First Spy Photos: BMW 3 Series GT

bmw 3 series gt1 First Spy Photos: BMW 3 Series GT

A BMW 3 Series GT has been rumored for quite some time now and several reports have been published by us in the past, but today, first spy photos of the 3 Series GT surfaced on the interwebs. As expected, the 3 Series Gran Turismo features some design cues as seen on the bigger 5GT, a hatch (simplified this time) and a raised ride height. The 3 Series GT will offer similar attributes and design ideas as the bigger GT, but with a more attractive and sleeker lines.

The car has a high belt line that completely wraps around the car, therefore allowing the roof to be lower and sleeker.

The core idea of a Gran Turismo vehicle remains, traveling in style and luxury, but without sacrificing performance. Even though not officially confirmed, we expect the 3 GT to be also a vehicle built from inside out, same as the first Gran Turismo penned by Christopher Weil.

bmw 3 series gt1 655x413 First Spy Photos: BMW 3 Series GT

Our sources says the 3 Series GT will offer a simple hatch function forgoing the twin trunk arrangement on the 5er GT. BMW intends to offer both turbocharged petrol and diesel four cylinder engines. For the high-end 3 Series GT, a choice of six cylinders and a hybrid drivetrain will be available. BMW’s all-wheel-drive platform, xDrive, will be optional as well.

We learned that internally the 3GT is referred as the “Progressive Activity Coupe.”

The 3er GT build on the success of the 5 Series GT which has sold over 20,000 units since its introduction at the end of 2009. In the US, the 5er GT has already eclipsed over two-years combined sales of the 5 Series Touring.

With first test mules hitting the ground in late March, we anticipate that BMW will unveil the 3 Series GT in a concept form at the home show in Frankfurt.

[Source: Brenda Priddy via Autoblog ]

23 responses to “First Spy Photos: BMW 3 Series GT”

1. CurbCheckBilly says:

Doh.. I feel like Chris Bangle wasn’t that bad at all.

2. Alen Residovic says:

@Curb… Seeing all those camouflaged BMW concept models in the past, you should learn till now that BMW always tends to make a car look as different as possible from the final product, so they could work in peace, or have a better effect when the car finally gets unvieled. (Remember the X6 camouflage plastics all around the car, I thought it’s gonna be the ugliest BMW ever, but turned out to be the opposite).So I wouldn’t judge the car design till I see the car on the road… or until I had a chance to drive it… cheers.

3. Alen Residovic says:

4. FormerB7 says:

Maybe this is the new 4 Series?

5. Tom Cardone says:

definitely has 4 series proportions but the 3 series is due out pretty soon. i hate waiting for the final products lol

6. Br says:

One more crappy and ugly car after the 5 GT. BMW, why are you keep making some rubbish? No matter how great the interior is, a car needs a great look in order to sell well. 5GT has been selling well just because it was a new car, of a new category, but this.. Bangle really wasn’t that bad after all..

• La Ma says:

its better then the 5GT already. bungle was an idiot. don’t try and defend him, nothing he ever created looked even decent. not even remotely. all he did was crap.
      the new cars are departed bungle cars, not perfect but better then anything that CFI bungle created.
      This car looks too large and bulky so I guess either the 3 will grow big, or 4 series.
      If the 3 grows too big then the 1 will grow too, give way to a smaller FWD car. Makes sense in this way, although I hate to see the 3 become the 5 series.

• Horatiu B. says:

I think it has been selling well cause many customers moved away from the Touring, especially in the US. It’s an niche vehicle, that’s all. Won’t matter much, but will give them an advantage over the competition.

7. JRobUSC says:

I think the entire rear of the car is fake panels to hide the actual shape. BMW has said the 3GT would be sleeker than the 5GT and wouldn’t have the dual-opening trunk. If it doesn’t have that sedan-style trunk opening the deck doesn’t need to be flat and raised like it is on the 5GT and in the photos above. I think (hope) it’s just a ruse to throw people off, and in reality the car is going to be much better proportioned than it looks here.

8. plaxico says:

whats the point of this car…

9. Jakemiller5000 says:

I think the 3er GT would fit in well in the 3er hierarchy. It’ll be that kind of car that’ll offer that “special something” to someone who doesn’t want the sedan but also doesn’t feel at home in the touring model.

10. viper says:

Oh man 3gt?! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

11. marco says:

Oh God no… not another GT model… NOBODY BOUGHT THE 5 GT, WHY WOULD THEY MAKE THIS???

12. Imkdd says:

Can’t wait. It’s more practical than the sedan, not as staid looking as the Touring (reminds me of my grandfather’s Hornet), and not a truck. For me, fastbacks/hatchbacks have the most appealing form factor. IMHO :-)

13. I’ve never liked Station Wagons aka Estates coz they remind me of death, when iSee them iSee coffins inside of them. This car will suit me jusssssst fine, Joy of the Ultimate Driving Machine.

And iThink i’ve seen this car here at the Rosslyn Plant in South Africa…