What women want: Female Drivers’ Top 10 Favorite BMWs

Featured Posts, Interesting | September 27th, 2010 by 27
bmw z4 female What women want: Female Drivers Top 10 Favorite BMWs

While we acknowledge that majority of our readership is male, we cannot simply overlook the fact that an important percentage of our readers are women. Therefore, we decided to turn our attention to our female BMW drivers and find out more about their preferences when it comes to a BMW.

Recent studies show that generally women demand more from their vehicles than men do and are more particular about certain features and capabilities found in a car. In a recent article for Yahoo Autos, Tim Greig, interior design manager for General Motors, said that “what I’ve noticed in our market research, however, is that women tend to not only see the big picture but pay close attention to the details as well.”

Automakers value the importance of a large base of female customers and lots of marketing research and scenario-based approaches are being utilized to determine what a female driver is looking for in a car.

amuse m3 11 655x435 What women want: Female Drivers Top 10 Favorite BMWs

But what motivates female buyers? From market research done by automotive experts, and based on our own experience from conversing with BMW owners or female fans of the brand in general, we learned that safety, comfort, practicality and best-bang for the buck are top priorities for women car buyers.

Many of our Twitter and Facebook followers seem to be driving BMW SAVs, from the entry-level X3 to the highly versatile and comfortable X5. Not enough data is available for the X1, but we expect a large number of those models to go to female owners.

6a00d83451b18a69e2012876961bf3970c What women want: Female Drivers Top 10 Favorite BMWs

In our opinion, convertible bimmers come second. A few years ago, a survey showed that the previous generation BMW Z4 had the sixth highest percentage (60.31 percent) of female primary drivers. Despite what many might think, in the Chicagoland area, we tend to see more M3 Convertible female owners than in the smaller, more affordable and softer designed 1 Series Coupe. The Z4’s body blends convex and concave shapes inspired by a flame. Rumor is that when designing the Z4 roadster, Chris Bangle even commissioned a group of dancers so that he could model the roadster’s form in part based on their spontaneous body movement.

The new BMW Z4 illustrated here.

So we are going to take a chance here and without any official data available to us, will go ahead and list the top 10 BMWs that we believe have the most fans among female drivers. Right after our little stunt, we are going to open a survey where BMWBLOG’s female readers can list their favorite BMWs.

1. BMW 3 Series Sedan, Coupe and Convertible

2. BMW Z4

3. BMW X5

4. BMW X3

5. BMW M3 Convertible

6. BMW 1 Series Convertible

7. BMW 1 Series Coupe

8. BMW X1 (Europe)

9. BMW 3 Series Touring (Europe)

10. BMW 1 Series Hatchback (Europe)

Are we that far off in our top 10? Let’s find out.

27 responses to “What women want: Female Drivers’ Top 10 Favorite BMWs”

1. wazon8 says:

I wonder what is the relation between number of female and number of male buyers of M3 convertible. Horatiu, do you have any datum about that?

• Horatiu B. says:

I will reach out tomorrow to BMWNA and some BMW dealerships and see if we can get some hard data.

• mkM3 says:

I would venture to guess that females buy M3’s – in any body style, whether it be the coupe, sedan, or the convertible – in far less numbers than any other BMW except perhaps other M vehicles such as the M5 and M6. In other words, I think BMWBlog as far off the mark in their estimation of M3 convertible owners.

I suspect that less than 1 in 10 M3 convertible owners are female. Compare to the 1 series and 3 series convertible, where I could easily see it being 50/50. But even if we take cars not even on the list such as the 5 series, X5, and 7 series, I would be willing to guess those are more than 1:10 female to male ratio.

For the M3 coupe and sedan, probably the ratio of female to male gets closer to 1 in 25. So yes, the convertible will appeal more to women than the coupe and sedan. But not so much so that it will get more sales percentage-wise than other non-M vehicles.

• Horatiu B. says:

So far the M3 models got three votes…

• mkM3 says:

No doubt. But this isn’t scientific, right? Unless I am missing out on some way you are preventing anyone (female or male) from voting. Not to mention, preventing female non-owners from voting, vs. true owners.

M3 convertible gets LOTS and LOTS of hate, to the point that people get neurotic and extremely defensive about it and act like total d***** to fellow M3 owners. So, I could easily see people wanting to “scientifically” back up your hypothesis that the M3 convertible is a popular car among women.

• mkM3 says:

Sorry, meant X6 in that comment, not X5.

2. Horatiu B. says:

Based on the results I see in the survey, surprisingly, BMW 6 Series and M6 are at the top.

3. tweer says:

The X6, thats why I bought one.

4. Doug says:

Horatiu, will there be a dating section to bmwblog?

5. claud says:

I see lots of E60 525 and 528s driven by older women in the NC RTP area. Younger women here tend to drive X3s and 325/328i sedans.

6. viper says:

BMW should add that girl in the black dress as an option. I’d tick that box every time.

7. Woo Hoo says:

Funny, here in Germany, I see mostly women driving the compact 1er. Makes sense it looks like a chick car, like the Fiesta.

• viper says:

Nothing wrong with your Fiesta Woo Hoo. Be content, but don’t try to bring the 1er to it’s level to make yourself feel better.

That’s just plain twisted.

8. Federov says:

What no M5.. hehe..
    Now i know why i haven’t been getting too many dates in my M5.
    Car on the list you couldn’t pay me to drive Conv M3. Saw a guy the other day driving one with a smug. The sound on my S85 V10 removed the smug in seconds.. then again the M5 is my date.. next to the wife of course..

9. Roland Renno says:

Amazing. My Z4 is 2nd while my X5 is 3rd. This is why I’m attractive lol.

10. LuckyBMW says:

I am the woman and the best car ever made by bmw company is e31 series classic bmw 8, the most powerful 850CSI. Too expensive for me :(

11. Ceinder says:

My baby is elderly, but she’s my favorite. ’91 850i V12/6
    I used to be a driver. Now I am an enthusiast! E31 all the way!