Just a few days ago, we posted the first photo of a BMW 1M delivered at the BMW Welt in Munich. This is the first 1M delivery to a customer, in this case, a Canadian citizen that made history for himself.
Member of 1Addicts, “WLKSFTLY” received a special VIP treatment from BMW which included a visit at the BMW M facility in Garching. To celebrate the moment, BMW allowed the lucky customer to interact with some of the engineers directly responsible for the 1M.
Here are some of the things related by these engineers:
- Front Strut Bar – If you din’t see it on the marketing cars….you will…There is a massive metal ring on the top of each strut tower that has beams attached to them that run back to the firewall. Completely different than the 135i
- Extra Water Cooler: Driver side front
- Upgraded Power Steering Cooler
Upgraded Rack Ratio
- Completely different tune, although on a very similar engine. – We were describing how we were driving the car trying to make the appointment at M and one engineer told me, “the only reason you haven’t spun it is becuase you left the traction control on….” He also dropped that this would occur because….there is more under that pedal than might be printed in a brouchure….
- Lightweight Flywheel, a lot lighter, as described to us, its as light as could possibly be used in a dual mass application.
Dry Sump Light weight transmission, totally new for this application
New Driveshaft, lightweight to addapt to the new transmission
M3 Differentialwith dynamics for the shorter wheelbase considered with integrated cooling fins
- Complete M3 suspension – Control Arms, Shocks, and other components. The shocks use the stock points as the M3s do, however, they are completely different for compression and rebound, similarly the bushing are the same size etc, however, are cast for the 1M application, Sway Bars and something else I’m forgetting right now..
Last but not least, some videos of the 1M in Black Sapphire.
In the next few weeks, BMWBLOG is also preparing to take delivery of a 1M in Valencia Orange at the BMW Welt, and our entire trip will be documented, from ordering to pickup, to M Festival and Nurburgring, drop-off and re-delivery back in the US. Stay tuned for a few months of 1M exclusive coverage, both from Germany and United States.