New Teaser Video: BMW 1 Series M Coupe

1M, Featured Posts | August 27th, 2010 by 63
1 series m coupe

BMW TV has just published a video of the upcoming BMW 1 Series M Coupe. After having made an appearance on the Nurburgring race track, the prime candidate in the “Most enthusiastic bimmer of the 2000s” top comes back, and this time we can clearly see its shape, part of the front lights, the wheels and the color of the prototype.

As we mentioned before, the new 1,500 kg M model is powered by an updated/upgraded N55 engine coming from the M Division producing 345 horsepower.

The reason behind the M1 project is not to completely focus on power, but rather build a car more entertaining and thrilling to drive than any BMW ever built before.

BMW 1 Series M Coupe 655x370

The engine is mated to a manual transmission.  As the M3 and other M vehicles, the BMW 1M will offer the much-craved LSD (limited slip differentials).

The car will go on sale in mid 2011 and is rumored to cost about 10,000 euros more than the current 135i Coupe.

Stay tuned for more news and surprises throughout the day!

1 series m coupe 1 655x356

63 responses to “New Teaser Video: BMW 1 Series M Coupe”

1. 1Mc says:

I am slightly peeved that this unveiling wasn’t really an unveiling. Better than nothing I guess. Any hope for something more by the end of tonight or was that it?

2. Lariv says:

This will be the first great looking BMW since the E89 Z4.

3. 1Mc says:

This car is worth living for. No offense to M3 owners, outstanding car – but this is the 1 we’ve been waiting for.

4. Bryce says:

More vehicles like this is what the M Division should be focusing on… The X5M and X6M are great looking vehicles, but this 1 Series M Coupe demonstrates what it really means to be an M vehicle.

5. Horatiu B. says:

And as a treat to everyone, we will interview Dr. Kay Segler tonight, BMW M boss. We can take 3 questions from audience, so let’s hear them.

• Hari says:

My questions for Dr. Kay:

1. Are you willing to accept a fully functional left kidney in exchange for this car?
      2. How about my left kidney + my E60 550i?
      3. Alright, final offer, left kidney + E60 550i + unlimited supply of DOT approved blinker fluid?

6. bunker says:

IT IS ORANGE !!!!

7. bunker says:

that settles it. this is my next car.

8. bunker says:

i’m so flummoxed I’m talking to myself…!

9. Vaybach Khan says:

too bad they didnt change the headlights shape,they just added the bumpers for exterior changes….probably they wanted to save cost..

10. So far, so good! I think this will be a big hit!

11. Jimmy says:

AHHHHHHHH Dayummmmm! Is all I can say!!! Can’t wait for the unvieling

12. 1Mc says:

Okay seriously, it’s like 11pm here in the UK! Feed us something, anything! Tell us what it smells like at least ^^

13. viper says:

heres one.
    we already know whats it look like? Yes.
    is it beautiful? No.
    why does it suck so much?
    and who needs it since its not a porsche killer nor rs4 killer nor anything

14. 1Mc says:

^^ Doesn’t need to kill anything. Just needs to be awesome to drive!

Bed for me – this will give me something nice to wake up to I guess!

15. Ben says:

I am very tired of the competition rims. I just don’t understand why BMW won’t come up with a new set for the M3 Competition package and for the 1 series M. They offer so many choices in the accessories catalog and seems so easy to put an effort for a new variant of the competition rims – a style that set it apart from the old M3 and more importantly, lighter is better!

• 1Mc says:

I love the competition rim, unfortunately they’ll probably be an option and not as standard – but who knows maybe they’ll surprise us.

I can see why some people may be tired of them. But with this car being what it is – they need to get those rims on there to get the message out.

16. Kyle Leclair says:

The N54/N55 engines always confuse me when it comes to power ratings. It is common knowledge that BMW underrates them in the 335i, etc., and actually produce around 350 hp in those applications. When they release a ‘tuned’ version of this engine (Z4is, 335is, and now the 1 Series M), what can the specs actually be presumed as?

17. John Hietter says:

looks good so far, can’t wait for the rest! Glad to see it is relatively light compared to other BMWs. Hopefully they are getting the message and starting to remove some of the fat from their cars.

18. jocamryn says:

“The reason for the 1 Series M…” is to boost sales in it’s last model year and provide a more affordable M Car for the masses.

No thanks.

• 1Mc says:

Yes please. I’ll have one of those. The masses can’t afford a BMW, nevermind this M anyway.

Second hand M3’s that are only 2 years old will be cheaper than this car, so affordability is very much a nonsense seeing as this car will sticker upwards of £40k, $60k in it’s release year.

• jocamryn says:

A 60K 1er?! LMFAO, Even if it’s an m-car I wouldn’t pay that much for a “me too” Bimmer.

• 1Mc says:

The fact that it’s the smaller 1 series based chassis is one of the key advantages, not disadvantages of the 1M. If you’ve gotten lost or hung up in the series numbers then you won’t get able to understand what it is that makes a car good. It certainly isn’t a series number.

I’ve no idea what you mean by a ‘me too’ Bimmer but it sounds like uneducated comment. This car is a driver’s car through and through and will be a starting point for the next M3 in regards to the engine. You won’t find your auto tranny on it either.

Anyone who won’t pay $60k for this car either doesn’t have 60k, or doesn’t have enough experience with cars the value of an M car.

This car is likely to be one of the greats of the decade – as with greatness, it usually flies right over the head of a lot of people.

19. plaxico says:

5years to late, and its u-gly
    who s Gabriela? neeeeeeh , that is one Jessi Lang )

20. Volan says:

so what they are doing, at the end of the day, is bring back the e46 m3 car with an updated face and the M-DCT. BTW, as per their rumours 2-3 months ago, I thought this was a “driver’s car”, so it would come ONLY with MT. Guess not.

Not trying to be a pest, but charging us$50,000 for an updated e46 M3 is a bit too much.

• wazon8 says:

e46 with different engine, platform, gear box and suspension doesn’t seem to be e46 at all. You should have more fain-grained criterion of identity. It’s not updated m3 e46 also, because it’s wholly new car. Give us a single part both cars share. And why not to offer small M-car?

21. 1Mc says:

How can you call it an updated e46 M3 when it shares none of the same parts/chassis/engine

At best you can call it a spiritual successor the e46 M3, and that is something with charging $60k + for. I will pay it at the drop of a hat and so rightly will other enthusiasts.

22. X5SoB says:

Thumbs up to all who give a thumbs down to viper, now we need to do the same to plaxico(who I suspect is the same person).
    The 1M Coupe will be a blast to drive, as it’s main focus, while the M3 will be the weapon of choice for going the fastest. Good stuff.

23. viper says:

useless car , except if ur karting crazy

24. Luca says:

Nothing that a stage 1 chipped out GTI can’t eat up….

• XC says:

You can’t chip class…

• luca says:

Class? I would hardly call a 1 series classy or revolutionary. The GTI is “classic” the bench mark of the original hot hatch. BMW yet has to come up with the reasonably priced performance small car – sorry Mini doesn’t count…..
        the chip is just so that the M looks like an m.

• Woo Hoo says:

Put this POS away!

This just drags down brand image.

All you old farts that dream of a 2002 rebirth are senile. Those days are over big and Lux is IN, not stripped down half BMWs.

Too bad. This car will put the likes of Joe Dirt behind the wheel of a brand the I’d bet that exec in München would cringe to see.

25. I have always believed that BMW is very very serious about safety. I used to own a BMW series 1 car in the past and I can tell you that this car makes you feel extremely safe when you driving it. I am feeling proud to own this car REALLY!!

26. XC says:

Maisto or Minichamps?

27. Jennifer Lee says:

The sound coming from an engine revving to its limits is really music to my ears !
    I have always believed that BMW is very very serious about safety, I used to own a BMW 1 series car in the past and I can tell you that, this car makes you feel extremely safe when driving it !!
    New Cars For Sale