BMW of North America released a bulletin to its dealerships outlining some of the changes coming up starting with September production.
BMW ConnectedDrive Innovations: Advanced on-board use of mobile phones and music players.
Beginning with September production there will be enhancements for BMW Assist with Bluetooth (639) and iPod/USB Adapter (6FL). These enhancements will extend the functionality through improved integration of mobile devices into the vehicle. These new features are made possible by hardware advances and are not “retrofittable” to pre-September builds.
BMW Assist with Extended Bluetooth (639)
The Bluetooth functionality is extended beyond hands-free and phonebook support. Multiple innovations will debut with BMW Assist with Extended Bluetooth. Feature support is dependent upon compatibility with the mobile device.
- Mobile Office: Now with the industry-first mobile office integration of BlackBerry Smartphones, a customer can access email, text messages, and notes all through the iDrive system providing a great integration of mobile life into the vehicle. It is important that drivers maintain focus on the road, and to assist them in maintaining that focus, the text is restricted and only fully displayed when the vehicle is parked. However, with the voice control system included with navigation, the messages are read aloud via text-to-speech so the driver can keep his or her eyes on the road. (Compatible BlackBerry hardware, firmware, and feature set T.B.D.)
- External Call Lists: The new external call list handling provides a more seamless experience by downloading the “re-dial” and “received calls list” at every reconnect of the mobile device and after each call.
- Bluetooth Music Streaming: Bluetooth music streaming offers wireless audio streaming from the mobile device to the vehicle. Music stored on the mobile phone is played and controlled through the iDrive controller.
iPod/USB Adapter (6FL)
This option has also been enhanced with many exciting features.
- iPod One-wire integration: No longer will an iPod connection require the “Y-cable”. The original iPod USB cable is all that is required to connect the device to the vehicle. This simplifies the connection by not requiring the aux-input. The music is transferred directly from the iPod digitally to the HiFi system via USB. Therefore as of September, the Y-Cable will no longer be included with iPod/USB Adapter (6FL).
- Album Cover Art: The ability to display album cover art will also be included with the iPod/USB Adapter. If cover art is contained in the metadata of the song, it will show on the vehicle display while the song is played.
- Voice Control of Devices: In combination with the voice control system included with navigation, the driver can control external devices and select genre, artist, album, and song title by simply speaking the words.
- Mobile Phone Device Driver Update: Lastly, in combination with BMW Assist, the USB port of the iPod/USB Adapter can be used to upload new mobile phone and audio player device drivers. (Release timing for this feature and device driver availability are subject to change.)
1 and 3 Series
The HiFi Sound System (676) that was previously standard prior to September 2009 production will again be standard for all 1 and 3 Series models produced as of September 2010. Compared to today’s basic stereo system, the HiFi Sound System adds the 180 watt multi channel amplifier with equalizing, along with an additional 2 tweeters in the front doors. With the addition of the tweeters the total speaker count is now 8, including the 2 midrange speakers in the front doors, 2 central bass speakers under the front seats, and the two midrange speakers in the rear.
The optional Harmon Kardon Surround Sound system (688) remains available for $875.
Comfort Access (322) functionality has been extended to include handle-area lighting. There is no change to the option price.
Gray Boston Leather (LWAL) has been changed from a Priority 1 option to a regular stand-alone option. It has also now includes a black world color vs. a gray world color (i.e., only the seats and door inserts come in grey. The remainder of the door surfaces and dashboard are now black, as is the case with the other leather options except for Taupe Boston Leather (LAW5).
The M3 as of September production will bring a number of important changes that were incorporated from the feedback we received from our most enthusiastic customers.
New standard features:
- M Drive: The M Button on the steering wheel can be programmed to set the drivers preferences for Stability Control, Steering mode, Shift light, EDC, and if the car has the M DCT the Drive logic mode can also be set.
- Automatic/Start Stop: A feature developed from BMW’s EfficientDynamics strategy that will shut down the engine under certain conditions when the vehicle comes to a complete stop. The benefit of this technology is reduced fuel consumption and the function can be switched on/off via a button located next to the Start/Stop button.
- Manual M Sport Seats: On the M3 Coupe and M3 Sedan the manual M Sport Seats offer the same adjustments as the previous seats but operated manually which saves weight and expense for customers who do not require power seats. Lumber support and seatback side bolters remain electrically adjustable. Power Seats remain standard in the M3 Convertible.
New Mineral White Metallic paint is available on the M3 Coupe and Convertible.
New optional Bi-color Novillo Leather (non-extended) is available in black with red seating surfaces and soft door panel sections, or black with gray seating surfaces and soft door panel sections.
A new Premium Package 2 (ZP2) package is available, which has the same equipment as the prior Premium Package, but adds Power Front Seats for the M3 Coupe and Sedan.
An all-new Convenience Package (ZCV) is available that replaces the Technology Package. This includes:
- Anti-theft Alarm
- Comfort Access
- Park Distance Control (rear)
- Navigation system including Voice Command and Real Time Traffic
- iPod and USB adaptor
5 Series – 535i xDrive, 550i xDrive, and M Sport Package
Two exciting updates start with September production for the 5 Series. First is the availability of two new models, the 535i xDrive and 550i xDrive priced at $51,900 and $62,000 respectively. Pricing and equipment information can be found in bulletin B-1-0610-11-5 5 Series Sedan xDrive Pricing released on June 18th.
M Sport Package
The M Sport Package (ZMP) returns to the 5 Series delivering performance and style for the most enthusiastic of BMW drivers. The package starts where the Dynamic Handling Package leaves off but brings a number of M style visual cues. They are: The M Aerodynamic Kit for a sportier and aggressive look, M Steering Wheel for the best ergonomic grip, Aluminum Hexagon interior trim (wood available), and to finalize the look are the M double-spoke light alloy wheels (size 18” on the 528i and 19” on the 535i, 550i, 535i xDrive, and 550i xDrive – RWD models offer performance run-flat tires and xDrive models offer all-season run flat tires).
5 Series Gran Turismo (Model Year 2010)
Gas Guzzler Tax
As a result of final confirmatory fuel economy testing, the highway and combined values for the 550i Gran Turismo have been increased by one MPG. This eliminates the gas guzzler tax on vehicles with a Monroney label dated after 6/24/2010.
5 Series Gran Turismo (Model Year 2011)
Model Year 2011 for the 5 Series Gran Turismo starts with September production. With that brings the addition of a new model, the 535i xDrive at a base price of $58,300 completing the 5 Series Gran Turismo product offering. The equipment profile is the same as the 535i rear wheel drive model however Integral Active Steering (2VH) is not available.
Equipment and Price Updates
The following optional equipment updates are available as of MY11:
Camera Package (ZCE) $1,200
- Rear-view camera (3AG)
- Side and top view cameras (5DL)
Sports Package (ZSP) $2,200
- Addition of 840 Increased top speed limiter
- xDrive models will have the same contents as their rear wheel drive counterparts including wheel style with the exception of the tires. Rear wheel drive models come with run flat performance tires on the 19” wheel and xDrive models receive run flat all-season tires. Both 8 Cylinder models have the upgrade option for 20” style 316 which are only offered with mixed performance tires for $1,000.
Priority 1 Changes: The following have been moved to Priority 1
- Luxury Seating Package (ZLU)
- Nappa Leather (NA)
Gas Guzzler Tax
- Currently there is no Gas Guzzler tax for any Model Year 2011 5 Series Gran Turismo model. This eliminates the Gas Guzzler tax on vehicles that have been wholesaled after June 24, 2010.
Instrument Cluster Upgrade
- The top instrument cluster that is included with navigation will be included on non-navigation vehicles. This increases the size of the electronic portion of the display from 5.7” to 9.2”, improves the graphic detail presented, and enhances the functionality by increasing the amount of information that can be displayed:
The Model Year 2011 760Li will start production in September 2010. We are pleased to announce that there are no changes to the equipment profile or the price of the vehicle.
As announced at the New York Auto Show, xDrive will be available on both of the BMW ALPINA B7 Sedans. This all-wheel drive performance luxury Sedan achieves 0-60 mph in 4.6 seconds. The B7 will again set the benchmark in terms of performance, refinement, technology, luxury and exclusivity.
The B7 xDrive models will come standard with the same equipment level as the RWD B7 models. The base price for the B7 xDrive short wheel base model is $125,000 and the B7 xDrive long wheel base is $128,900.
The stand-alone optional 19” wheel on the xDrive models (2ST) with performance tires will be replaced with all-season tires (2H1). The wheel styling 235 will remain the same.
The Rear Comfort Seats, which are available in the Luxury Rear Seating Package (ZLU) on the 740Li, 750Li, and standard on the 760Li, will now include a middle seat and seat belt. This means that all 7 Series models will be able to seat 5 passengers.
The 740i and 740Li production restraint that forced every vehicle to have Multi-contour (456) and Heated Seats (494) will no longer apply with the end of August production. Beginning with September production, Multi-contour seats can be ordered in the Luxury Seating Package or as a stand-alone option for $1,300. Heated Seats are standard on the 740Li and available in the Cold Weather Package and as a stand-alone option for the 740i models for $500.
The sensor for Active Cruise Control with Stop & Go (5DF) will be the same size as the 5 Series sensor, meaning it is smaller than the previous sensor. The placement of the sensor will remain to the right of kidney grille.
The Rear Seat Entertainment Package (ZRP) has been moved from a Priority 1 to a stand alone option.
X5 & X6
Effective immediately, roof rails (386) are available as a stand-alone option for the X5 xDrive35i for $100. Any order that is not locked can be modified to add this option.
Heated rear seats (496), Multi-contour seats (456), and Navigation (609) have been moved from a Priority 1 to a stand alone option on the X5 and X6 models. Pricing for these options have not changed.
To build on the success of the aesthetic Exclusive Ivory White Leather Package (ZWP) an exciting new character package will be added this year with a sportier theme. The all-new Exclusive Citrus Yellow package (see images below) will include the following features:
- Sport seats with an exclusive black Alcantara/leather combination (GNSW). The center of the seats and backrest panels are black with Alcantara with yellow accents.
- Armrests and center console in black Nappa leather with door inserts in yellow Alcantara with a double lapped seam
- Center of passenger-side dashboard in black Alcantara with yellow stitching. Lower dashboard in Citrus Yellow
- Individual Piano Black wood trim (4ML), which is only available with this package
- Anthracite colored headliner (775)
- Exclusive exterior color Atacama Yellow (B21) which is only available with this package. Additional color choices are: Alpine White, Jet Black, Titanium Silver, Black Sapphire, and Space Gray
In the event that Atacama Yellow is ordered with a 35is, mirror caps will be yellow rather than the oxide silver as is standard on other 35is models.
The all-new Exclusive Citrus Yellow package will also be available for ordering in combination with the M Sport Package as the ZMY package. ZMY will include Individual Piano Black wood trim (4ML) as the default trim.