Exclusive: First 2009 BMW 5 Series sporting the new iDrive

5-series | September 18th, 2008 by 13

Updated: Close up photo Updated 2: Jimmy gave us some bad news, the US spec 5 Series has the new iDrive controller, but it does …

Updated: Close up photo

Updated 2: Jimmy gave us some bad news, the US spec 5 Series has the new iDrive controller, but it does NOT have the new CIC hard drive based system nor the new LCD. Sorry folks!

Thanks to Jimmy O., we can show some exclusive photos of the new iDrive system being featured in a BMW 550i. As we mentioned yesterday, to our surprise, BMW indeed decided to include the revamped and improved iDrive Navigation System in the 5 and 6 Series as well, contrary to the last months reports where we were lead to believe that only the 1,3 and 7 Series will see the iDrive revision.

As I promised before, I stopped speculating and decided to wait for a physical proof, which came today, with Jimmy’s help. He has ordered a BMW 550i U.S specs from Germany, through the Military program. The car went into production on September 1st and it is ready for pick-up at a german dealership.

The photos might not be the best, but if you look closer, you can see the navigational buttons around the iDrive knob, which clearly indicates that the 550i comes equipped with the new Car Infotainment Computer.

We should have some better pictures soon, for those of you that are still in doubt :)

Thank you again Jimmy O!

idrive closeup1 498x373 Exclusive: First 2009 BMW 5 Series sporting the new iDrive

idrive 498x373 Exclusive: First 2009 BMW 5 Series sporting the new iDrive

13 Responses to “Exclusive: First 2009 BMW 5 Series sporting the new iDrive”

1. adood84 says:

that gear knob us hideous lol

2. Joe says:

From what I have heard the 5 and 6 er are only getting the new NOB not the actual system. So unless BMW is release fals information to the dealers I am curious to see what happens.

3. BMW Freak says:

Hi BMW Fans
    please look at http://www.bmw.de/de/de/newvehicles/5series/touring/2007/allfacts/equipment/communication.html
    so you can see the new I-Drive on BMW.de

4. Horatiu B. says:

@Joe: Joe, we’re gonna find out in the next few hours. So far, we know that there is a new knob and the car is U.S specs.

5. vtsung says:

It looks so similar to mmi in my 07 A8 & S8; the idrive in my 08 535xi works just as good as the mmi by just twisting the joystick 4 directions. What is the big deal for us Americans? We are even lazy up to the point for not using a little more fingers exercise. By the way, the touch shift gears Steptronic Aut. Trns., would be the best feature in the 5ers if the P button be located on the bottom instead of on the top.

6. Joe says:

@Horatiu B.: Believe me it even has a DVD drive in the picture – should say something. Hopefully everyone can confirm. I just don’t see BMW releasing this in the e60-62 (yet) simply because of the fact that it just may kill the residuals and values of the current stock not to mention the fact that there was already a refresh and its not the last year of production to encourage people to buy this platform still.

7. Horatiu B. says:

@Joe: The DVD is in being used for playing videos, at least that’s what I heard.

8. adood84 says:

well the link BMW freak posted confirms that the 5er series touring has the new system and not just the knob , so I guess this does have the new system too

9. Horatiu B. says:

Update: Jimmy gave us some bad news, the US spec 5 Series has the new iDrive controller, but it does NOT have the new CIC hard drive based system nor the new LCD. Sorry folks!

10. Ady says:

I have heard the new HD based Sat-Nav system will be incorporated from Nov builds onwards.

11. kosovaars says:

mijn pa heeft een x6 een 7reeks de nieuwste en ook een 5 serie 550i

12. Jim Johnston says:

I have had a 135i convertibel M sport built April 09 due to me June in Australia. Full options.

I am told the flip up screen is now gone fo rthe moulded fixed screen is this correct? Will this build have the new idrive with built in hard drive and HD DVD?

Its been a long wait, placed the order 16th Jan.