Rumors: 2014 BMW M3 with V6 comes back to focus

Featured Posts, Rumors | March 28th, 2012 by 48
2014 bmw m3 750x500

Next year BMW will unveil the latest generation of their most popular M model to the date: the 2014 BMW M3. While many of the design cues are known and expected, the biggest mystery comes from under the hood.

A latest report from InsideLine brings back the idea of a V6 powerplant making its way into the new M3. According to the magazine, a highly advanced 3.0-liter twin-turbo V6 is being developed. In the past, BMWBLOG heard from different sources that both the V6 and an inline-six were being tested, and we went back and forth with what the final choice may be. To add even more fuel to the fire, InsideLine says that rejection of the inline-6 is related to its packaging and that a V6 just simply fits.

2014 bmw m3 655x436

“The new V6 will be the first to mount its two twin-scroll turbochargers within the vee-angle, mirroring the company’s 4.4-liter V8 design. The  This unique-to-BMW approach reduces the length of the inlet tract compared with a regular turbo-vee setup, helping to sharpen throttle response and minimizing heat buildup after air passes through the intercooler.”

A 60-degree V6 will also offer the best balance, but a 90-degree angle is needed to fit the two turbos.

Outputs of the new engine are believed to be around 429 horsepower and 405 pound-feet of torque.

[Source: InsideLine ]

48 responses to “Rumors: 2014 BMW M3 with V6 comes back to focus”

1. Johnparke says:

Yeah, I don’t believe that.

Pretty sure they would give it at least 450 hp. And I really don’t think that they would use a V-6.

2. kolbasz says:

V6? What the heck is that? That thing is ok in a VW and shit like that but for chrissake no V6 in a BMW.  Let’s hope they won’t disrespect the tradition.

• Johnparke says:

BMW insiders on another BMW forum have said I6, so I believe them over what insideline figures it will be.

• Horatiu B. says:

Insider being Scott27? If that’s the case, I wouldn’t fully go 100% on that.

Trust me on that.

• Johnparke says:

Yeah, it was him. I still find it more believable that this is insideline trying to get more views. I just don’t think BMW will do a V6. But I could be wrong.

• Johnparke says:

You’ve see the F30 335i’s engine bay right? Do you think there is enough room to put a twin turbo w/ eturbo I6 in there?

• Horatiu B. says:

Again, take everything he says with a grain of salt. I know more about the whole Scott thing.

• Johnparke says:

I trust you on the Scott thing. I don’t think you would say anything about him unless you knew what your were talking about.

But anyway. Personally do you think it is possible to fit the TT I6 in the F30’s engine bay?

• Horatiu B. says:

When it comes to BMW, all is possible. I learned that this week spending time with BMW M boss.

No, I didnt ask about the engine :)

• Anonymous says:

The 335is has two turbos and they’re coming out with tr-turbo Diesels, so why not?  Wouldn’t it cost less to make the engine bay bigger than design a new engine?

• Johnparke says:

Well they wouldn’t really be designing a new engine. The rumor is that they would be chopping off two cylinders from the M5’s engine. I believe they did the same with the V10 to make the current V8.

• Anonymous says:

If they were to make a V6 I’m sure that’s what they’d do.  It’s not quite that cut and dry though, balance shafts, different crank design etc.

• wazon8 says:

Sorry, but this rumor is produced by someone who has no idea what V6 engine is. You cannot get V6 by cutting out two cylinders from V8, since the first needs to have the wholly new block due to having much more complicated crankshaft than is used in V8. I don’t get how this obviously false rumor can spread so widely between car enthusiasts.

3. Anonymous says:

I doubt BMW would use a V6 because “it fits better”, maybe if they wanted a bigger 6 cylinder.  But why go to a rougher running, more complicated, expensive design?

4. Anonymous says:

The turbocharge V6 is disappointing and the increase of only +/- 15hp is also disappointing although torque output is nice.

I was expecting around 500hp or 480. :(

5. Phil30 says:

I refuse to have a V6 in my M3
    Gimme a 3.8L inline 6 please.

• Rolitto says:

Don’t judge it before seeing or even trying it, even though I still think it wouldn’t be a V6.

• Anonymous says:

Although I’d love for it to be an i6 there are a couple things you should keep in mind. The Nissan GT-R is a V6, The 350/370z is a v6, The Acura NSX was a v6.

I understand that inline engines mean a lot to BMW but I don’t see anyone else complaining about the the engine layouts of the above cars.

As a matter of fact if BMW does make the new M3 with a V6 that should shave a good amount of weight off of the current M3 and that is always a good thing.

• Anonymous says:

V6’s are lighter?  I figured with two heads, balance shaft etc. that they’d be heavier.  Certainly allow better weight distribution but also more drive train losses and less thermal efficiency.

6. Audayh says:

Can someone do sound analyses on the spy videos to check the firing offset and tell if it’s I6 or V6? I guess it won’t be that hard if you have the right tools.

7. Ted Spahr says:

So this picture is a coupe and not labeled M4…. Well that’s a start I guess…

8. V6? WTF? What about R6?

9. juicifer says:

just look at the new M5 how much better it is then the last one in my opinion… but still the M3 V8 it will be scary too watch how much better the new one can be, and it must be better in some way anyway, if not i would never buy it

10. JohnC says:

what only 429 hp? I mean…they lose the brilliant, award-winning high-revving v8, put in an unstable, rough, low-revving, turbocharged v6 get only 15 extra hp and call it a day?? Eh…the good old m3 is dead when they will go this route..

11. Wazon8 says:

I don’t buy this rumor at all. I see no economical point in creating wholly new V6 instead of using already made parts of inline6 TT.

12. LaMa says:

yeah, the new M4 will be after all a V6 TT , great ! I was hoping for a 4 cylinder turbo… but I guess one more generation before we reach the 4cylinders with turbo and hybrid powertrains.

a 2.5l – with a dual scroll turbo and a hybrid power train should yield some serious power and light weight, excellent fuel economy and enough green to make Al Gore wet his pants.

13. Ricky Calo says:

So basically its the M5 engine with 2 cylinders chopped off, actually it doesn’t sound far fetched at all. If BMW does decide to go with a V6 it will be the finally straw of profits over tradition/fun driving.

14. Tom43 says:

Definetly not true! There was an interview with the BMW CEO in the German magazine AMS. He confirmed the use of an I6 engine…

15. Rolitto says:

I don’t think the new BMW M3 will feature a V6. BMW has been well known to master the inline-6 motors for years and years to come. So I don’t know if the company would like to gamble the V6 entry with one of the most reputable and known sports car, the M3.

16. Anonymous says:

Sweet, then they will also be the first to inherit the same vapor lock issues that all of the twin turbo v8’s have from the fuel lines being too close to the turbo’s.  Great work BMW!!!  Take a hint already, stick with the I6 setup.  If dinan can get 400hp and 420+ tq out of the N54 then there should be no reason you couldn’t up the displacement a bit to say 3.2L and get better numbers than that.  All the V6 is going to do is increase vibration in the car and ruin the smooth linear power delivery that the I6’s are praised for.  Stop doing things the cheap way and start doing things the right way.  IE ///M cars are supposed to be

17. T. says:

Interesting that I have never confirmed the engine choice to the next generation M3/M4.
    I have confirmed that they evaluated a V6 alongside a six but I have never confirmed one over the other. What I have mentioned is that along the lines of speculation some are on the right track but I have not confirmed who is right and who is wrong?

There are advocates for both on either GCF or BimmerPost. But I have not come forth and said it will be this… Some kind of official announcement is forthcoming but the full story will not be known at this time.

18. Viper says:

the current one has 420hp , dont expect too much increase but I doubt in v6 and 3.3l…..
    bmw doesnt change their ccm’s , they do so every 50 years , I think around 430 twin turbo should do the trick.and 3.0l….

• Anonymous says:

I’d expect 450hp or so, it can’t be less than the normal V8.  The biggest bump will be in torque, 295 to at least 350ft/lb if not 400ft/lb.  I’ll also predict it’s going to be based on the N55 and be called the S55.  But it will be either twin or tri-turbo