Rumor: BMW to offer 4 Series four-door coupe

Featured Posts, Rumors | March 23rd, 2011 by 34
auto motor und sport Heft 8 2011 c403x569 ffffff C b9089bb0 465834 403x500 Rumor: BMW to offer 4 Series four door coupe

Rumor of the year comes from German magazine Auto Motor Und Sport which reports on BMW’s plans to introduce a new 4 Series line-up. Beside the sedan, coupe and convertible variants, the magazine says a four-dour coupe type of vehicle will be introduced as well.

The 4er is said to compete with the A5 Sportback and it will feature a coupe-like roof line.

Last year, we reported several times on BMW’s plans to launch a 3 Series Gran Turismo variant and according to our sources, the vehicles is still on schedule to launch in 2013. It is unclear at the moment if the two rumored vehicle are in fact one and only.

auto motor und sport Heft 8 2011 c403x569 ffffff C b9089bb0 465834 Rumor: BMW to offer 4 Series four door coupe

So what would be the reasons for BMW to introduce a new 4 Series? Similar to the 6 Series offerings, the 4er models will fit between the 3 and 5 Series and will feature a coupe-like look. By offering a higher positioned coupe, BMW will compete on the market with Audi and Mercedes, which is said to introduce a smaller SLS model.

The new 4 Series will also allow BMW to price the vehicle slightly higher, at a premium price.

The overall dynamic design would appeal to a younger demographic as well and will be a viable alternative to the high-end 6 Series Coupe.

If indeed BMW has any plans to introduce this new series, we believe the Gran Coupe name might be attached to it. In 2012, BMW will also launch a four-door coupe variant of the new 6 Series. The 6er Gran Coupe will compete with the Mercedes CLS and Audi A7.

BMW has recently also filed for U.S. trademarks for 2 Series model designation. Rummormill churns out that the the 2 Series badge would actually be given to the next-generation of 1 Series Coupe and Convertible models.

No other details are available at the moment and this is the first time we have heard of a 4 Series plan, so take these rumors with a big grain of salt.

[Source: AMS via BimmerToday ]

34 responses to “Rumor: BMW to offer 4 Series four-door coupe”

1. Alen Residovic says:

Well, knowing that the F30 3 Series would be slightly bigger than the current 3 series E90, don’t see the gap between F30 3 Series and F10 5 Series, that would be filled by BMW 4 Series. I’d rather make a best 3 series sedan till now, and the best 3 series coupe till now… rather than introducing new series lines like Mercedes and Audi…

Just describe me a profile of a driver to whom a 3 series F30 sedan is small, and a 5 series F10 is too big,and prove that he really needs an Audi A5 4-door looking model? While doing that, please have in mind the Gran Coupe (4 door) model too…

• harig says:

Believe it or not, I would be that driver who fits the profile for a 4-series. I own a 5er and I think it’s too big for my everyday commute and a 3er is too small to squeeze in 2-3 other carpoolers in the car. I am in the market now looking at an E39 which is perfect size for my needs. (Because E39 is smaller than E60 but bigger than E90).

Regardless of the ‘need’, BMW has to satisfy the ‘want’ aspect of the market. The more choises you give to the buyers, the more probability they will pick your brand. Simple as that.

• JDDS says:

Same here. I currently own a 5er, but it is generally too large for my everyday needs. Love the car, though! However, I found that my previous 3er was too small for when I had to pile my step children into the car or when I had company in town. Those occasions are few and far between, but given the choice of a 4-series, I’d probably be one of the first in line.

• harig says:

2. Manchester-Man says:

Wont the 4 series eat up some of the 5 series sales? If it does so then it can back-fire, such as paving way for the E-Class or the A6 to become the market leaders in this segment which would be disasterous for BMW.

Peace

3. Efozab says:

As long as it come in a GT format it will sell well.

4. Efozab says:

I look forward to the GT version.

5. EMPOWER says:

the 3 series is to run of the mill now and the 4 will be more exclusive and command a higher price and more profitably as it will be built on the new 3 series platform but priced higher. i bet bmw wished they called the e36 coupe the 4 series now

6. viper says:

if it was true then it would be a blast
    4series and 4door coupe , is something bmw lacks , audi has a5sportback and an a7 , the merc has 2nd gen, cls and if you ask me those coupe limos are the best looking , if bmw makes something somilar it would sell for sure.
    I just dont understand why bmw hasn’t made one yet by the year 2011.
    baby sls , the MB really dominate every segment that exist and that does not exist

7. bob says:

BMW AG abandoned their “4 Series” application with the USPTO on August 19, 2004.

8. Fantastic_Beats says:

well iCan’t wait for it, this will be one of the biggest things BMW has done in years. But u know they don’t wana take M3 lovers to the 4Series, they wana take ur Audi A5 users. Nna(I) can’t wait for it plus the X4 on top of that. South Africa is waiting here… ;-)