Video: BMW M5 Touring takes on the Aston Martin DBS

Videos | September 7th, 2010 by 47

M5Board brings us an interesting head-to-head showdown between an Aston Martin DBS Touchtronic and the BMW M5 Touring with ESS ECU chip. Before we all jump into a flaming war about the results, let’s take a step back and lay out some facts. First off, this was a straight-line race with amateur drivers, an important element to consider.

Second, the M5 clearly had some engine modifications which could have given an edge in straight-line.

Third, the DBS has historically scored better times at Nurburgring, so this shows that the car is capable on taking the M5, if handled properly.

With these facts laid out, let’s have a look at the powerplants of these two cars. Aston Martin DBS uses a 5.9L V 12 double overhead cam engine which produces 510 horsepower at 6,500 rpm and 420 ft-lb of torque(570 Nm) at 5,750 rpm. The car weighs 3,737 lbs.

The BMW M5 Touring is powered by the same natural aspirated 5.0-liter V-10 cylinder engine as its sedan counterpart. The new M5 Touring redlines at 8,250 rpm and reaches 500 horsepower and 383 lb-ft of torque. It weighs 4,136 lbs.

47 responses to “Video: BMW M5 Touring takes on the Aston Martin DBS”

1. Andrew says:

wow – i would have not picked the M5 to win that one. The DBS sounds so good – but man it was toppled easily in that video.

2. Giom says:

Surprising indeed. But, like many other, I would also rather have the Aston over the Touring. It would be a conandrum to choose between the M5 sedan and the Aston tho…

I’ll have the M6… thanks:)

3. 330i says:

m5 is nice car…btw dbs is dbs

4. 1Mc says:

Was not expecting that. At all. How does that work exactly – the DBS has more hp, is lighter, yet it slower. Something to do with gear ratios?

5. M5POWER says:

I really didn’t expect that to happen… Honestly!

6. joe says:

i dont even want to think what would have happened if it was a next gen m5
    ;)

7. Babken says:

Chipped? I’m not impressed. Chip a VW Golf, and it will beat the stock M5. It would be fair if they put stock versions against each other. Then I would enjoy the race regardless of the result.

• wazon8 says:

What are you talking about? Have you ever bought chip to N/A engine? You will get around 30hp. Go and check web-sites of the most popular BMW tunners such as Hamman, G-power and so on. You obviously overestimate chip tunning. Even if there were other mods, this V10 rarely go over 560 – 570 hp and as far as I know this M5 was tunned by Supersprint. Even with this advantage of power, DBS should be faster, but Alston’s engineers needed to screw up transmission of power to rear wheels.

• Babken says:

The stock M5 can’t be so fast. And the straight line performance is the current generation M5’s Achilles’ heel. Even the weakest amg (the C63 AMG) easily wins against the M5 on the straight line.

• wazon8 says:

Again, what are you talking about? M5 e60 has 13,5 sec. to 200km/h (touring needs 0.3 additional sec.) and it’s faster than new e 63 amg, c 63 amg and so on. Could you compare data at least one time before you throw your craps again? In such kind of race acceleration to 200 km/h is very important factor and M5 e60 is still one of the best in this respect – only RS6 is faster to 200km/h in this segment. DBS is not so impressive, it has 12,7 sec. to 200 km/h.

And deos anybody say that stock M5 would be faster eighter? All have been said here was that you simply overestimate chip tunning of N/A engine. You compared M5 with 50hp plus to heavy modified VW Golf, which deals with M5. You supposed (via comparision to Golf) that heavy modification had to be done in order to deal with , I reply that all you need is chip tunning, new exhaust and intake systems.

• I’ve driven an M5 flat out before (M School) and it’s no slouch – I’m not sure you’re giving it enough credit. My guess would be that it’s straight-line perfromance heavily depends on the launch by the driver.

I’d also be willing to bet the M5 does a better job putting power to pavement than the C63 does.

8. wazon8 says:

Is German speaker here? There is supposed to be a German language article in which it’s stated that M5 e60 is able to lap Ring in 7:52: http://www.rhein-main.net/sixcms/detail.php/5rmn01.c.1879435.de?topic_id=731907 Could someone confirm it and say us who said that M5 e60 was able to lap so fast?

• Babken says:

Are you kidding? Even the new generation M5 won’t be able to lap the Nordschleife in 7:52. Wake up, man. It’s not an AMG to make incredibly fast laps. It’s a weak fat-ass M car.

• wazon8 says:

Do you have ability to read with understanding? What was the question of my post then?

• bla says:

So i am german and i have read the article. It is said that the m5 e60 did lap the ring in 7:52. But the article was written before the m5 went on sale. Maybe they estimated the time. But since the m3 gts recently lapped the ring in 7:49 you can figure out on your own that the m5 must be way slower.

• wazon8 says:

Ok, I heard about similar pre-production announcement which turned out to be far from truth. Thanks.

• Babken says:

No way. How can a pre-production model be 23 seconds faster than the production model. NONSENSE. Just like the rest of fairy tale comments made by bmw fans.

• wazon8 says:

@Babken: What’s the difference between pre-production announcement and pre-production car? I used to thinking that it’s huge. You can drive the last one, but not the first one, you can utter the first one, but not the last one. You’re very confused.

• Babken says:

Do you understand English? My answer is quite relevant.

• wazon8 says:

Quite relevant to what? I asked what is stated in the article and you started to talking about me dreaming about M5 e60 lapping Ring faster that it actually lapped it. How is it supposed to be relevant answer? Oh, sorry, you’ve added clause “quite”, hence perhaps you disowned ordinary meaning of “relevant”. But why should we care about your idiolect?

9. Expendables says:

Again it’s you Bakben…
    First of all. You failed hard with the chip thing….
    You clearly don’t know anything about engines or chip tuning….
    You’re a joke man you make people laught at you. You’re pathetic and retarded.
    Check the Nurburgring lap times: M3 E92: 8.05
    C63 AMG: 8.13 same as the M5 E60.
    So stop with the: “weakest AMG beats the fastest M” thing cause we all know that’s ridiculous.
    This M5 beat the DBS fair and square.
    It’s all about the gear ratio.
    The M6 is quicker than a Nissan GT-R from 0-300 km/h.
    You’re just a stupid retarded hater.
    All you can do is hate. You really are pathetic man look at yourself…
    But I’m not gonna keep arguing with an idiot over the internet because it’s pointless.
    If you got something to say to me come by my place I’ll give you my adress.
    stupid kid…

• Babken says:

I don’t need to have talk with such a feeble-minded idiot like you. If you have any question to me, you come to me. I ca give you my address. As for which is faster, the C63 AMG is much faster than the E60 M5. Check for the LAP TIMES, you fool.

10. 1Mc says:

Why do you guys even bother with Babken – you know he just talks utter tripe for the sake of it. The guy needs a new hobby.

11. Daniel Hoang says:

Babken, About your comment on the C63

” Even the weakest amg (the C63 AMG) easily wins against the M5 on the straight line.”

But how would the C63 AMG handle around. Jeremy Clarkson can answer that. “Ax Murderer with headlights” Plus the M3 with 30 less hp but it preform 5 seconds faster.

Now put a 2012 Mustang Boss 302 against the C63 AMG.

~26MPG 5.0L 450hp and 400 tq NATURALLY ASPIRATED vs 6.3L 17MPG 450hp.

The Stock GT aready prove to be on par if not better than the M3 according to C&D and Motor Trend.

Now the E63, I have nothing to say about it. It handles and preforms the best of any Merc in existance. Only thing I dislike is most of those aspects are controled by ESC (Electronics).

If all the new E class sedans replace there column shifters to console shifter like the E63, they would be 100s times more sporty looking interior wise and the driver will feel more like they are in a sporty car rather than a Town Car. That empty spot in the middle of the console makes me feel like Im driving my dads truck rather than a Sedan.

• Babken says:

My friend,
      The C63 AMG handles much more better than the E60 M5. Visit fastestlaps com, draw the comparison and become bitterly disappointed with your m5.

• wazon8 says:

Why do you compare small car with huge one? They are even not in the same segment. It’s not surprising that lighter usually handle better than heavier one, especially when there is such difference in size and weight. M3 is C 63 AMG competitor. Don’t forget about it.

• Babken says:

If it’s m5, it should be the KING. And the stupid excuses like the one you’ve made aren’t acceptable. The difference is only about 70kg in Merc’s favour. That shouldn’t have influence on the results. But the C63 AMG is faster. I’m looking forward to the upcoming M5.

12. X5SoB says:

This is obviously a heavily stepped on engine, the stock M5 engine would not win in this race.

13. XC says:

Come on, Babs, just get over it!

• Babken says:

I’ll try, my friend. Though I love BMW more than any of these idiots. The difference between me and them is that I see flaws and criticize them to make BMW better, and they blindly accept whatever they see.