A rocking MINI by DSQUARED² for the 2011 Life Ball. Initial sketches of the Charity MINI are presented in Vienna.
Press Release: Dean and Dan Caten, better known as the designer duo DSQUARED², yesterday presented the initial sketches of the MINI they have designed exclusively for the 2011 Life Ball. Three weeks before the grand unveiling of this one-off model on 21 May, the Canadian twins are granting a first preview of what this absolute MINI must-have for men will look like.
Since 2001, a MINI created by world-renowned designers has been a pivotal element of the Life Ball. This year, carmaker MINI is supporting Europe’s biggest AIDS charity event for the 11th time. Each year a legendary one-off MINI is produced for the Life Ball, the proceeds of which go to projects combating HIV/AIDS.
Dean and Dan have been dedicated fans of the MINI brand for some time. In April 2010 – freely based on the motto “Time to pack my… MINI Countryman” – they kitted out the latest MINI model with their selection of essential travel accoutrements for the perfect get-away.
The brothers have long cherished a desire to design a MINI Cooper S in their very own style. Dean and Dan are thrilled with the assignment: “If we were a car, it would be rugged and robust. Our MINI ‘Red Mudder’ is an accurate reflection of that. With the maple leaf on both doors and the DSQUARED² logo on the front shield and wheels, this is unmistakably our style.” In recent years, designers such as Agent Provocateur, Donatella Versace, Diesel, Missoni and Gianfranco Ferré have stepped up to the drawing board and designed a MINI for the Life Ball. The 19th Life Ball will be held in Vienna on 21 May and, as ever, will draw in celebrities from around the globe.
Timeline of the Life Ball MINI.
- 2001 – camouflaged MINI, as event precedes market launch
- 2002 – Charity MINI
- With autographs from German/Austrian and international celebrities (e.g. Elton John, No Angels, Heidi Klum, Emma Sjöberg, Mavie Hörbiger)
- 2003 – MINI designed by Missoni
- MINI Hatch by Angela Missoni
- 2004 – MINI designed by Ferré
- MINI Convertible by Gianfranco Ferré
- 2005 – MINI designed by Versace
- MINI Convertible by Donatella Versace
- 2006 – MINI designed by Diesel
- MINI Convertible by Diesel / Renzo Rosso
- 2007 – MINI designed by Testino
- MINI Hatch by star photographer Mario Testino
- 2008 – MINI designed by Agent Provocateur
- MINI Clubman by Agent Provocateur / Joseph Corré
- 2009 – MINI designed by The Blonds
- MINI Convertible by The Blonds for Katy Perry
- 2010 – MINI designed by Diane von Furstenberg, Kenneth Cole and Francisco Costa of Calvin Klein Collection
- MINI Hatch by Diane von Furstenberg
- MINI Convertible by Kenneth Cole
- MINI Countryman by Francisco Costa of Calvin Klein Collection
- 2011 – MINI designed by DSQUARED²
- MINI Hatch by Dean and Dan Caten