Be A Designer: We designed the BMW 3 Series the way you wanted to!

Be a designer | June 30th, 2009 by 34
bmw 3er fd amkt 011 Be A Designer: We designed the BMW 3 Series the way you wanted to!

Over a week ago, we launched one of the most unique and interesting projects involving the BMW community. We decided to give you, our readers, a  chance to express your opinion on the design lines of the current BMW 3 Series sedan. Your ideas and suggestions would have formed the base of future graphic renderings which will showcase the 3 Series just the way you wanted to.

We have always valued your input, comments, suggestions and this was a way for us to repay you and allow you to become more involved with our blog. To make this even more interesting, we teamed up with, which presented the same challenges to their readers. A question has arisen from the beginning: will people across the globe share the same design opinions and passion for BMW?

Well, today we have our answer and thanks to the hard work of rendering artist Andrei Arvavarii, who had to scan through the tens of comments to find the most common requested design elements, we are able to bring you not one, but two different versions of the current BMW 3 Series Sedan.

bmw 3er fd amkt 01 290x184 Be A Designer: We designed the BMW 3 Series the way you wanted to!
BMW 3er BB 01 h 290x184 Be A Designer: We designed the BMW 3 Series the way you wanted to!
Be A Designer BMW 3 Series
Be A Designer BMW 3 Series
Be A Designer BMW 3 Series
Be A Designer BMW 3 Series
Be A Designer BMW 3 Series
Be A Designer BMW 3 Series

Be A Designer BMW 3 Series
As you can see, one version of the front-end is a bit closer to the reality, but the second one brings out a lot of the M1 Hommage elements and it’s rather quite interesting. Now let’s see what the Automarket readers came up with: Be A Designer for Automarket
This has been a fun project and judging by the positive reactions we’ve had, we will continue it in just a few weeks. Of course, many of you might wonder which model will we be choosing next and so far, our thoughts gear towards the new BMW 7 Series, a model that has been slightly criticized when it came out, but started to grow on everyone lately.

We would like to thank you everyone for the comments and we hope you enjoyed this as much as we did.

This project has been exclusively sponsored by Classic BMW, Ohio.

• Have more of a light catching feature on the lower half of the body side.
  • I was looking at the X1, and my favorite ‘feature’ in its design is how the crease around the DLO (seen at the C-Pillar) suggests the connection, under the belt line, to the lower light catcher at the base of the doors.

Mauro Corti, bm3rmy, Vaybach Khan, AiRi, Lariv

• taillights- changed like 3er coupe

Mauro Corti, bm3rmy, Lariv, Paul

• More integrated door mirrors.

Mauro Corti

• the car is too narrow and high in the back, I’d like it a lillte more like audi a4, lower and larger

• front bumper- in the middle looks like passat, change that, make it to look that the car has some muscle.
  • front lights – I would like to be more aggressive – to bi a little bit inside of the front bumper and to have a kinetic look with some new innovative features like audi but not like waves.

Vaybach Khan

• maybe a little more coupe side windows..with a longer trunk aiming to the ground…
  • the front end and grill i would like to be profiled in opposite way then current, like e24 perhaps..with big grills

• New alloy wheels

• Sportier bumper like the M3 Coupe, but more solid – not just fins.
  • Headlights – must use white LED fed corona rings like the 5GT with chrome eyelids – not this white transparent colour of ice-cream tubs.
  • Grille – larger and widerlike the Z4 in silver with chrome surrounds. Shape must be changed to a trapezium that is indented – not a flat nose.
  • The bumper edges around the wheel is too sharp, there must be a more E36 type of premium look.
  • The rear bumper must be more muscular and sporty.
  • And that rear wheel arch bulge like the ones on the CS please

• M1 concept front-end lights

• Widen the kidney grills slightly so they’re closer to the edging, and maybe enhance the chrome surrounds… ie, make it a little thicker.
  • The windowsill line, raise that by not even an inch. This is to decrease the side window area, creating a more coupe like proportion.

• try to use an orange light rod like those used for the halo lights. I always liked the constant orange rod on the 5ser and it was a shame it just wasnt used for the repeater
  • Also, there´s just to much going on on that back bumper…needs to be more clean with less lines
  • and the front bonnet always looks like its open and it needs to be straight instead of having all those grooves that fit the kidneys, that need to be maybe bigger but for sure thicker – try the m3 i like the way they are slightly “in” the bumper if you now what i mean.
  • also the chrome surroundings on the windows are a bit out of date…i am sure bmw already working on this as the new 7 and GT have them thicker.
  • Also ditch those fog lights..they are just so 90´s with that glass housing…dont go audis way as fiat and merc have but instead of the boring LED´s try to use a rod or something like the new RR has.

• Front apron of the 135i coupé

34 responses to “Be A Designer: We designed the BMW 3 Series the way you wanted to!”

1. Gord says:

Looks pretty good. I quite like both headlight modifications.

2. Edox says:

Those drawings look nice. I prefer the one with the M1 front end lights. Moncho is a genius for mentioning that. Props to him

• Horatiu B. says:

Interesting you say that :) I was the one pushing for the other headlights, didn’t think people will like the M1 headlights on it….Glad you like it…

3. AutoCritical says:

Cool! Thanks for using one of my comments! Can’t wait for the next one! interesting lower details on the front fascia!

4. Heosat says:

I’d buy that M1 inspired 3 series concept in a heartbeat.

5. the rear needs to be new..not a copy of the coupe..good effort over all..but i doubt the actual car will be even close.

6. Giom says:

They turned out real nice!

I like the rounder windowsill line and generally everything that has been done to the side graphic. I’m not too crazy about the wheel arches that became too thin at the rim. To me this has always been one of BMWs strong design points… a well profiled wheel arch. A lot of designs out there copied this eliment.

Personally for me, the front end changed too much, but I do enjoy seeing the diversity that can be done with one single car. I too, prefere the M1 style headlights. They do make the car look ultra modern, and I wish for BMW to incorporate this eliment into their future designs -soon!

Congrats on the results – this is a worthy additions to this tread… one that will soon be copied by many other sites!

7. Paul says:

Thats great guys…thanks for using some of my suggestions AND on the pics in lake garda, in Riva where my grandmother was born!!!

8. wazon says:

Car looks great. I like its M1 inspired headlights, coupe’s taillights look a way better than originally applied in e90.

The only thing that does not fit to my taste well is front bumper. The distance between lower higher and lower slat is too big. Maybe higher slat should be a little bit wider or something around this.

9. Artmic says:

I like those a lot more than that red “Volvo” like rendering in that magazine :)

10. viper says:

I dont like any of that , too much old 3er and ole 7er in there witha lil mix of 3er coupe….

11. Mauro Corti says:

Great job Horatiu!!

12. URAGANU says:

The BMW design from Automarket looks like a REAL Come Back of BMW 3 Series. Mean and Gorgeous. Everyone should see it, it’s absolutely pure BMW. Imagine what impact would have on market and streets.

13. mms says:

wow! I must say that I’ve been exploring this blog for a long time but this is my 1st comment so far. BMWBlog is absolutely great. The idea of “be a designer” is stunning! Fantastic job! That is why I’ve decieded to post my 1st comment. Once again – great job! BTW – my series 3 type is the 1st one.

14. AiRit says:

Looks great this is a very fun project.
    I wish to see the real car from this design!

15. Vaybach Khan says:

i appreciate taking my comment on creating rendering…i like the way side turns out ,and grille of course it has that fearful looking that every bimmer should have

16. Josh B says:

Both front rendarings look fantastic! well done guys!
    I dont like the current A4, C-class or 3 series that much but the rendarings above are really amazing.
    The rear doesnt excite me, from what i can see you guys could easily have thought of something more creative as shown in your front rendarings.

Never the less its the best looking rendaring yet and you guys are a talanted bunch and i am very proud to be part of a blog with such amazing passion and talent.

17. Ho-Chul says:

Wow! Looks great!

18. Horatiu B. says:

Thanks guys, I’m glad to see that our project was successful. BMW 7 Series next? What do you think?

19. abqhudson says:

Rear is fine – front is gross. The front seems to be a hodge-podge.

20. VASANTTES says:

there has to be a difference a visual difference between the 3 series and the actual m3, a huge diffrence ,otherwise we loose the passion the emotion of M POWER!…but im not saying that 3 sries has to ugly or poor, if you make a sporty aggrsive 3 series the m3 has to be 4 times more!…hey think about it!..

21. branimir says:

I do not like the angle front bumper-motorhaube, fender is too slim, M back side looks no agressive at all, has no BMW carisma like e46, e36, e36,…front middle part need to be changed it doesn´t fit with the rest of a car, backlights would look better with different optic and the lines are too soft, the part were back bumper (heck scurtze) connects with lights needs to be draged inward (shark tale sample), front bumper looks like it has been pasted from a another car (an had been done very bad),
    i´m an also designer and a great fan of an BMW and i very aware of a fact that once u change some detail you have to change everything else….this work has lots of potencial and maybe i´m just ortodox thinking that BMW needs to be more agressive then it is now like it has used to be…like one you see ˝civil˝ e30 looking agressive and way more better then
    better than the competition…

22. ANKIT says:

It still needs some Change rather probably the butt looks sexy as it is but the Front bumper & headlight should be designed in order to attracrt the customer

23. branimir says:

maybe I´m just an utophist beliving that there shouldn´t be compromises in car design, and that all designers should give the best that they can regardless for who do they work for…being a designer is probably the best job in the world (you have oportunity to leave a mark in history, to make your name immortal like Pininfarina, Bertone, Zagato, Giugiaro, Stola,…)….anyway I´m hoping to see more of these and less of these in the future….BMW uber alles ich glaub so….

24. arsha says:

both car designs are ok but the thing is for this time try to change the body completly and bring some new ideas for 3 series plz coz ive been the same designs with slighty changes in the body from 1 to 6 series from ling time ago i expect more from bmw designers.

25. nabil says:

all looks good except for the grills.. wtf?? it looks like a drowzy car . thats been tortured for a while.. leave the grills to the original aspects and the car while create an ideal image..

26. FARHAAD says:

I want to see a wing shape for the kidney grills.Frameless doors.Thin but longer tail lights.Put the numberplate on the bumper.Use lightweight materials for the body, carbon fibre, grapite, fibre glass and put brighter colours.

27. shikar says:

I make the car less blended and more rugged,it makes the car more muscular.

28. Erebus says:

Very nice! You’ve done a great job