Spied: BMW Front Wheel Drive vehicle

Spy Photos | July 5th, 2011 by 23
bmwfwd6series05

The future BMW Front Wheel Drive model was spied in Germany during the usual test driving process. Sporting the psychedelic camouflage we became accustomed to, …

The future BMW Front Wheel Drive model was spied in Germany during the usual test driving process. Sporting the psychedelic camouflage we became accustomed to, the 2013 BMW with front-wheel drive architecture sports an unusual design, with a taller upright monobox and the proportions of a smaller “sports van”.

The BMW mini-van is internally known as the Advanced Family Sports Activity Tourer. BMW insiders say the idea is to mix the space and flexibility of an MPV, the solidity of an SAV with the shape of a larger Touring model, but have maintain the car-like appearance. With AFAST, short for Advanced Family Sports Activity Tourer, BMW’s ideas are to reinterpret the concept of a van to be more car-like, but without compromising space, flexibility and driving dynamics.

Apparently the BMW AFAST goes to the design table as demanded by customers who want a more premium offering which still fulfills their requirements around a van, but maintains the BMW values.

Spied: BMW Front Wheel Drive vehicleSharing architecture with the next MINI , BMW FAST, as referenced by other BMW sources, is a front-wheel drive vehicle, but an optional xDrive might be offered as well. The BMW Family Activity Sports Tourer is a working title, and the new model is being aligned with a newly expanded 1-series family. It’s not yet clear whether the FAST will be badged 1-series or not.

The UKL is quite different from the second-generation rear-drive 1 Series. The primary difference between the two is that the front-drive car has its engine mounted transversely under a comparatively short bonnet rather than longitudinally under a typically long bonnet. With drive being sent to the front wheels rather than channeled via a propshaft to the rear wheels, the layout has given BMW’s designers the freedom to dispense with the transmission tunnel running back through the interior. This should increase the amount of available space, especially in the rear.

Also, the new layout has also allowed BMW to rethink the car’s proportions, with the front bulkhead and A-pillars being brought further forward. This will increase the volume of the cabin to a level comparable with Europe’s best-seller, the Volkswagen Golf, and the Audi A3.

The front of the car gets a smaller twin kidney grille, again more three-dimensional as the front of the car allows the grille to be pushed further back.
At the rear of the car, the light units faired inwards with the body covering over the top parts of the units. A glass area wraps around, but leaves a reasonable typical BMW C-Pillar. The shape of the glasshouse is dictated by the shape of the roof allowing a slope line.

According to Car Magazine, BMW insiders suggest there could be 1 million front-drive BMWs and Minis produced annually by the end of the decade.

[Photo: Car Magazine ]

  • http://www.facebook.com/people/Mocanu-Marian/100000636930389 Mocanu Marian

    Are sure this is a BMW, because I’m not buying this crap…

  • http://www.facebook.com/people/La-Ma/1681833435 La Ma

    do we really need this ?  Isn’t BMW making enough profit already ? Whats next ? a Pickup and a smart-sized little egg-car ?  what for ?
    just keep making cars like the 1M and people will line up with their checks.

    Greediness is next to godliness ?

  • Pingback: Spied: BMW Front Wheel Drive vehicle | labmw.com

  • http://www.facebook.com/people/Hubert-Jadczak/100000325894622 Hubert Jadczak

    BMW produces RWD, everything that is FWD is not BMW.

    • plaxico

      Get used to it ASAP

  • http://www.facebook.com/adrian.godoroja Adrian Godoroja

    This is a Mini, not a BMW. A RWD car is not a BMW.

  • wazon8

    It looks so Japanese. 

  • Mr. Guest

    How are they planning to sell this??

  • Carlwkristensen

    Why do BMW have to cater too every single consumer there is? I truly hope this will fail miserably for all our sake, so BMW can switch focus to what they really are good at. Making great premium, high performance, RWD sportcars.

    • T.

      This is actually the Compactive Sports Tourer which is a high-riding Touring mixed with an MPV .
      The FAST – Family Activity Sports Tourer is more BMW’s equivalent to the MINI Countryman and is more a small crossover SAV than a van.

    • Sajan

      Whilst BMW are making this car, Audi have released the r8 gt and are in the process of making an expensive a9, a smaller r4 and they are also thinking about green lighting the production for the Audi quattro concept. I’m starting to wonder which is the cooler manufacturer

      • Manchester Man

        first up the r8 v10 has a lambourghini engine and the gt will have one too, Audis engines dont compare to BMW engines. Yea they got the Audi Quattro concept but we got the VED concepts which looks way “cooler” than your quattro, its even in MI ghost protocol. The smaller r4? We got the M2 and the new M6 coming. The only way Audi can compete with BMW is by using tacky LED lights that screams “look at me!”

        On top of all of this, Audis that are not quattro are all FWD, just like a ford mondeo or a toyota corolla lol. At least jaguar and lexus use RWD platforms… Now you tell me which is the cooler manfacturer!!

  • Bart

    Please don’t call it a BMW!

    • Bart

      The Enthusiasts should boycott this by not calling it a BMW, like the Farrari enthusiasts did with the Dino.

    • HSD

      No, call it the ultimate cunts car, oh it already has a BMW badge.

  • Pingback: Spied: BMW Front Wheel Drive vehicle | BMW Blog

  • LexusLVR

    Man, you people are a joke. PRODUCT DIVERSIFICATION = SURVIVAL and NEW CUSTOMERS. Hell, 80% of BMW 1 series owners thought their car was FWD? What does that tell us? It tells us that the other 20% are either enthusiasts or simply better informed about their car and that the 80% bought their car for whatever reasons NOT GIVING A DAMN which wheels are being driven by the engine.

    • LexusLVRLovesBigDicks

      You are so right LexusLVR, first sensible thing you posted since the one you posted about the GS out running an M5.  What percentage of Lexus drivers are enthusiasts?  That ol lady on the street driving her LS like she was on the Nurburing must be one of them. I know you’re an enthusiast of smoking that yellow crack.

  • LexusLVR

    Man, you people are a joke. PRODUCT DIVERSIFICATION = SURVIVAL and NEW CUSTOMERS. Hell, 80% of BMW 1 series owners thought their car was FWD? What does that tell us? It tells us that the other 20% are either enthusiasts or simply better informed about their car and that the 80% bought their car for whatever reasons NOT GIVING A DAMN which wheels are being driven by the engine.

  • HSD

    Love the paint work, BMW should offer this as a standard finish. At least that way all other road users will spot the shallow twats in plenty of time and take precautions.

  • Pingback: Shopping for Jacked Up Trucks On the Web | Business Unleashed

  • Pingback: Rumor: BMW Van-like Concept to be unveiled at Paris Motor Show

  • Pingback: Rumor: BMW Van-like Concept to be unveiled at Paris Motor Show | labmw.com

BMWBLOG

NEWSLETTER