Rumor: BMW M5 xDrive model might come to market

Featured Posts, Rumors | April 7th, 2011 by 24
BMW M5 Concept 951 1 750x500 Rumor: BMW M5 xDrive model might come to market

In an interview for Autocar UK, Albert Biermann, BMW M’s head of R&D, said that an all-wheel drive M5 is on BMW’s radar to satisfy demand from the snow belt in the U.S. where all-wheel-drive vehicles from Mercedes and Audi are selling well: “There will be some all-wheel-drive surprises on M cars in the future,” says Biermann.

First BMW M xDrive models hit the market nearly two years ago when BMW launched the X5 M and X6 M twins.

Staying on the M5 news, the same magazine reports that the new M5 makes around 552 bhp and 510 lb-ft of torque, a number that has not been official confirmed by BMW.

BMW M5 Concept 951 1 655x438 Rumor: BMW M5 xDrive model might come to market

The V8 turbocharged engine is the same S63 unit used in the X5 M and X6 M, but with revised induction and exhausts for sharper throttle. 0 to 62 mph is said to come in 4.5 seconds, equalling the straight-line performance of its main rival, the Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG.

Autocar speculates on the possibility of the same engine to be used in the new M6 Coupe and Convertible which launches next year as well. The four-door Gran Coupe will also receive the powerful V8 engine.

When it launches in the UK, the new BMW M5 is expected to cost around 75,000 British Pounds.

[Source: Autocar ]

24 Responses to “Rumor: BMW M5 xDrive model might come to market”

1. Briem says:

I will lose all confidence in BMW if they start with four-wheel drive in their M cars..

PLEASE DONT LET IT HAPPEN!!!!!!

• La Ma says:

start it ? Dude u r like 2 years behind. X5M and X6M are both 4WD //M SAV’s which means they are just big tall cars. No truck word can be used in the sentence with the X5 and X6.

• Arbaud says:

Haha sorry La Ma for not being so specific, but what I meant was that I don’t want BMW to start using 4WD in their saloon and coupé cars like the M5 and M3 etc. In my opinion that would ruin the whole charisma that BMWs M cars have. For example, which they get from being famous for their RWD-system.

I mean there is so much more joy in driving a RWD car and remember what BMW says, JOY IS BMW!

And yes I am aware that X5M and X6M are 4WD, since my father has the X6M :)

• Arbaud says:

And yes I am aware that X5M and X6M are 4WD, since my father has the X6M :)

• Arbaud says:

And yes I am aware that X5M and X6M are 4WD, since my father has the X6M :)

• La Ma says:

• Speedy M says:

Being a true BMW enthusiast I see it differently. As I recall BMW used a turbo in the 2002 in the ’60’s and the M1 was built in conjunction with Lamborghini which began using all wheel drive years ago. A car have 1000 hp but getting it to the pavement is what counts, just ask the R&D guys at Bugatti. Keeping the faith I hope they complicate the system enough to be able to push a button so 100% of the power can be sent to the rears. How else can you drift through a corner and beat an Audi in the rain?

2. Manny Antunes says:

This decision may be why Dr Kay will be leaving us. First the X5/X6M, then the 1M Coupe. All models that go completely against the ///M Tradition. Now XDrive in the M5. As much as i’d like to think it’s a performance enhancer, my gut tells me it will be a “Dumbed Down” M5 without Sports Suspension or other goodies to keep it a true Sports Sedan. But that’s just my guess ;-)

3. Manny Antunes says:

By the way, did anyone else pick up the Gem at the end of that article??

“The four-door Gran Coupe will also receive the powerful V8 engine.” Can you say Gran Coupe ///M ! ;-)

4. StraightSix says:

Turbocharged engines, all-wheel drives M cars….seems like it’s all going downhill…for true fans at least.

5. StraightSix says:

6. Ivan Neri says:

Yeah we are celebrating! At this point, why not throw a M5-M3-RS or AMG? Now the badge “M ” can stick on anything with four wheels to come out of their factories … I’m sorry, but in 5 years BMW has become a general builder and has completely lost its authentic DNA. Earn millions of Chinese, American and Indians customers, good for her, too bad for those who have bought the BMW for 30 years and now has to be something different …

7. Otto says:

* troll mode on *

LIES!!!
    BMW cannot be a follower!
    They already are?!?!
    Ah ok, sorry…

* troll mode off *

8. Tom Cardone says:

Whats with the hate? Yeah it sucks that theyre not sticking to what they always do cause that just is, BMW. but with all the competition from Mercedes and Audi this is probably smart for ///M. I see alot of changes in BMWs future just to be “the best”

9. viper says:

552 is less than 555 if you know the math , and if you people remember it was said that the v8 in the new m5 will be more powerful than one in x5m . or it will have the exact same hp 555. copy and paste well common with bmw.

as for the xM version of the M5 , no comment , as for the 4.5 to 100kmh , that is just plain WEAK

• Otto says:

Indeed, there must be a mistake : The RS3 does 4.6s from 0 to 100 kph with only 340 bph. How ridiculous would it be if I can’t blow a RS3 with my M5 at the traffic light?

10. EMPOWER says:

I don’t see the issue if amg and rs are out selling m in snow belt regions then why not offer a 4 wd OPTION. so everyone can enjoy BMW M.

11. Ralf says:

what’s the problem with the AWD noone said that they will not offer a RWD there is so much people that likes AWD ,if u don’t want AWD buy a RWD no one will tell u no

12. F22/777F_driver says:

Even when in AWD if AWD not needed it will probably be a 10/90 torque split until the front is needed. Those who think they will notice the difference are full of it

13. […] Without a doubt this is an indication that BMW is testing some sort of all-wheel drive system, possibly for the highly rumored next generation M5 and M6. […]

14. […] Without a doubt this is an indication that BMW is testing some sort of all-wheel drive system, possibly for the highly rumored next generation M5 and M6. […]