgetto Giugiaro. The car was equipped with the Neuromotion FC6 engine from BMW and produced 380 bhp (283 kW; 385 PS), the very same engine that would power the BMW 850csi.

The car had a top speed of 195 mph (314 km/h) and three cars in total were produced from 1991 to 1993. They consisted of the original M12, the C2 and the C2 Spyder.

Like most concept show cars, very little is known about these cars once they exit the show circuit. What we do know is that Italdesign keeps all 3 versions running and drive them regularly.

1991 italdesign bmw nazca c2 and m12 01 655x490 BMW Super Bild Of The Day: BMW Nazca C2

Remember to send us your recommendations for Super Bild Of The Day to manny@bmwblog.com.

Hat tip to Asad!

12 Responses to “BMW Super Bild Of The Day: BMW Nazca C2”

1. Giom says:

Quite futuristic for the time, still is. I was a big fan of these, specially the C2. I’m surprised to hear that Italdesign still runs them. Must be spectacular to see. Great Super Bild!

2. LaMa says:

actually the Nazca was powered by a regular 5.0l engine making 340-350HP with mild-medium mods. The CSI engine was nowhere near ready for the Nazca.
    This car was light years ahead of its time.  If BMW would have had some sense, they would have hired the designer and buy the body/design with it and never even look at chrisbangle.  Imagine the cars that would have emerged from a guy’s hand who created this sex-on-wheels car ?

• LaMa says:

let me correct myself the Nazca C2 was powered by a 5.7l engine, it was just not the CSI, it was built by Alpina and the CSI engine was really a 5.6l anyway…

there is/was a Nazca for sale about 1 year ago, at a price of 725k Euro ~ roughly a 1.06M USD

Its a huge price tag for the car but the uber-rare status demands it.  absolutely stunning design by Giugiaro, but again, they mostly did spectacular cars.

Bertone, Giugiaro, Pininfarina, etc. are all great design studios and BMW should have enlisted them to design their super-cars. The Z8 was a great one, the designer was Henrik Fisker who left BMW when chrisbungle and his direction was put into a focus. Henrik Fisker himself re-designed the bungle designed 6 series and with just a few touch, created a much better car. chrisbungle could not design anything that was timeless or attractive.
      Had BMW go with Henrik Fisker and his style, BMW would have cars that not only great to drive but pretty to look at.

3. Sajan says:

this is just gorgeous! It has a very futuristic shape with a classic BMW front.. somehow it works really well

4. Asad says:

I remember being in absolute awe at the age of 12 (and still am) when I first seen this car. And even in this day and age it wouldn’t look a day out of place. Phenomenally designed.

5. Seiz says:

I’ll put this short.
    C2. Best. Looking. Car(Concept). Ever. Period. No further debating. No need to. Damn i want it. I would kill for it. :)

6. Viper says:

such a shame they never put this in production , this was lambo league , still looks great today , way better than i8 in my opinion (not the same car but..)…..bmw … could have been so much more than an M3…so much more

7. Rolitto says:

This is a supercar that we (BMW fans) need to see in the BMW M stable. Please BMW!

8. hsa says:

I love these looks for cars. I would get one these bimmers if I could afford it when they came out.