Rumor: Next BMW 3 Series to feature 150 hp, 1.5-liter, three-cylinder diesel

Rumors | January 8th, 2011 by 29
2013 bmw 3 series rendering1 750x500 Rumor: Next BMW 3 Series to feature 150 hp, 1.5 liter, three cylinder diesel

Based on information from inside sources, UK magazine Autocar speculates on the engine offerings for the next generation BMW 3 Series. According to the UK folks, at launch in late 2011, the new 3er might be offered with a three-cylinder 1.5 liter diesel engine that produces 150 horsepower.

The ultra-small and efficient diesel powerplant is expected to produce less than 100g/km of CO2. In contrast, BMW’s most efficient 3 Series, the 320d EfficientDynamics Edition, produces less than 109 grams per kilometer of CO2. The BMW 320d is powered by a 2.0 liter four-cylinder diesel engine outputting 163 horsepower.

Same magazine speculates further on some of the previous rumors, the new 3 Series will grow in size, courtesy of a longer and wider platform. While Autocar mentions dimensions closer to the previous generation 5 Series, we’re skeptical about these rumors and believe the new 3er will slightly grown in length and width.

2013 bmw 3 series rendering1 655x437 Rumor: Next BMW 3 Series to feature 150 hp, 1.5 liter, three cylinder diesel

2012 BMW 3 Series Rendering

First model to launch is the F30 3er Sedan with the Frankfurt Auto Show being mentioned as the host for the world premiere. The convertible and coupe models will follow in 2012. A GT variant will also appear in the new line-up.

29 responses to “Rumor: Next BMW 3 Series to feature 150 hp, 1.5-liter, three-cylinder diesel”

1. Tom says:

That 1.5-liter, three-cylinder diesel ain’t ever coming to the U.S. in a 3-series. I would, however, strongly consider purchasing a 320d EfficientDynamics Edition if that ever came to the U.S.

2. What is the consumption?

3. StraightSix says:

Why do cars always have to grow in size, 3er like the previus generation of 5er (E60)? This is absurd. If the trend like this goes on the next 5 series will be like the current 7 series.

• bob says:

Or, the E60 & F10 are similar in size to the E38 (SWB).

The reason for cars getting bigger, according to BMW, is because people are getting bigger. They have forecasts, in mm’s, of growth patterns for future generations.

Further, cars are getting bigger due to added features/technology, and safety reasons.

• Heddlu_Cymru M5 says:

Nicely explained! I’m about 180cm tall and can barely sit in the back of the E90. Even sitting in the back seat of the E60 feels like I’m in an E90 as I have to bend my leg a bit (looks like I’m sitting like a girl!). I’m glad that they actually increase the size of the F10 slightly and that I can sit behind comfortabaly. And I’m expecting too, a better result with the F30.

Afterall, there will always be a reason of cars grow in size. There’s no point whatsoever for them to just increase the size by saying ”I don’t know, we think bigger cars are cool!”.

• Doug says:

do they mean that shorter people are getting less short, particularly in parts of the world where nutrition wasn’t so good?

• bob says:

How are BMW’s sales in those countries “where nutrition wasn’t so good”?

• Doug says:

argh……..alright that was a badly thought out and phrased suggestion. My basic query was whether they were basing this on averages and whether that was misconstruing a trend.

“nutrition”, was my vague application of an article I’d read about the anthropological effects of the last century’s changes (eg, technology, trade, economics.. food).

• Doug says:

actually… what difference does it make if people are “getting bigger”. There are already bigger cars.

• bob says:

A 5 Series customer who is getting taller doesn’t necessarily mean that they’re willing or able to step up to a 7 Series.

• Doug says:

Well… I came onto the scene with the E46. It was a small car, but it fit like a glove and I liked it. The E90 was a taller car (sadly) and accommodated more people because of that, but I’m not sure that’s that same thing as the customer getting taller.

If anything, this sounds like it’s part of BMW’s trend in addressing as many types of customers as possible and that gradually defeats the specialization of BMW. They should be finding a way to get more out of the space they have, like lower seats and thinner moon-roofs.

4. KING says:

Turkey expect to have this version. Very efficient and economical engine. 150 hp 1.5-liter diesel. What more can I get?

5. Woo Hoo says:

Get the E90 while you can. These downsized motor news is disappointing.

6. Efoza says:

This is nothing new. During the 1980s and thus during the last major world finance crisis BMW used to make a 316i which actually was a 1.5.

They were rubbish cars but sold well to those who could not afford the real thing (the 325i).

I guess history is about to repeat itself.

For my part I cannot wait until the 3 GT comes out and yes, it has got to be a 325i or 330d GT.

7. wazon8 says:

Nothing new?! Putting aside the fact that 316i was powered by M40B16 engine, which was 1596cc (it’s 1.6 litre (sic!), not 1.5 litre), there is a crucial difference between this engine and the upcoming one, the first was inline 4, the new one will be inline3.

Moreover, the new 3-er will have much better performance and will be around 8 sec. from 0 to 60, so it’s not as rabbish as 316i e30 was. BTW, those who couldn’t afford 325i e30, could always go for a 318is e30 or 320i e30, or 323i e30, which are still nice to drive. 325i wasn’t the version that provided fun from driving it, although it was the best one, except m3 of course.

• Otto says:

Some confusions in here. There was a 315 version of the E21, 4 cylinders, 1.5L, 75 bhp and carburettor.
      The “real thing” was the 323i, not the 325i. Funny enough, its main competitor was the VW Golf MkI 16S (only available in France though).

• Otto says:

Oops, the 315 engine was indeed a 1.6L.

• wazon8 says:

e21 was not produced during 80s, but rather in 70s. After 7 years it was replaced in 82.

• wazon8 says:

…and since 315i e21 appeared in 75, you cannot say – as Efoza did – that there is some connection between introducing it and financial crisis in 80s. Hence, my guess that he referred to e30. Then 325i is the real thing, since it has similar engine to 323i e30, although drilled by 200cc.

8. okeribok says:

This is a small feat! I think it will have excellent fuel consumption, sound interesting, but maybe lack somewhat in torque. I hope it will produce less than 95 CO2/km, so I can get it without taxes.

9. Otto says:

The 315 was introduced in 1979 to answer the oil crisis, check your source.

• wazon8 says:

I figured out why two different years of introduction function. 315i e21 was avaible in Europe since 1975. It was introduced at U.S. market in 1979 as a response on oil crisis. Then the 323i e21 was the real thing.

10. Kenee says:

I think there is some truth in what Efoza says about BMW bringing a 315i out during these tough financial times. I am not sure about dates and whether it was in the 1970s as Wazon 8 suggests or whether it was in 1980s as Efoza suggests but if it was in the 1970s well the world economy was in fact worse in the 1970s than in the 1980s!!!

economy aside, the biggest problem for the 316i and the 318i was the bulky size of the car and the power of those engines. So if BMW is to have a credible 315i it needs to counter this problem as otherwise it would be a waste of money like the 316i was in the 1980s or the 1970s.

• wazon8 says:

I guess that this 315d will be somewhere between current 318d or 320d – in range between 8 – 9 sec. from 0 – 60 mph. It’s not fast, but it won’t share terrible 12 sec. from 0 – 60 with 316i or 10 sec. with slightly better 318i up to e46.

11. alan sioufi says:

it s crazy car i will buy one when it come ready