Fifth Gear takes the BMW 330d around the track

3-Series | February 14th, 2009 by 9

The famous Fifth Gear host, Vicky Butler-Henderson, decided to do a trackday with the facelifted version of the BMW 330d. While I haven’t had a chance to drive it personally yet, our collaborator Mauro Corti took the 330d for a spin a few months back. You can read his extensive review here.

But before I will let you watch Vicky pushing the 330d to the max,  let me give you a quick refresher of the car’s specs:

BMW 330d

• 245 PS @ 4,000 rpm
  • 520 Nm (383 lb-ft) @ 1,750 – 3,000 rpm
  • 0-62 mph in 6.1 sec
  • 49 mpg hwy / 32 mpg city / 35 mpg combined
  • 152 g/km CO2
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcO54mOyZl4[/youtube]
TAGS:

9 Responses to “Fifth Gear takes the BMW 330d around the track”

1. Doug says:

Very interesting… didn’t realize it was a turbodiesel. How does the variable geometry turbos that they’re now using compare with the sequential big/small turbos in the 335i/d engine?

Her comments about the handling are interesting, and disappointing, although not entirely surprising. Did this car have either of the ZSP or ZHP suspensions?

2. @Doug: Looks like the M Sport suspension.

3. Gord says:

Is it just me or does that track look really narrow ?

4. Mauro corti says:

Acutally it’s Corti not Conti :)

5. Ezh says:

Could you please convert the acceleration, max. speed and consuption numbers also to km/h and liters per 100 km? The europeans will apreciate it. :)

Tnx!

6. Doug says:

@Andrew Murphy: Do you mean the sports package? They may be the M wheels. I don’t think the M package options have any suspension options (or even anything performance-related). So you’d want to combine the M with ZSP or ZHP.

I’m very curious which suspension she’s actually critiquing.

7. Doug says:

@Ezh: Oh not the metric system again!! Will that outmoded, backward system of measurement never die??

You just cannot get the tangible sense of things unless they’re measured in firkins, jiggers or furlongs.

8. @Doug: My guess is it’s a M tuned suspension.

I say that because BMW.co.uk’s site reads “M Sport Suspension” when you choose a 330d M Sport Saloon to spec out. So, this is probably something a little lower and firmer than the standard sport suspension in the US.

9. Ezh says:

Doug, outmoded is the american/english mile system. All normal countries use the standard metric system. ;)

USA as well is slowly moving to metric system.