2012 BMW 1 Series Hatch Spied Again

Spy Photos | April 17th, 2011 by 17
dsc0381kopie 750x500 2012 BMW 1 Series Hatch Spied Again

The spy photos teasing continues with the soon-to-unveiled BMW F20 1 Series Hatchback. The second generation 1 Series will debut later this year with sales starting in early 2012. The new 1 Series will first launch in three and five-door variants. The Coupe and Convertible bodystyle will follow at the end of 2012.

As we mentioned several times before, the 2012 1 Series hatchback is built under the codename F20, and will feature a slightly longer wheelbase and wider track than the current model. The car is set to go head-to-head with the Audi A3, one of the market leaders in the entry-level premium segment.

Design wise, the F20 1 Series sports a lower character line that gives the car a more aerodynamic look. The design is considered to be an evolution of the current generation 1 Series, but with much more convex and concave shapes, 3D surfaces, a trend that evolves from recently unveiled BMWs.

dsc0384kopie 655x435 2012 BMW 1 Series Hatch Spied Again

At the front end, BMW revamped the headlights, bumper and kidney grille design. For the first time, LED signals made their way onto the side mirrors, an interesting move by BMW and likely followed by future models. Inside, the steering wheel design and dashboard controls align with the current design language at BMW, including the new LCD screen that takes a similar stand as the one recently displayed in the new 6 Series Concept. The car will inherit some cues from the 5 Series, taking the sometimes criticized 1er interior to higher luxury levels.

dsc0381kopie 655x435 2012 BMW 1 Series Hatch Spied Again

At launch time we suspected the new 1er will be using a range of three and four-cylinder engines, but latest information reveal that the F20 1 Series will debut with four-cylinder bangers only. The 116i and 118i will be powered by a new four-cylinder turbocharger, while the 116d and 118d will make use of diesel powerplants.

The public debut will take place on home turf at the Frankfurt Auto Show in September.

[Photos: Christian Wimmer GCF ]

17 Responses to “2012 BMW 1 Series Hatch Spied Again”

1. Bryce says:

I want a 3-door hatchback!

2. Tom says:

Not bad.

3. how do they think a weird set of stickers will disguise how teh car looks, what happened to the good old days of black platic and tape to hide prototypes.

4. Manchester Man says:

look like the current one series (the shape)

5. The proportions look pretty good. The front overhangs look a little longer than the current 1er in these pics. I hope the final product looks sporty and athletic, and not like a lowered X1. You can definitely tell it will feature lower placed wider twin grilles carried over from the rest of the line-up. Still wish the 5-door hatch was coming to the US.

6. Sajan says:

At least they’ve removed the criticized ‘sit up n beg’ angle that the windscreen used to be at in relation to the windscreen. I’m slightly worried that this might look slightly outdated and bland compared to the new a3 though. The sketches of that are really very nice, but then again it’s just a sketch that hasn’t been toned down by the engineers

• FreudeKing says:

my worry too. If you look at what Merc will do with their coming A Class. This is no effort at all in comparison. Shame on BMW

7. Sajan says:

*in relation to the bonnet*

8. La Ma says:

Looks too much like the old one. Bigger and better but too much similarity. I still prefer the look of the Mazdaspeed 3 which imho the king of the segment. BMW needs to pull out some trick and magic to make it look really good. It could happen as the X3 looked like a dog on the early pictures and a nicely shaped car in real life.

9. Freudeking says:

I am not impressed at all that it looks so similar to the current model. Did you see the A Class concept? I would have expected something similar from BMW. Afterall, BMW is the leader in the premium segment and they should be coming up with interesting and attractive products to lead the industry.

Are you sure about the LED indicaotr lights being on the side mirror? It is not very BMW like. If that orange thing (which I thought was just a stupid sticker as with other prototypes from BMW during testing) is really the indicators, then I must say that it is ine UGLY indicator in that UGLY orange colour. NO CARS would make it orange if they are going to put it on the side mirror! It is normally chrome.

10. Ruslan.Kz says:

The ugly shape of the headlights. It spoils a car.

11. Hi…I own a brand new 2010 BMW 1 Series, and I am quite satsfied with the performance that I am getting out of my car…Thanks for spending your time in coming out such a nice post…

12. Hi…I own a brand new 2010 BMW 1 Series, and I am quite satsfied with the performance that I am getting out of my car…Thanks for spending your time in coming out such a nice post…