What if the BMW 135i SuperSport will look like this…

1-series | January 23rd, 2009 by 41
1ersupersport 1

I know I’m throwing myself to the wolves here, but let’s speculate a little bit. In the photo below, you can see a very speculative rendering of what the the BMW 135i SuperSport might look like. The computer generated image was created by the famous Huckfeldt, at Auto Bild. He is one of the most reliable source for getting information on how vehicles will look like many years in advance.

With that being said, I am pretty sure that his sources gave him some details on which direction BMW will go with their new design, so even thought the final product will not be identical, I wouldn’t be surprised if many design elements from his rendering will be reflected onto the production vehicle.

1ersupersport 1 498x331

What do we know about the 135i SuperSport?

We know that BMW will be more adventurous with their new 1 Series, moving away from the “safe design” we see right now. We know that BMW needs to offer a new car for its enthusiasts, something that will replace the so-missed M1. With them moving towards smaller, more efficient cars, it is only wise to develop a super sporty car based on a 1 Series platform.

The 1 Series SuperSport will differentiate from the regular BMW 135i with the Performance Package, by adding upgraded performance parts. The Supersport will be limited to the Coupe body style and it will use lightweight materials, such as Carbon Fiber Roof, hood or bootlid, lightweight glass. Upgraded suspensions and brakes will give the impression and feel of an M car, but without the M badge.

With the current BMW vehicles getting heavier and larger with each generation, BMW is looking into sacrificing certain cabin comfort equipment, with the clear goal of reducing the car’s general weight.

And this brings us to the engine discussion. With the BMW 120i and 135i being considered the ideal candidates for a SuperSport model, then the four-cylinder twin-turbo engine comes back in play. We learned early last year that a 4 cyl twin-turbo engine is in works and BMW is trying to push that engine to its limit. Last I heard, the engine was outputting 240 hp, but we could expect more from the final product.

Obviously, the BMW 135i SuperSports will be powered by a tuned up version of the many times award winning 6 cylinder twin-turbo engine.

Who would BMW target with the SuperSport model?

The BMW 1 Series Coupe is a very popular choice among young enthusiasts migrating from the MINI brand or even from the competitors, such as Mercedes CLC. Young professionals that can’t yet afford an M3 or M5, would fit the demographic. Basically, any BMW fans “falling” into the gap between a 135i Coupe and an M3, would become potential buyers.

Returning to the original question: what if the BMW SuperSports will look like this, will you dig it?

[Photo Source: Autobild ]

41 responses to “What if the BMW 135i SuperSport will look like this…”

1. adood84 says:

well the rendering is missing the “Hofmeister kink” so I don’t consider the rendering to be a BMW anyway

2. aden clark says:

Its a different car than any another car in the same segment. Its new design is safe, adventuros and enthusiastic car.
    It is only wise to develop a super sporty ,BMW 135i SuperSport .

3. rcm3 says:

That’s painful to look at and I’m usually fairly tolerant of predictive renderings. Aside from the despirate incorporation of the concept-M1 headlights I don’t really see much resemblance to anything BMW is working on at all.

4. Matski says:

Yup, that is ugly in maximum overdrive mode…

No Hoffmeister, completely heritage-less kidneys, nothing recognizable about BMW at all about the headlights…

… in fact if it looks like this, I’m going to turn to the darkside and buy an Audi.

5. MarcAnthony says:

NO…..the only cool thing about that is the mirrors…and I have a 135i….but that just looks grotesque….

6. adood84 says:

the fog lights look like the have come from the Phantom, front has some resemblance to the Phantom drop head coupe

7. Mauro Corti says:

Well it is strange to say but… OMFG this is simply TERRIBLE!!!

What the hell is the meaning of those round lights??? If the designers wanted to follow a new style with the M1 Hommage headlights fine, but what’s the meaning in having those round ones? Just to remember “Hey I’m a BMW” ? Because apart from the round lights, nothing here says “I’m a BMW”, and that’s terrifying in my humble opinion…

No no, I really don’t like it, this can’t be a bmw. Otherwise, like Matski said, many bimmers will turn to Audi…

8. Brookside says:

Looks like something from the former communist east european countries…the bad copy of a western design.
    A case study in awkward proportions.
    Huck usually gets it mostly right…this time…looks like a bad day at the office.

9. Mauro Corti says:

Ahahah brookside you are SO right :)

10. Gord says:

No I don’t like it. I don’t like those X1 foglights, the M1 Hommage lights, the messed up kidney grille, a *beep* roofline, and no hofmeister kink.

Mirrors are nice though. :D

11. jkp says:

Terrible. Looks like a neo-Edsel.

12. Gragop says:

The concept sounds great but this pic doesn’t do any favors for that. Head lamps from a Roller Phantom and a grill stolen from a Charger.

I actually like the styling of the current 1 Series but if BMW waits to implement the idea on the new 1 Series – don’t go retro in styling, make it a foward thinking design that’s sporty…don’t give it 1970’s M Stripes, etc…

13. The Lee says:

MY EYES!!!!!!

14. izzy says:

i really hope this render is completely wrong…….

gotta run to the bathroom, can feel my dinner coming up!

15. Horatiu B. says:

@izzy: It will not look the same, but…I have no doubt it will have some similarities.

16. Gragop says:

@Horatiu B.:

Maybe, but the BMW line-up should never have exterior styling cues carrying over from Rolls Royce or MINI and vice versa.

17. Horatiu B. says:

@Gragop: I was told last night that they 135i SuperSports looks amazing :) That’s all i could get and can share :)

18. Gragop says:

@Horatiu B.:

I’d trust that, BMW is on a design upswing now, in my opnion. We’re past the initial awkwardness of the E65 and E60 and moving forward with a fully developed design language now.

19. Black says:

Lets face it. That rendering is terrible. It looks like a Dodge or a Chevy with kidneys. Everything from the lateral window line to the nose screams Chevy. Even the color.

A sorry attempt IMO.

20. Frederico Silva says:

that fog lights from the rolls-royce are totally unpropocional from the rest of the car…

21. Alex M. says:

I just puked a little in my mouth.

22. Sam says:

@Alex M.: Did it taste better the second time?

23. kodey says:

EW how about nooo.

24. Not a big fan of the “nose”, but I would love to see the SuperSports featuring a more aggressive front-end. The current one is fine, but not breathtaking.

• Horatiu B. says:

Quote from a BMW employee out of Munich: “Although the Huckfeldt interpretation may disgust but it is on the line of BMW’s thinking for the next generation of the 1er. When the economy picks up again There is the understanding that people might be looking for something new and different in a car and BMW aim to focus on that mindset .”
      I’m not always right, but when I am, I AM :)))

25. patricksixer says:

Bleh, doesn’t look very BMW at all. No Hofmeister kink, weird round headlights below…the headlights?, uninspiring greenhouse. Current one is worlds better. Not that this doesn’t have some good elements, I like the headlights, if they take away the lower circular ones and fix up the kidneys to look normal/attractive, it could have a nice mean looking front end. Fixing the greenhouse is self explanatory…Hofmeister kink (unless they plan on going FWD?! which I believe was refuted in another story)

26. Kris says:

Looks like ass. I like the headlights though, hate the circular lights below.

27. I see a lot of Rolls-Royce in there. I don’t think it will be this drastic, but it will definitely be a huge step in a different design direction

28. joshua says:

i don’t think BMW would put their name on this!!!

29. Horatiu B. says:

@joshua: Actually, they might, that’s according to all the inside news we have heard lately. Of course, it won’t be identical, but…along the same idea

30. adam says: